Royal Enfield ......Rare find

Ron

Today I've stripped the main frame and primed it, then assembled it with the studs and nuts which must be painted and given the whole thing another coat of primer.

The rest of the studs should be black parkeriszed with dull plated nuts. Ron 

Ben 069.jpg

Ben 071.jpg

Well I wouldn't have guessed that Chris! Was it simply to lift the wheels higher?  I'll be comparing the stand on my later 'C'  with Ben's in the near future now and I've got another WD/C centre stand on its way to me.

Come to think of it, my previous 'C'  from well over 20 years ago was always a sod to hike up on its stand. It was missing its stand when I acquired it and I'd found one in a motorcycle breakers shed. My current bike is a lot easier. I've mildly wondered why? Maybe that's it!  Ron

Chris is right.  I just checked mine and it's the same 7" but Ben's is taller.by about 3/4". It must be a leftover from the pre-war bikes and then they decided to alter it for the WD bikes.

I was busy today with the KG3 on all the frame and fork parts. Ron

Ben 075.jpg

Ben 077.jpg

Ron, you work at an incredible pace chap ! Lovely job so far...........

Regarding the Model C stand, my experience of these was never good ! Using my C as daily transport years ago now, I was rather surprised to find that one leg of the stand fractured with use..............it didn't break apart but had a hairline crack and the foot had started to bend at the point of fracture.........I had it welded up, but then found a NOS ex-WD part still in KG No.3 so fitted this...........unbelievably, this too fractured on one foot within a month..................maybe a point worth checking if you use a Model C regularly.........?

Jan it figures that your bike might also have a taller stand? Out of interest if you measure from the pivot centre to the ground by the stand foot on the primary side....Do you get 7 1/2"-7 3/4"? Ron

10 minutes ago, Ron said:

Jan it figures that your bike might also have a taller stand? Out of interest if you measure from the pivot centre to the ground by the stand foot on the primary side....Do you get 7 1/2"-7 3/4"? Ron

Just checked it... Yes, indeed! 

I don’t know whey they changed the stand height but I suspect it may have been when the pannier frame was introduced at the factory. My WDC in the 13000 range (can’t remember off the top of my head) has the high stand and wouldn’t have had the panniers from the factory. I did find a number of NOS low stands with labels some years ago and that’s when I found the different heights. I started to take notice but could never come to a firm conclusion. Possibly because they did crack and were replaced.... and maybe due to the increased weight of laiden panniers!

i also found these early frames cracked around the head stock through the Webb’s. Enfield must have learnt this quickly and later frames were solid in these areas.

Interesting Chris. I think yours is from the same contract as mine C8136 but mine has a higher frame number 15297. I just checked and mine has the solid webb at the head stock. It has the shorter stand but of course it might have been replaced? Ron

On 1/6/2018 at 3:27 PM, Ron said:

Today I've stripped the main frame and primed it, then assembled it with the studs and nuts which must be painted and given the whole thing another coat of primer.

The rest of the studs should be black parkeriszed with dull plated nuts. Ron 

Ben 069.jpg

Ben 071.jpg

Ron..just wondered how you got the bare frame so clean..it looks very" glossy"?

Edited by andy1960

Try this. The centre stand swivels on bushes inside its swivel eyes. The left side bush is combined with a 1" spacer against the frame, there is also a tube spacer between these bushes. Getting the long stud to pass through the stand, engine plates,bushes and spacers is a bit of a fiddle but far worse things happen at sea!

Then there is a series of 1" spacers between the right side engine plate and the engine, gearbox and frame. It's important to fit the lower gearbox stud with it's spacer before the engine plates are connected to the engine as you can't get it in after. Best to leave everything loose until it's all back in place (I can't tighten anything till the nuts come back from the platers)....  I'm very pleased that I took a series of disassembly pictures to remind me how it all went back together.  Ron

PS I have a spare (tall) centre stand for sale PM me if anyone needs it. 

Ben 081.jpg

Ben 082.jpg

How are you going to "parkerise" the studs Ron? I bought a small bottle with a chemical solution at the gunsmith. A slight blast with some fine sand, paint on some solution, wait two minutes, rinse under cold water, dry and spray on some WD40. Ready... Works great...

By the way, I've just researched these center stands. According to the parts books illustrations, all the early contracts used the longer center stand.Only the last two contracts (C/8732 and C/12429) used the short version. The part number didn't change...

Jan

image002.png

Jan I've got some of that cold gun blue which will probably do nicely for the frame studs as they're already fairly black anyway. The fork spindle ends I will oil black myself and the head bolts and gearbox fixings I'll take to my platers for electro blacking.

Today I've fitted the steering stem with new balls and also spent a goodly amount of time trying the de-grease the gearbox case which seems like it's been tarmacked and baked :( Ron 

Ben 083.jpg