Hello, anyone like Cromwells?

dansimpson

1 RHA, A Battery 'The Chesnut Troop' who were in Munster 1952 on. A Sexton and an International Command Post halftrack. Before 1 RHA replaced Sextons with M44s. Beret badges RHA too. Perhaps I should stick to Light Stone stuff.

Great photos! Note the 74 on the RA arm of service flash and compare with 3 RHA vehicles in Libya (and Egypt) that also bore a 74 to denote ......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlueBelle said:

1 RHA, A Battery 'The Chesnut Troop' who were in Munster 1952 on. A Sexton and an International Command Post halftrack. Before 1 RHA replaced Sextons with M44s. Beret badges RHA too. Perhaps I should stick to Light Stone stuff.

Great photos! Note the 74 on the RA arm of service flash and compare with 3 RHA vehicles in Libya (and Egypt) that also bore a 74 to denote ......

Spot on with location and Troup, I think this would be 1953 or 54, Royal Artillery. Theres a few other photos if people would like to see them, I'll scan them and post later

• Like 3
  • Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Treasure! The Centurions of Ajax 2RTR rumble through the streets of Munster on the occasion of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II on 2 June, 1953.

The Centurions are camouflaged too! Oh no they're not! Oh yes they are! The photo expands to reveal all. 'A' vehicles of 2RTR at the time had a three colour camouflage scheme. The underside of the glacis plate, lower half of the turret, some turret bin front faces and the underside of the gun barrels were painted in Light-Battleship grey (the barrels having a wavy-pattern). The remainder of the vehicle was painted in gloss black and gloss green. None of the vehicles had the same camouflage patterns as they were "designed" by a sergeant in each squadron. 2RTR changed colour schemes to Deep Bronze Green in 1957. 2RTR were then based in Munster Loddenheide, Swinton barracks as part of 20 Armd Bde, along with 1RHA in the same complex at Waterloo Barracks. The flagman in the photo is from 17/21 Lancers based at Munster Gremmendorf, York Barracks. 

Thank you for posting these great photos.

Of note with the 2RTR Centurions on parade is that they were the junior armoured regiment in the brigade, and they sported a white 51 on a red arm of service flash in addition to the mailed fist of 20 Armd Bde to denote their ranking. The other Centurions with their aux. fuel tank drums belong to the senior armoured regiment in the same brigade, the pony soldiers or donkey wallopers of 17/21 Lancers whose tanks and vehicles sported a white 50 on a red arm of service flash. Note the cavalry chaps 'go to war' in their khaki forage caps or stiff hats!

Sorry to hear your Dad passed away, but thanks for sharing.

A nice a mix of different tracked vehicles like the Cromwell, Sexton and Centurion.

I see something hanging af the back of the jeep, would that be a camonet?

Edited by Enigma