Austin K2 - Tea Van - GLE 54 Help Required!

billh35

Now in preservation and being extensively restored, it was believed that this was originally a London Fire Brigade vehicle but the LFB have confirmed that it wasn't? I suspect it may have been a centrally purchased War Ministry or National Fire Service vehicle. Can anyone tell me its' history OR point me in the right direction to find its' story. 

GLE 54.jpg

• 1 month later...

These Tea wagons - canteen vans appear in many guises.  However they all started life as Auxiliary towing vehicle (ATV)  for the fire service in WW2. They were ordered by the Home Office via the Ministry of works purchasing dept; They were all registered in London C.Cc blocks retained for Ministries. See attached. There were several hundred built.

Turn the clock forward to 1949, the Auxiliary Fire Service and Civil Defence was reconstituted in light of the Soviet threat, Initially equipped with hundreds of different vehicles put in to store at the end of WW2 , work was put in hand to design and construct new vehicles for both organisations.. It was subsequently decided that instead of remaining in Cities and towns,  self- sufficient mobile columns should be formed on mobilisation which would move outside predicted target areas. This increased the number of types of supporting vehicles required for the actual fire fighting machines.  One of the requirements was canteen vans to accompany mobile columns to provide hot drinks at stopping points , the prototype converted from an ATV. I believe about 40 were subsequently converted and yours is one of them. See item 4 on the multi image picture. TED

b Lambeth Drill LFB.jpg

AFS expri col.jpg

Edited by ted angus
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ted

The first name on the old tax book is Holland War Agricultural Executive Commission. Boston. Then it changes in 1949 to Lincolnshire Holland AEC (Agricultural Executive Committee), Station Road Kinton. A further change in 1951 sees it registered to Secretary of State, Home Office. Then Belfast Fire Brigade in 1969 and then Fire Authority of Northern Ireland in 1975.

It seems to have a curious career "appearing" to be used to serve tea to farm workers? Or were these just "front" organisations? I am assuming that between 1951 and 1969, it was stored in a central government like so many vehicles held in reserve.

I have had no replies from any of the organisations I contacted about GLE 54 except the LFB. 

Towards the end of the war Austin ATVs were lent to various gov depts,  the AG committees were under min of food control, a number also went to the GPO and a number overseas to help countries get on their feet. The Nederlands had them in use as soon as we liberated,  with their post office and fire services.  I believe yours would have been in its original form with the AG comm  then after return to the Home Office  it was stored for a period until converted to a canteen van late 53 or early 54 . For the AG Comm I would think it was just used as a delivery/collection van. TED

• 1 year later...

I can find for you the year of production, mybe the contract (only years 1939-45 of manufacture) I need know your chassis number.

if sombody have any Austin chassis numbers and vehicles numbers, that will help to my research.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 11:45 AM, billh35 said:

GLE 54 has chassis number 27575. Hope this helps.

She is from contract V.4653 series YP43 (SWB) 2Ton Towing Unit NFS, year of manufacture 1943.

Spare parts list Austin publication No. 2007

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Radek

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Chaps,

GLE 54, 27575,  I would go for 1941, I have found that there are a lot of mistakes made over time, and only hard facts work. the log book is good,

from what I have I can go for 1941.

Another place to look is the rear axle, although this can be a replacement.

there is a date stamped on it,

example 15-6-43

970224200_Diff-15-6-43.thumb.jpg.77324154cc9ecfbddaffde3bbdaac7e0.jpg

a restored van, looking at the picture below and GLE 54, there are vents fitted to the front top passenger side of the rear body, as therese were supllied for CD use their final form could vary.

2124384470_4F5CC48BC27E481CBF6E0AE0E0292B37(1).jpg.173d996d31da5403f5dd01619d8decae.jpg

and Austin publication dates are not a reliable source, even contract dates can be 6 months out.

as long as the DVLA is happy,

As for K2Y 25757 (A1204327 v.3922 ( contract  late 1940)) is a rebuilt unit and would need looking into.

it also implies that Austin's did not make any ambulances in 1942.other issues here.

So late 1941 for this one.

best wishes for all your restorations

regs

rupert

Edited by rupert condick
more information

• 1 year later...

Hi Radek thank you.

fortunately I have the workshop and parts manuals..

SL is the long wheelbase K2. Built new as a first aid saloon tender ( fire appliance)

GLW 473 pics online.

Just needs a reborn and new pistons : )

BRds

Peter

Hi Radek,

yes, chassis/ scuttle from factory to Gregory’s of Uxbridge for the coachwork. Tank, hose reel, pump and control valve from C. Wynn. Was meant to be a Bedford but they got busy building new green trucks after Dunkirk!  
Brgds

Peter