GMPG. Gimpy

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Hi Steve.

The GPMG on D&B website is one of the best I have made. Even the transport box is a replica of the correct British army issue.

The cost represents the work involved in sourcing, purchasing and manufacturing  all the parts needed together with the many hours of assembly, fitting and finishing the replica to a realistic finish, and even D&B have to make a profit.

You should always see and handle goods of this price range as photos and descriptions do not always give the full story. A good test is to see if it fits in the vehicle mount you use. I know my ones fit as they are assembled on a fixed mount with the correct mounting pins and the first rivet holes drilled in situ....so it will fit.

I suspect that the price of these replicas will not depreciate as they will only be made in small numbers and even my stock of parts is limited to what is available on the rapidly diminishing market with subsequent increase in prices. I believe that some time ago a real GPMG from the Manroy factory was priced in the region of £12,000 but that is another level of manufacturing!

Each replica is individually made (usually to a given specification) and can be built to many different variants. The side plate is engraved on my CNC mill and I can write whatever numbers and wording required. There is a vast array of many of the items involved in the construction and the weapon can be configured to replicate a specific model and even an cherished serial number.

I have recently done an L37 and L8 for tanker use with interchangeable barrels, sustained fire butts, tanker top covers and electric, manual and pistol grip triggers.

I have 2 versions of wooden stocks, second-hand (a bit bashed about) narrow neck ones (early British and FN) and also new wooden versions in the same shape as the later plastic ones. There are 2 slight variants of the plastic one (presumably from different subcontractors) and the sustained fire butt. Then there are both new and used on most variants, aluminium and steel main buffers (ally is good for lightness but steel is better for durability) and 3 different butt plates (early oval, British army type and m240B type). As all these parts are interchangeable and can be assembled to requirements.

There are variants of barrel, feed tray, sling swivels, rear sight viewer, front sight blade, gas block, gas regulator, carry handle, top cover, bullet feed mechanism, ejection trapdoor, barrel latch, top cover bolt, pistol grip assembly pin, cocking handle, bipod, flashider, bipod latch, gas piston tube,  and many others. So the list of variants is endless...and don't forget the finishing touches. You can have new condition, slightly used, battle scarred, phosphated, original Suncorite baked finish, camouflaged and even a Herefordshire SAS green all over.

Accessories include sustained fire tripod, vehicle mounts, slings, various transport boxes, ammo boxes, Picatini mounts, 50 round clip-on magazine, practice rounds, de-act rounds, and many more.

I think you should consider if the one at D&B is the right spec for you and buy it if you can afford it. Its still available now, I think.

You could PM me with your requirements or come and visit my workshop in Kent.

You may end up with more than you bargained for as I also do 30 an 50cal to the same standard.

3 of my 50cals were recently used in 'Dunkirk' film.

Jon

GunBoat1Velo2.jpg

20170908_151647.jpg

• Like 1

I agree.

There doesn't seem much point in making a replica if you can tell it from the real thing.

I found a picture of my 50 Cal. gunboat prototype for 'Dunkirk' and one of a finished 50 Cal. that was used on the boat in an anti-aircraft role for the Sandwich 40's weekend.  There was a 20mm Poulsen, three Lewis Guns and my 50 Cal. all making a lot of noise...great. The other two 50 Cals. shown on the boat were also made be me. The mount was made by a local blacksmith.

The third picture is an 'empty shell' 50 Cal. and mount made to complete the weaponry on a mates Alvis prototype seen at Tanks Trucks and Firepower last year.

Jon

20170824_160153.jpg

20170429_142107.jpg

20170827_150127.jpg

Edited by FourFox
grammar
  • Thanks 1

I have just taken 3 more photos of bits from my stores to illustrate some of the differences in s-h parts available for special variants.

Picture 1 shows an early (round boss) type top cover with some slight wear rubbing. Many of these have almost no black anodising remaining. Others have 'squad markings' or restricted function colours. Like the price tag from some years ago now. Wish I could find them at that price nowadays.

The pistol grip frame and trigger guard are similar, as are most of the plastic grips.

