FWD gets new shoes

bobs1918

After   waiting    in  the  que for  over  1 year  the  FWD  now  has new tires  courtesy  of  the Canton  Bandag  Co.  of  Canton  Ohio.  They   reproduce the Overman  Cushion  brand of  hard  rubber  tires.  In  the next  few   weeks   we  should  have  the   wheels  sandblasted and  painted   , bearings  seals installed  and  tires mounted  on  the  wheels.  Here  is  a  picture of  the   new   tires  and a  reminder picture of my  truck   which  has  a  pretty  rare  mobile  machine/repair  truck  body also pictured

FWD tires.jpg

fwdltrailer004.jpg

fwdequiprepairtruck2 (2).png

Edited by bobs1918
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What fantastic tyres!!!

They look as if they have been properly molded in steel or aluminium dies. Can you tell me more about the process and how you persuaded the company to make you just a few? I am assuming that you didn't have hundreds made to spread the cost? Do you know if they are willing to repeat the process with different molds? Dare I ask to the nearest $10,000 how much they were?

The last tyre in your top picture (the one propped up against the pile of modern tyres ) seems to have a join mark. What is this?

I find it hard to imagine why there has not been a greater response  in admiration for you persevering and getting your lorry such an amazing set of tyres.

Best wishes,

Barry from the North East of England.

Edited by Asciidv

Hi  Barry

Firstly   the  cost   was  about   1100 USD  per  tire.Plus the cost  to  ship  the  rims 360  USD and then  to  ship  the  completed  tires back  to  me   500 USD  I  provided  my  clean  rims  with  old  rubber removed.  The  company is  the  only  one  in  the  US  that  still  makes  molds to process these  tires. Not  sure   what the  molds  are  made  out  of. One  set  of  molds  for  a  set of  4  tires.   The  wait  time  was  about  1  year. Still  waiting  for  the  sand blaster  to   blast  my   wheels  so  that  I  can  paint  and  then  mount  the  tires. The  excess  rubber  that  you  see  was  shaved down before  the  tires   were  shipped  to me. .  Thanks  for  your kind  comments

Bob

Edited by bobs1918

That  makes  little  sense  to  me  .   There  were   multiple  tire/wheel  makers  I  for one  have  3  firestone   and  1 goodyear  on  my  truck  and  rims  are  slightly  different.  and  do NOT  interchange.  Maybe the  plan  is  to  make   rims  and  tires  for  the  Liberty  truck  which  IS standardized. That  still leaves  a  LOT  of  trucks  out  of  the  loop.

Bob - on most UK commercials, the tyres are standardised sizes, with press on bands.

The wheel diameters that come to mind for me are:

670mm, 720mm, 741mm, 771mm, 850mm, 871mm. I'm sure others here know of more.

I've also come across some Goodyear solid tyres, which are sized by the OD, but are still press on.So it could be that they are press on tyres for standard rims?

I'd guess you're probably much too light to worry about it, but one thing that does require caution with solids is that the compound (and presumably hardness) needs to be reasonably equivalent to the original ones. Heavily loaded and at "high" speeds (20-25 mph), after 20-30 miles the tyres can get very hot, and I've seen the results of a solid tyre overheating so much that it burst. A huge mess, with molten rubber spraying out and adhering to what it landed on. My guess is that it's related to the tyres being softer than original, which means you get more heating through hysteresis.

• 1 month later...

I believe  that  these  are  original  to  the  truck  I  have  seen  other  photos  with  the  panels

I  believe  when  the side  gates  are  dropped  down   a  stake  is  placed  in  the  ground   and   under  the  wooden  panel  to  give   extra   support  to  the  side  gate

• 1 month later...

