engine change

2e0prp

just wondering if anyone has fitted a different engine in a ql , if so what engine , reason so i can rebuild the original engine which would take time and save  for later, basically the same as the  morris / land rover engine swop , if anyone can help look forward to your info , pete     

• 4 weeks later...

Theres one going around with a cummins 6bt in it witht the 5 speed ZF box, it was on the Guernsey tour in 2015. a perkins 6354 would work nicely aswell, along with a stronger gearbox. 

i put a Nissan SD33 into an OX using the original bellhousing clutch and gearbox etc, works a treat and was a fairly simple conversion. 

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, john1950 said:

Way back when Perkins, P6 was the engine of choice. A Perkins 6354 would be a good fit.

A 6.354 is a tight fit in a QL. A friend in Australia did this conversion about 18 years ago and I spent a week helping him. As he had a compressor on the engine, he opted to change the brake system so it was air over hydraulic instead of vacuum. This worked OK but there was no where to mount the handbrake lever conveniently so we put a spring brake and air control hand brake instead. The engine had a Turner 5 speed box as I recall. It is a much larger engine than the P6 which was a favourite conversion in the 1950's. Had a short ride in it years later and it is a bit noisy in the cab. I much prefer mine with the old 28hp Bedford engine. The transfer box was deemed to be a bit lightweight for the increased torque and using it for bush and desert driving so my friend used a CMP transfer box which is a lot stronger..

regards, Richard

Back in the 1980's, Colin Anderson the well known military vehicle restorer , installed a GMC 270 into his QL Bedford. He drove it to Corowa one year and later on he sold it to somebody in Sydney. It was used in a TV series as a Jap truck in Malaya !

28 minutes ago, goanna said:

Back in the 1980's, Colin Anderson the well known military vehicle restorer , installed a GMC 270 into his QL Bedford. He drove it to Corowa one year and later on he sold it to somebody in Sydney. It was used in a TV series as a Jap truck in Malaya !

Mike,

This is probably the same QL as Ron has mentioned as the owner bought it from a well known collector in Sydney with the 270 already fitted. The current owner got the 'bug' for one after riding in my QL some years ago.

regards, Richard

Just to throw an idea out there, I'm currently converting a UK Land Rover to a Spanish made Santana 3.4lt 6 cylinder diesel engine, which is basically a Land Rover 2.25 diesel with 2 extra cylinders, repositioned injector pump and timing gears. I'v no idea what work would be involved but it had got me thinking if this would be a good engine to fit into something like a QL? (all the parts like the injectors, pistons, con rods etc are the same as the standard 2.25 diesel engines) 

The main point to look at is the rpm range of the engine to be replaced. This will give you an idea of the engine to look at ,if to low revving you become a hazard to other road users, aim for 45 to 50 mph max ,then people will  not get so inpatient .hope this helps.