The top carry handle is current British army type and comes in aluminium frame (which easily breaks) and cast steel frame (which is much stronger). The lower handle is FN type and has different latch mechanism and plastic handle.

Picture 2 shows a 'Norwegian' type bipod. Notice the ice spikes and the lack of angle adjustment. Now I come to think about it, if you widen the angle it would no longer grip a flat bit of ice or packed snow! 

The middle one also has no height adjuster and may have been early British or Israeli issue as the are quite a few of them about.

The bottom one is current army issue and shows much use. There are at least 5 manufacturers judging by the different rivet patterns and the differing locking bar arrangements.

The 3rd picture shows an early wooden stock from the 1960s. It has oval butt plate and screwed on swivel.  The other wooden one is similar to the current plastic shape and has a M240B type butt plate. I suspect these type are made up from bits and have no idea if they were used.

Again the 3rd stock has a M240B type butt plate on a plastic 2 piece moulding. The but plate is almost certainly a later addition. This stock has the earlier aluminium buffer, which has a tendency to break the locating flanges when roughly treated, thus rendering the weapon useless.

The last stock is the current army model with steel buffer housing . Much stronger but heavier.

Almost all of the parts used in these variants are interchangeable with the other types.

I have a prototype folding stock with some bits missing. I hope to complete it in time to display it at the W&P show. It was to be used with a shortened barrel and could be used in close combat, fired from the hip.....at 650 rounds a minute, that's over 3 tins of ammo! Strong bloke...although I think it was to be used by the Israeli army...so it might not have been a bloke after all. It was probable more likely to be used by troops in armoured vehicles were a 1m long weapon gets in the way a lot.

If there is any interest I can post more parts detail. Please comment so that we can all get the details correct.

Jon

sh bits 1.jpg

sh bits 2.jpg

sh bits 3.jpg

Edited by FourFox
noticed price tag
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MB1944 said:

The definitive reply from the MVT seems to be a long time coming.

When my local MVT area asked for clarification back in August, the following was received from Simon Bromley, MVT General Secretary:

"I can categorically confirm that for the purposes of the VCRA, the MVT is classed as a re-enactor group. MVT members are therefore members of the “MVT re-enactor group”. So what does this mean in reality? This is a massive question with massive answers but starting with the basic point that the sale of realistic imitation firearms is banned, the MVT can then rely on exemptions from the ban.

Firstly, the MVT holds events which are historical re-enactments and we hold public liability insurance for such events. Secondly, the MVT acts out and recreates military scenarios, and once again we hold PLI to cover such events. On this basis, that makes us re-enactors, which in turn, allows dealers to sell our members realistic imitation firearms."

Andy

• Thanks 1

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:49 PM, MatchFuzee said:

Just read this on https://www.mvt.org.uk/joining

Airsoft/ Deactivated weapons
The MVT Public Liability Insurance does not cover the purchase or use of deactivated and airsoft weapons.

Different wording here:-

https://www.mvt.org.uk/copy-of-membership-join

Airsoft / Deactivated weapons

Membership of the MVT, and Public Liability Insurance may NOT cover the purchase or use of airsoft / replica weapons.

It is at the discretion of the dealer if they acknowledge MVT membership suitable for the purchase of a replica weapon.

Having read Simon Bromley's clarification in andym's post it looks that the confusion would end if the 2 "Airsoft/ Deactivated weapons PLI notes" are both changed to give the same information as in the clarification.

Also, I have emailed Tim Hawkes the MVT Safety Office in case he hasn't received my PM asking for the definitive answer.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

Finding a cheap deac Gimpy is the holy grail.  It's like trying to find a nice deac SA80.  I am sorry I have not responded to the questions in this string,  I don't use HMVF anymore, although I have an account.  Thanks to @MatchFuzee for dropping me a message to let me know about this discussion.

As the events and safety officer of the MVT I can answer some of your MVT insurance queries.   We have had a radical change in the insurance for our members.  It does mean that all of our members now have £5M public liability insurance when putting on a military display to the public.  All that is required to get this is a valid membership card and some id to prove you are that person.