Back  to  work  o  the  FWD. Had  it  sandblasted   . The guy  who  did  it   spent 6  hours  on  it  and  still  left   much for  me  to  do.  Once  it  was  done   I  had to   get  some   primer on  the  bare  metal   or  else well  you know  what  can  happen. Here  are  some  pictures  before  and  after  blasting  . Interesting is  that  a  previous  owner   reversed  the  tailgate  for   no apparent  reason.  Easy to   put it   right. Note  the  picture  with  the  sides  lowered.  ALso  missing the  two  middle  stantions   on  the  body  . Will  have  to  fabricate  them. I  used  and  epoxy  primer  seasler. Messy as  hell  and  clogged two  guns.  Anyone  have  a  better  choice  for   priming??IMG_5539.thumb.JPG.336f5683f8bc58c54e99dc6c2ac53ac0.JPGIMG_5539.thumb.JPG.336f5683f8bc58c54e99dc6c2ac53ac0.JPG   IMG_5551.thumb.JPG.85d4ead9ce54ec1c209f657fadf716ab.JPGIMG_5580.thumb.JPG.c2ddb082f76fa2f7d196504c52b79671.JPGIMG_5587.thumb.JPG.8e485921bd9d1589080cd22c490b26df.JPGIMG_5638.thumb.JPG.56a2a08475e79fff3f465734f7b7a349.JPGIMG_5636.thumb.JPG.a63daa888ba0d5120064b355f538ef26.JPGIMG_5634.thumb.JPG.f7eb4fc3cdf05a97a1b34695bb4c1781.JPGIMG_5631.thumb.JPG.c955a35e0bca4942367a38ace5ce6596.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks    Hope  to have  it  all  prepped  for  paint  in  a  week.  Need to  get  the   wheels   completely  painted   and then  mount the  rubber   so the  truck  can  be  moved  from   present  location   to my  home  for   mechanical   work  to commence. Will  continue  with  updates  as   it moves along

• Like 1

Looks fabulous, well done. First coat of "epoxy etch primer" should go on before afternoon chill, thinned usually by about 10% to 20%. Use a strainer cone (from auto paint shop) to fill your gun. A 1.8 tip should do the job. Once the etch primer is on you can relax as it will protect from weather for a month or so. Use the sander filler only when you are ready to do the full paint so that is fresh to receive following coats. You will need a 2.0  or larger tip  to handle the solids in the filler coat.

ps the blaster is not using an independent filtered air feed (to his non existent helmet) and should have been sent off site until he got properly equipped.

13 hours ago, Citroman said:

Will the blasting not have left sand between the spring leafs?

Perhaps  on  the  outside edge  but I  will   reexamine   when   I  get  o  the  technical/mechanical  part  of  the project. 

10 hours ago, mammoth said:

Looks fabulous, well done. First coat of "epoxy etch primer" should go on before afternoon chill, thinned usually by about 10% to 20%. Use a strainer cone (from auto paint shop) to fill your gun. A 1.8 tip should do the job. Once the etch primer is on you can relax as it will protect from weather for a month or so. Use the sander filler only when you are ready to do the full paint so that is fresh to receive following coats. You will need a 2.0  or larger tip  to handle the solids in the filler coat.

ps the blaster is not using an independent filtered air feed (to his non existent helmet) and should have been sent off site until he got properly equipped.

Thanks  I  did use a  2mm  gun  for  that PLUS  I  used  a  respirator for  painting.  The  fact  that  the blaster  operated  as  he  did well   it  was  his  business  his   responsibility my  thoughts  as  well

• 2 weeks later...

Good  day  today  .mounted  the  two  front  tires  and  installed inner   wheel bearings. The bearings  had  been   seized on  the  axles   and  required   a  lot  of  pressure  to  separate  them.  To  reinstall  them we spent  several hours honing  the   inner  aspect.   Interesting  is  that  3  of  the  4  wheels   were  Firestones the  4th was either   Goodyear  or  Goodrich   There  was  a  "G" on  the  bolts  and  this  one  had   straight  bearings   The  Firestones  had  tapered  bearings.  The  wheels  them  selves  were   slightly   different  as  well the  "G" wheel  has  the  tire   mounted  slightly  offset  from center. The  Firestones  also  have  a  slot  that  the  rim  slides  into  when  mounting. Both  are  retained  on  the wheel   by   a  wedge inside  and  out   which  itself  is  held fast   by  the  outer  rings. These are hold  the  wedges   and   when  drawn   in  seat  the   wedges  and   center ,or  in  the  case  of  the  "G"  wheel, slightly  off  center the  mounting  of  the   rim  tire  assembly

IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

IMG_5776.JPG

IMG_5777.JPG

IMG_5778.JPG

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5781.JPG

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5771.JPG

• Like 3