bedford MWD side board conflict

Danny P

I have finished the drop down side boards from my bedford MW and have replaced them on the GS body for bolting the lower carriage bolts of the hinges. But when doing so the head of the carriage bolt, as presented in the red circle in the below pictures, hits the front angle iron on the front board. So I am not able to slide the sideboards forward unless I tilt them sideways causing a gap between side board and front board. My parts catalogue is listing the carriage bolts which causes the problem, so it must be the correct bolts. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Danny

5a30228cda48f_sideboard1.thumb.jpg.1cd18c495b2203be6677199d0b07b790.jpg5a3022b647b53_sideboard2.thumb.jpg.a7d3b0663eb6859bff75148c166ab952.jpg

Hi Danny, I think you have made the bracket to long, here are two photo's of my original GS tray from my Fordson wot2-h, as you can see it's bolted behind the angle iron upright! Looking at yours I think hinge is to far in, I've just when out and measured my and it's 4 1/4" from the edge from the tray to the center of the hinge bolt.

Hope this help's mate.

Kind regards

Ian 

Picture 772.jpg

Picture 789.jpg

Edited by Ian Mastin

Hi Ian,

I can't see any differences in your pictures. The head of the carriage bolt in the red circle will hit the side of the angle iron when closing the side boards from dropped down position to closed position. I can't see the head of the bolt in your picture at closed position because it is behind the angle iron, exact at the same position as my bolt would be when sliding the drop down board forward.

The only thing I can imagine is that either the carriage bolt is wrong and should be a flat head bolt like the bolts for the hoopstick guide plate which is at the top of my second picture, but this is not what is listed in the service parts book, or the carriage bolt is quite tightened so that the head is largely in the wood.

Would it be possible to add a picture from the dropped down position of the side board so I can see the head of that bolt. Another useful picture would be from the front of the body so I can see if there is a gap between the inner side of the drop down board and side of the front board.

Thanks,

Danny

I'm not at all familiar with the real thing, so please excuse me if I have the wrong end of the stick, but if your carriage bolt is correct then I would have thought that the only way it would work as intended is if there's a counterbored hole to drop the bolt head below the surface of the wood.

Kevin

8 minutes ago, 11th Armoured said:

I'm not at all familiar with the real thing, so please excuse me if I have the wrong end of the stick, but if your carriage bolt is correct then I would have thought that the only way it would work as intended is if there's a counterbored hole to drop the bolt head below the surface of the wood.

Kevin

I agree with Kevin. If you used a brace and bit, before drilling the hole, you could have rebated the head of the bolt so it was flush with the wood surface. That is how I have done this sort of thing in the past.

• Like 1

Kevin and Richard, I agree. This would be the only way but there is some doubt until you may see it on someones picture. Maybe I can find some pictures on the web showing the longer bolt end at the outside? Pictures are still welcome to confirm. In the below picture you can see the gap how it is with the head of the bolt in between. 

Thank you,

Danny

5a31768717dbe_sideboard.thumb.jpg.3a8cc19d2360e6883b6563efac69708f.jpg

On 12/12/2017 at 6:41 PM, Danny P said:

I have finished the drop down side boards from my bedford MW and have replaced them on the GS body for bolting the lower carriage bolts of the hinges. But when doing so the head of the carriage bolt, as presented in the red circle in the below pictures, hits the front angle iron on the front board. So I am not able to slide the sideboards forward unless I tilt them sideways causing a gap between side board and front board. My parts catalogue is listing the carriage bolts which causes the problem, so it must be the correct bolts. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Danny

5a30228cda48f_sideboard1.thumb.jpg.1cd18c495b2203be6677199d0b07b790.jpg5a3022b647b53_sideboard2.thumb.jpg.a7d3b0663eb6859bff75148c166ab952.jpg

Looking at this bottom pic, you have used the wrong type carriage bolt. The top two appear to be a countersunk bolt that sinks into the wood, the lower is a normal round headed bolt, thus sitting proud and causing the problem.

I am curious who can show me a picture of the original bolt applied. The round head carriage bolt must be correct, together with the washer behind it. If we look at the different bolts listed in the bedford authorised service parts book as behind the red line shown in the below picture we can see the 1/4-20 countersunk head coach bolts (flat head) for the hoopstick guide plates (6 plates and 12 bolts total) and the 1/4-20 round head coach bolts for the hoopstick sockets (as required plus 2). But yes, it is strange that a round head carriage bolt was used whereas countersunk were available too and more useful ?????????????????

I not sure what to do at the moment.

5a32b89354c93_partslist.thumb.jpg.d1d154a5ecaf5c7b3983011e7e081b24.jpg

• 1 month later...