Like all insurance packages there are a few things that aren't covered, these are as follows

- Stallholding and selling of military items

- Battle re-enactment, in terms of firing blank weapons and running through an arena in a mock battle.  You are covered for all static and walking re-enactments.

- The purchase of weapons, the MVT used to provide this cover for people to buy weapons, but with the growth of BB guns we were experiencing a huge rise in people joining for one year just to buy a weapon.  Since we are a vehicle club and not a gun club we decided that this was not in the interests of the charitable aims of the club.  Now you may say but that is extra income, however it brought with it a lot of issues, people buying BB guns for the wrong reasons, shopkeepers regularly calling us for clarification and unwanted interest with the authorities.

So in short, you cannot use your MVT card to buy weapons, but you can use it to prove you have Public liability insurance when you are re-enacting.  The MVT are not anti-gun however at the end of the day we are a vehicle club. 

I hope this answers your questions.  I am unlikely to look at this string again unless anyone else flags it up to me, so if you have any further queries I would be happy to answer them directly on e-mail - safety@mvt.org.uk.  

Tim Hawkes

Edited by Skyhawkes
  • Thanks 2

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:13 PM, Skyhawkes said:

Hi guys,

Finding a cheap deac Gimpy is the holy grail.  It's like trying to find a nice deac SA80.  I am sorry I have not responded to the questions in this string,  I don't use HMVF anymore, although I have an account.  Thanks to @MatchFuzee for dropping me a message to let me know about this discussion.

As the events and safety officer of the MVT I can answer some of your MVT insurance queries.   We have had a radical change in the insurance for our members.  It does mean that all of our members now have £5M public liability insurance when putting on a military display to the public.  All that is required to get this is a valid membership card and some id to prove you are that person.

Like all insurance packages there are a few things that aren't covered, these are as follows

- Stallholding and selling of military items

- Battle re-enactment, in terms of firing blank weapons and running through an arena in a mock battle.  You are covered for all static and walking re-enactments.

- The purchase of weapons, the MVT used to provide this cover for people to buy weapons, but with the growth of BB guns we were experiencing a huge rise in people joining for one year just to buy a weapon.  Since we are a vehicle club and not a gun club we decided that this was not in the interests of the charitable aims of the club.  Now you may say but that is extra income, however it brought with it a lot of issues, people buying BB guns for the wrong reasons, shopkeepers regularly calling us for clarification and unwanted interest with the authorities.

So in short, you cannot use your MVT card to buy weapons, but you can use it to prove you have Public liability insurance when you are re-enacting.  The MVT are not anti-gun however at the end of the day we are a vehicle club. 

I hope this answers your questions.  I am unlikely to look at this string again unless anyone else flags it up to me, so if you have any further queries I would be happy to answer them directly on e-mail - safety@mvt.org.uk.  

Tim Hawkes

Hi Tim and thanks for your input on this thread. I have now decided to go down the road of getting a Gimpy made to a very high standard like the one for sale on D&B Militaria. Not cheap but you pay for what you get and as said before in this thread, I think eventually you will not be able to obtain deacs so replicas are the way to go so long as they made to a high standard and look  realistic. I can see replicas increasing in price if deacs are no longer available. I was looking at the ones on Xfire & Mil/Muckabouts but want a more realistic looking Gimpy. As they say each to their own. 

Jon and All, new to the forum but an avid collector and your replicas are beautiful.  One of my hanger mates flew his Spit to the Dunkirk premier in LA and had it on display for a week as part of the film's launch here on the states.

For my own part, I recovered a complete and original US WWII M16A2 Antiaircraft Half Track from East Africa in 2006 while serving in the Army. It is has the original working Mason Quad mount and I am interested in 4 good looking M2 HB's to be able to mount in the "Queen" to give her the look she so deserves after all of her years of service  and adventures.

