Road registering alvis shielder

Ive just recently purchased an alvis shielder and i want to get it on the road. Any one ever filled in a v55/5 form to register it? Since its only 9 ton and has a flat bed it can easily be classified to use for recovery etc. So my question really is whats the best way to fill in the form as there are so many different things  (eg tax class, wheelpan, what class it under, dealer code, stationary sound level, engine speed sound level, co2 etc) any help would be appreciated. Just want to no the best way to fill it in for the best chance of it getting the first form through. Cheers!

22 hours ago, Shielder2002 said:

Ive just recently purchased an alvis shielder and i want to get it on the road. Any one ever filled in a v55/5 form to register it? Since its only 9 ton and has a flat bed it can easily be classified to use for recovery etc. So my question really is whats the best way to fill in the form as there are so many different things  (eg tax class, wheelpan, what class it under, dealer code, stationary sound level, engine speed sound level, co2 etc) any help would be appreciated. Just want to no the best way to fill it in for the best chance of it getting the first form through. Cheers!

This is well worth reading:-

http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/32504-registration-of-stormer-shielder/

If you read all the posts you will see that the stowage boxes have to be removed to make a Shielder below the maximum of 2.55mtrs wide for road use

13 hours ago, Wendelspanswick said:

I've been filling in a V55/5 for my DAF 4 Tonner, as I understand it you have the blue Cast certificate from the MOD you only need to fill in the basics. 

The other bits only need filling in if you have a certificate of conformity from the manufacturer. 

Thanks for the reply, I got the shielder from witham with no paperwork what so ever. But as you said i dont think all the bits would need to be filled in. 

1 hour ago, MatchFuzee said:

This is well worth reading:-

http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/32504-registration-of-stormer-shielder/

If you read all the posts you will see that the stowage boxes have to be removed to make a Shielder below the maximum of 2.55mtrs wide for road use

The stowage boxes are no wider than the rear flat bed tho? 

13 hours ago, Wendelspanswick said:

I've been filling in a V55/5 for my DAF 4 Tonner, as I understand it you have the blue Cast certificate from the MOD you only need to fill in the basics. 

The other bits only need filling in if you have a certificate of conformity from the manufacturer. 

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how i get the blue cast cert? I have no paperwork what so ever with it. 

They stopped giving out 654s for armoured vehicles a while ago. You’ll need to put in a freedom of information request for the date in service with the MoD. Once you have that you can get it verified by the MVT and go from there. 

I have done several CVRTs but none of the wider ones. It’s getting more difficult and the last one was a struggle but I got there eventually. I would say you need to carefully read the construction and use regulations which were applicable at the date it was manufactured and satisfy yourself it meets the requirements. If they reject your application for not complying you need to be able to state why and how it does.

Chris

1 hour ago, sirhc said:

They stopped giving out 654s for armoured vehicles a while ago. You’ll need to put in a freedom of information request for the date in service with the MoD. Once you have that you can get it verified by the MVT and go from there. 

I have done several CVRTs but none of the wider ones. It’s getting more difficult and the last one was a struggle but I got there eventually. I would say you need to carefully read the construction and use regulations which were applicable at the date it was manufactured and satisfy yourself it meets the requirements. If they reject your application for not complying you need to be able to state why and how it does.

Chris

Thanks for the help. Who would i contact to send my freedom of infomation request to? Also how would it help on the side of road registering it? Cheers

29 minutes ago, Shielder2002 said:

Thanks for the help. Who would i contact to send my freedom of infomation request to? Also how would it help on the side of road registering it? Cheers

You need to prove the year of manufacture. The MoD will be able to give you a copy of the service history with this information.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/mod

• Thanks 1

On 21/11/2017 at 7:04 PM, sirhc said:

Chris

Hi ive managed to get the date in service and service history from the mod. Would you no the best way to verify it with the mvt? And do i then just quote that in the v55 registration sheet? Thanks for your help its been very helpful!

Firstly join the MVT, then contact the Verification Officer via the MVT website, she will then contact an appointed MVT member near you who will visit you and inspect your vehicle. The inspector will then send a report to the Verification Officer, who then forwards a report to DVLA on your behalf. This may sound complicated but it is quite straightforward and satisfies DVLA. This is a free service for MVT members.

19 hours ago, johnwardle said:

Firstly join the MVT, then contact the Verification Officer via the MVT website, she will then contact an appointed MVT member near you who will visit you and inspect your vehicle. The inspector will then send a report to the Verification Officer, who then forwards a report to DVLA on your behalf. This may sound complicated but it is quite straightforward and satisfies DVLA. This is a free service for MVT members.

Thanks alot i will get straight on it