Anyone want to buy a tank or tank spares?

johnwardle

I just received an email from i-bidder.com about an online auction for various tanks, other vehicles and spares, including Centurion, Chieftain, T69, Abbot, CET, Antars, and lots of spares, some of which look NOS. The auction finishes on 6th December and the vehicles etc are located in Heywood Lancashire. I have no connection with this sale except that the Bedford OY X-Ray truck was previously owned by 2 friends of mine.

I was watching some of the Lots at what was supposed to be the final few minutes and when it got to about 2 mins left the clock would jump back 10 mins and this happened several times. Also noticed that there were differing times between the Lots. The parts and tools were still under auction around 3pm as well. I did notice the last bid on the Bedford QL was £10,250. Was particularly interested as this one was a mate to mine, out of the same Danish army auction in 1987.

That's because it's one of those annoying auctions that keeps resetting the clock if a bid is trumped in the last couple of minutes.  If there's a bidding war the item can close ages after the scheduled time, as happened with a couple of the MBTs.   I understand that this behaviour mimics a real auction and gives the vendor a higher return, but it's really tedious if you're tracking a number of lots and the times all get interleaved.

Andy

Edited by andym

4 minutes ago, eddy8men said:

be a buggar for spares. i heard all the old soviet spares are getting bought up and heading to syria and iraq

I hear that Christmas in Syria is a really quiet time! :ph34r:

I wonder where it came from, noting the plaque that had obviously been stripped off a pedestal of some kind.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...