Jeep guidance please

No Signals

Hiya fellas, I'd appreciate any input from those 'in the know' regarding this jeep.  They have been an unknown territory to me so would appreciate some honest opinions.  Some pics and a video to be seen here.  The bi tof research I've done shows it as having a replacement bonnet hinge and there appears to be some kind of gauge under the bonnet I didn't expect to see.  So, over to you chaps.

https://youtu.be/RjkRYZp2TuE

jeeps-l1600.jpg

jeeps-l1600a.jpg

jeeps-l1600b.jpg

jeeps-l1600c.jpg

jeeps-l1600d.jpg

jeeps-l1600e.jpg

jeeps-l1600f.jpg

jeeps-l1600g.jpg

jeeps-l1600h.jpg

jeepss-l1600b.jpg

Not so bad as it goes but at the right price, 

• Frame number tag is the wrong design for a jeep purporting to be in that frame number range, from frame number MB 339842 ( June 44 to end of production Sep 45) it should be the larger plate labeled 'Jeep Willys scout car' small point but it indicates that all may not be as it seems. 
  • Body has extra holes as well holes that should have fixings and fittings that are missing,
  • The gauge you can see under the bonnet is the oil pressure gauge that is doing not a jot of good in that position where you can't see it at all times and should be in the vacant hole in the lower left of the dash cluster
  • The rest of the gauges with the exception of the ammeter look wrong and are either post war or civilian replacements
  • The dash has extra holes cut into it
  • The hand throttle and choke knobs are in the wrong place
  • The main rotary light switch is missing
  • Ignition switch is wrong it should be a turn switch not keyed.
  • no blackout light switch
  • No door strap loops on the bulkhead
  • Wrong carb it's fitted with a Solex (WoF) should be a Carter WO
  • No rubber seal between the scuttle and the windscreen
  • Addition of free wheeling hubs on the front axle, some people like them but not correct for war time vehicle  

Non of this is deal breaking but it would need to come at the right price ( and that up to you to decide what that is) and will require work which will include welding shut extra holes the body and anything else that may appear when the paint is removed then a full repaint afterwards and some additional purchases to obtain the correct fittings

Pete 

Edited by Pete Ashby
missing bullet point

seen this one in person (wouldn't turn over mind) 

the wheels all need replacing (cracks in the side etc) 

off the top of my head this isn't being fuelled by the tank but by a bottle on the driver side of the engine just out of shot

also suspected the tub maybe a newer one 

he front horns and eyelets on the front would suggest this would have been a MZ radio jeep, Which are quite rare There are lots of other tell tale signs that need to be checked to confirm this

• PTO that bolts to the transfer box ( although this could be easily removed)
  • Oval hole in the base of the glove box
  • A slot cut out of the body on the gear box hump to allow the PTO dive to come through the floor to drive a charging set for a radio
  • The gun mount on the chassis is drilled differently (basically not to carry a machine gun but to bolt down a charging set)
  • reasonably sized hole in the side of the body by drivers seat ( this was to attach a radio mast).

If it is a true MZ these are very desirable and hard to come by an original that hasn't been messed around with. I have put a few pictures up of the one I have been restoring which should be ready for sale at the end of this month. based in the Derbyshire area if anyone is interested. I also have a second MZ complete but will be sold as a restoration project.

5a4e2e64cdcf1_Picturesaa22.thumb.jpg.e164041116a932a826f6066aae5fa4af.jpg20151005_193258.thumb.jpg.59a317589d5391ad019e72ac0246d66f.jpg5a4e2e85d9a00_Picturesaa333.thumb.jpg.fa98c9ccdaaaea1edccfcf4cea7854cf.jpg5a4e310ceba10_Picturesaa44.thumb.jpg.aee85fd8dab2b4717adce20b1787836d.jpg

Pictures aa11.jpeg

505310531.jpg

217ab81379cfeee3_large.jpg

Looks like a replacement tank as well, which is not a good likeness to the original shape, particularly at the corners. That might explain why there are no hold-down straps for the fuel tank. Presumably that’s not a problem if it is not in use though. Wouldn’t want to drive it though if the tank is being put to it’s intended use.

As Pete has said, don’t buy as a restored vehicle for a restored vehicle price. Instead consider as an assembled starter kit for a detailed factory or motor pool restoration depending on your intentions and be prepared to part with more money to do the job properly.

Thanks for the valued input gents, very much appreciated.  I shall go over again your points and decide if I want to pursue it further.  In fairness I am more after one that has been done, rather than needs doing from top to bottom.  I don't have the health and the time to start again with a major project, so using your experience is a valuable resource.  Thanks again.

Jeeps have always seemed too expensive for what they are :-)

Moving on from the previous vehicle, I'm in touch with another guy who has one for sale.  It seems a much better buy than the previous - but is a lot more money (surprise , surprise).  However he freely admits that the vehicle eats a set of points and its condenser every year.  What might be causing that, or is it something I can expect from being an owner?

It's not a big deal really,  there are some very poor condensers on the market  coming in from China the points issue is a bit odd but ties in with a failing condenser it could also be related to an issue with the dwell it's a two minute job with a meter to fix it.

Pete

"Jeeps have always seemed too expensive for what they are :-)"  I dont think so.  They have risen in price (guesstimate)' about 20 to 25% over the past three years so on average, they are around twice as expensive as they were five years ago.......on average.  Driven I guess cos' they are iconic WW2 vehicles, car-like in terms of maintenance and easy to store in a garage.  But (for me) they are now just too much money for something that is very common, somewhat fragile due to basic build quality (a strength if you need to produce lots of vehicles quickly and cheaply) and not very practical in terms of load carrying and weather protection.  Sour grapes?  Probably! ✌