Diesel IN CVRT worth it or not

Norbo

So i have the chance of a new Diesel motor and gear box for my Scimitar . Is it worth the time and money to get it and have it fitted . does it add value to the vehicle and if so how much . i dont want to spend more then it adds . All so what would be a price for such a motor and what would you expect to pay for it to be fitted . there is a lot involved gear box pipe hook up and so on i appreciate its not a simple job and has many other things that will need to be changed at the same time . So your advice is welcome. 

From my experience, the petrol is better. I have used both for driver training over several years, and the diesel has big disadvantages; heavier-the front end sits lower and requires raising on the torsion bars.limited rev & power band. not as fast.not as quick on acceleration. bad vibration that leads to engine mount failure, belt tensioner failure, and engine driveshaft failure. See my 'modified' diesel on you tube-tap in PKE646L

terry 

well im still waiting for a price its just a lot of people say they would prefer one and they did swap them as the jag ones blew up every few weeks when in use so i was told . Not the same for road use i know but when is service they got fed up of fixing them so replaced them ,

MoD were forced into dieselising vehicles as part of the NATO common fuel policy. Petrols had an electronic rev limiter fitted, restricting the J60 to 4750 rpm (about 50 mph). Squaddie trick was to remove the fuse, and you could then get 60mph-maybe more........ 

It's all down to personnel preference at the end of the day. As far as reliability of service petrol engine all comes down to simplicity and crew maintenance.  The 2 stroke diesel Chieftains had a very poor reputation but the ones in preservation don't get everywhere near the same abuse.1

May be for the cost ill just stick with jag then i expected every one to say how great they were a lot better  get one if you can . Thats good what about fuel injection on the jag then any one done that 

Think ill just keep whats in its just every one seems to thing they were better but not on hear and may be ill just stick with what i have then ill always go on advice with thins kind of thing as i have no experience with these things at all /

Main thing with the Jaguar engine is to keep it running at the right temperature. Do not let sediment build up in the system, it tends to settle at the rear of the block. J60 is basicaly a derated 4.2 XK engine with 24volt electrics, so parts are easy to obtain. Fuel injection is an easy option but the more power the more heat and you start the worry of transmission problems. I would guess that about 10% up would not hurt as it will not be running the extended periods that it did in service. Another thing to remember is keep the engine breather filter clear as they do not like positive crankcase pressure it makes them smokey. With the use of an endascope you can look in down behind the front timing cover to check the lower chain tensioner and make sure it is in place. 

Edited by john1950
addition

The other thing to remember about the diesel conversion is that there are around 200 other parts that need changing. There are holes to drill and cut, bulkheads to modify or replace and the whole engine deck is different. If you really wanted to do the conversion you’d almost need another vehicle as a donor, so you might as well buy the diesel to begin with.

2 hours ago, sirhc said:

The other thing to remember about the diesel conversion is that there are around 200 other parts that need changing. There are holes to drill and cut, bulkheads to modify or replace and the whole engine deck is different. If you really wanted to do the conversion you’d almost need another vehicle as a donor, so you might as well buy the diesel to begin with.

yer as i said ill just stick with it as is seems like a lot of trouble and expense for not a lot of gain. But i had to ask .

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanted to be really different, you could try one of these: "These conversions are fully-reversible and can be applied to any XK engine powered classic Jaguar built between 1948 and 1992."  🙂

Andy

Jaguar Project Zero 633135OA.jpg

Edited by andym

Not a CVRT, but rather a CVRW [Fox], The J60 type 1 cams drive a Fan gear box. I have the later J60 in the shop [from a CVRT] and no Cam gearbox on it. Understand heads are not interchangeable due to different cooling passages so looking to install 24 volt electric fans. anyone out there done this ...ideas?  Newc in Oregon USA

Edited by Newcoregon
spelling

1 hour ago, Newcoregon said:

Not a CVRT, but rather a CVRW [Fox], The J60 type 1 cams drive a Fan gear box. I have the later J60 in the shop [from a CVRT] and no Cam gearbox on it. Understand heads are not interchangeable due to different cooling passages so looking to install 24 volt electric fans. anyone out there done this ...ideas?  Newc in Oregon USA

You seem to be implying that the fans are driven off the J60 camshaft? Wrong!

Fans are driven by toothed belt from the crankshaft. When the J60 was in service I have fitted ones built for CVR(T) in to the Fox when engines were unavailable and it was only a question of swapping some external components including crankshaft pulley.

Richard

9 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

You seem to be implying that the fans are driven off the J60 camshaft? Wrong!

Fans are driven by toothed belt from the crankshaft. When the J60 was in service I have fitted ones built for CVR(T) in to the Fox when engines were unavailable and it was only a question of swapping some external components including crankshaft pulley.

Richard

Perhaps a copy of the parts book and or user manual might aid understanding? As Richard says, the engines are the same. We swapped a T engine to a W engine for our Fox, as have many others.

If you need a crank shaft fan drive flange I might be able to help.

On 5/26/2018 at 6:49 PM, agripper said:

Have you any photos of the new toy and condition?

Yes i Started a thread on on it in the rebuild section. well its more of a clean up then a rebuild but i didn't know were to post so i just did it there  

On 5/26/2018 at 6:49 PM, agripper said:

I think the original poster has his answer about the complexity of doing the conversion but I must say I like driving our diesel Scimitar a bit more than the J60 versions. The Cummins engine has a fantastic reputation for reliability, it starts so quickly in any weather it startles me, and it has tons of low-down power. 

I'm curious, the much lower rpm limit must have required different gearing. Is that the case? 

Malcolm

5 hours ago, sexton said:

I think the original poster has his answer about the complexity of doing the conversion but I must say I like driving our diesel Scimitar a bit more than the J60 versions. The Cummins engine has a fantastic reputation for reliability, it starts so quickly in any weather it startles me, and it has tons of low-down power. 

I'm curious, the much lower rpm limit must have required different gearing. Is that the case? 

Malcolm

The cummins produces all its torque much lower down the rev scale, so it needs a much bigger clutch with a larger surface area, and as chris says a different set of input gears to try and achieve the same performance levels using a diesel with a much lower maximum rpmThe MoD have gone through 3 substantial gearbox modifications in an effort to improve reliability (bearing in mind the cummins was downrated to suit the CVRT)  when a much better overall solution would have been to use a common rail diesel and remap it to suit the petrol gearbox. This has been done by a company using a 3.2 litre with astonishing results.Terry