Microfiche reader

armouredfarmer

IMHO - it's an important bit of kit to preserve.

Is it one that reads reals of microsfiche or the square flat sheets, as so often used at the auto spares shops.

The ones that read reals are important if you get old records in museums that are kept like that. 15 years ago I got access to a real of USAAF unit records & combat reports from Maxwell AFB and even then it was a job finding a bit of kit to read the archive.

Edited by LarryH57

Would agree with Larry on this ,as a while ago i was able to purchase a ex Bedford dealers set of fiche's which were of a large size 10 x 8 inch , took them to the local library only to find that the machines there would not read them ,as they would not fit .

Then by a stroke of luck found the correct reader on ebay , which was also an ex dealers machine , must have been specially made for Bedfords as have never come across fiches of that size again , this has given me a fantastic resource of info, as the fiches are of every Bedford made from the 60s onwards.

Out of interest is it a flatbed reader ?, as also have a set of Leyland fiches which are of a size 6x4 inch , but no reader .

As a slight aside on this topic. I know that there were/ are large Microfische reader machines. That as well as obviously reading the fische, could also print off hard copy pages as well.

What a superb way of reproducing the content of any manual/ parts list into book/ booklet form. These could then be sold on perhaps?, to recoup the original outlay of one of these magnificent machines!