I have her back in working order after 50 years of sitting in the desert and is still in her original paint.  She is number 315 of 413 M16A2 converted for service during the Korean war.  She also saw service in Vietnam and then was shipped of to Africa with the French Foreign Legion.  I recovered and returned her home to the US at my expense in 2006.

20170103_123537.jpg

1 As Found in   Africa Dec 06.JPG

P1010099.JPG

Preservation work to date Jul  07_resized_1-1.JPG

JCOC Visit 1-1.jpg

3 As found passenger side.JPG

Edited by 1943ht

Welcome 1943ht.

My ideal vehicle. I have wanted one of these ever since I saw one being used to push scrap in a yard near Skegness in the 1960s..

How great to see a fantastic restoration of an M16 in its original paintwork.

I have had the privilege of driving Andrew Baker's M16 a number of times around the arena at 'Tanks Trucks and Firepower' and have always wanted the opportunity to make some proper realistic replicas to complete this fantastic vehicle. Sadly it is now being sold/exchanged to a new owner.

However, I have managed to acquire a set of 4 electric solenoids for the M2s and would love to equip a Maxon quad. mount with good replicas, preferably gas fired ones. That would be quite a show stopper!

I have discussed fairly recently with Patrick at Kahki Imports the possibility of exporting replica GPMGs to the USA. Apparently they are very sensitive about certain components of machine guns (replica or not) being imported. Namely the engraved side plate of the receiver. This is more of a problem for me as my replicas are not easily distinguished from the real thing by those officials not familiar with these weapons.

One solution we have discussed is to make the whole thing as a 'metal' construction kit for assembly by customers or agent in the US. We have not yet resolved this matter as it requires some delicate feelers with your authorities. We are all anxious to comply with the relevant laws and do not wish to have valuable work confiscated....or worse!

Over to you!

Jon

I needed an M240B and M2HB for a 5SFG M1081 LVAD War Pig conversion.  I priced demil parts on Gunbroker and eBay and discovered it is cheaper to just buy an airsoft version than to build a dummy from scrap.     I originally had a $1400 Inokatsu FN MAG58 on my 1984 Bombardier Iltis 3RCR Recce, aluminum side plates, etc, riveted construction,  Correct grey parkerized steel color with black anodized aluminum parts.    Had the FN long flash suppressor, wood stock, but milled-style feed cover and Minimi-style gas adjustment instead of the MAG58 3-way gas selector/piston.

I found an A&K/Classic Army new style M240B to be imported by evike.com, https://www.evike.com/products/50809/

Between a new customer coupon and Christmas discount I wound up getting it for $487 shipped.    Pig arrived about 2 weeks later.   Pebbled plastic buttstock, milled feed cover with Mil-1917 rail, top barrel heatshield, Mil-1917 rails bolted to gas tube, orange plastic M16A1 flash suppressor, all metal in black enameled finish instead of parkerized steel grey like the Inokatsu was.   Receiver appears to be made from aluminum plates, feels substantial enough to remove the airsoft guts to run a propane/O2 system.

M240B goes on a custom LMTV Mount/Swing Army/Cradle made by the original mfg, MilSysGroup.com for the Co-Driver/TC/Navigator.

Now I need an M2HB to mount in a Mk93 Mount on the truck bed.     I considered USRGC at first ($1479 base price), but by time I add a real M2HB Barrel Support, Rear Sight Assy, Retracting Side Plate Assy, it becomes rather pricey.  

D&B, I like the Retracting Side Plates I see you had milled.  

5SFG War Pig1.jpg

8ffeef625c27759c400a68a6b5694dbe.jpg

Jon, your kit concept would be inovative and a significant game changer regards the current model for replica weapons here in the states.  I may have the "path" you seek regards making that a viable option!  Let me talk to some of the subject matter experts (SME) I am currently working with on a seperate issue and get back to you.  Can you please PM your phone number and email address?

//Vr//

Mark

I can vouch for the quality of Jons work, the L37A1 he produced was for me to go in my Scimitar. I have since shown it to the London proof master , who said it was too good a copy but cannot be considered a firearm {praise indeed}. I am about to get Jon to build me an L43A1 for my Scorpion.