Guy Martin - Mk IV Female Tank replica

simon king

12 minutes ago, Baz48 said:

The above statement regarding Guy Martin’s facsimile of a MK IV Tank to me gives the impression SAG or local authority Safety Advisor Group are a statutory body. The HSE website offers this in respect of SAG's. They are non-statutory bodies and so do not have legal powers or responsibilities, and are not empowered to approve or prohibit events from taking place. Event organisers and others involved in the running of an event, retain the principal legal duties for ensuring public safety. The event is passed any impact Mr Martin or his Tank may have had on visitor numbers and there safety for Armistice Day in Lincoln is hypothetical. On a positive for me a running WW-1 Tank albeit manufactured using modern production methods old fashioned ingenuity with great skill. So Guy Martin didn’t appear to know much regarding the subject, isn’t that’s down to the production team prepping him before letting him loose on camera. I enjoyed the program as I suspect many others on here did too at least it didn’t air-brush history

I am not getting involved or taking sides, I saw that this had been released by Lincolnshire Police and merely posted it here for information in view some of the comments in this thread. 

• Like 1

I've only managed to watch part on catchup tv, but was impressed with what I've seen so far, I would say its far more fitting to take it back to where it was used rather than built, to be fair to Guy Martin he does have an engineering background, so not just a TV personality as for Fred, same meat different gravy.

Seeing the modern process of cutting etc is something I've been looking at for a very future project I'd like to do, I'm just looking for plans etc for the project. 

Looking forward to getting home and watching the rest....... 

2 hours ago, Ashcollection said:

Slightly off topic, but relevant to comments in the thread. Excellent program hosted by Guy Martin last night on AI. proves Guy Martin is very different to Fred Dibner, I can't ever remember the episode where Fred drove a race car at 200mph, or wrote basic code. would have loved it if he had though haha

Fred was more of  an instinctive person as shown in demolition legging it as a chimney came down behind him saying do-ya-like-that yes I did

4 hours ago, Ashcollection said:

Slightly off topic, but relevant to comments in the thread. Excellent program hosted by Guy Martin last night on AI. proves Guy Martin is very different to Fred Dibner, I can't ever remember the episode where Fred drove a race car at 200mph, or wrote basic code. would have loved it if he had though haha

What was the programme ? I finally watched the rest of the Tank build, excellent programme and think the drive from the start of the battle beats the original plan hands down. 

• Like 1

Hum, trouble what happens when it all goes wrong? Anyone seen the vidio on Youtube of a London bus push stating a SUV through the traffic lights? Rumour has it that the Hybrids, are having trouble with uncontollable power surges, and as the brakes are all electronic they decide to go into recycle mode and don't work. Noting the driver can do about it. 

Thats what R&D is all about. Pushing the boundrys. Early steam engines blew up, early aircraft crashed alot, our beloved tanks broke down and got lots of holes in them. After a load of money and some dead ends and deaths it all worked in the end. Same will happen for automomous vehicles, just look at unmanned aircraft for instance, only one step away from needing a human controller.

I finally got around to watching the whole programme on catch-up or iplayer or whatever last night. I think it was phenomenal - regardless of some of the comments on here - because a fairly ordinary bloke uses his celebrity, and the power of TV, to recreate something huge from 100 years ago and get it running with a lot of, widely acknowledged, help. His enthusiasm is infectious and, as he didn't know much about the scale and detail of WWI or H licences, as he learned on screen, he will have enthused others about the subject, engineering, welding, tanks in museums and more. The late Fred Dibnah didn't have the monopoly on being 'a bloke with a regional accent who liked British engineering history' and, as he's dead, the next generation needs a new folk hero. Then, finally, driving the tank at Cambrai, in my opinion, was far more poignant than threading it up a high street. The world is changing and we need to embrace that, in order to see the history that interests us is remembered. I can't wait to see the tank itself somewhere next year. JC 

• Like 3
  • Up 2

Spot on Jolly Jeeper, Guy's style of appearing to learn as he goes along his enthusiasm and giving anything a go will hopefully inspire some of the younger generation. we are now so far off topic but, at the end of the day we need more engineers! I will refrain from going political now. we all did that in another post which started about the high prices of vehicles and a possible decline, then on to " the younger generation aren't interested and they lack the skills"  well boys and girls like it or not, its down to us and the likes of TV personality's to get kids interested and keep them interested. The powers that be stopped being interested some years ago and now they are interested again they can't afford it. 

• Like 2

Reference Guy Martin, I like most of his programmes but just wish I could understand half of what he says. Maybe it's because I'm a southerner.

As regarding Elf'n safety mentioned earlier I was always told on H&S courses that one was responsible for one's own safety and that of others around you. The bit about being responsible for your own safety seems to have gone out of the window nowadays, maybe because you can't sue yourself if you trip over while looking at your mobile phone.

I'll shut up now before I really get going!

Gordon

Edited by gordonb
bad capitalisation
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 9:08 AM, Ashcollection said:

well boys and girls like it or not, its down to us and the likes of TV personality's to get kids interested and keep them interested. The powers that be stopped being interested some years ago and now they are interested again they can't afford it. 

(Going even further off topic) Something to bear in mind. If anyone has any links to museums, small or large, or private/public collections then get them to have words with local colleges and universities to find out if any of them offer relevant courses. Lots of them spend a lot of time trying to find suitable places for work experience/internship that is now an important part of any course - it gives the student practical experience.

Or even better, if you or someone you know is an employer think about the apprenticeship scheme. The RAF Museum has had apprentices for quite a number of years now, particularly at the Michael Beetham Conservation Centre (their apprentices have won or come close to winning a number of awards). There were even a couple of apprentice aircraft technicians at Hendon a couple of years ago, at the end of their stint one stayed on as full time member of staff.

The best way to get them interested is to show off what we have to offer, a la Fred, Guy and co; but the best way to really get them hooked is to let them get their hands dirty on the real thing. 

• Like 1

On 28/11/2017 at 9:20 PM, Tony B said:

Fine, but when the test track is the public road?  Anyway off topic so I'll shut up. 

Off topic completely in response to the above at the end of the seventies into the eighties thats precisely what was done not on out of the way roads but high density motorways trunk routes and through the centre of Cities London included on pre agreed routes day and night with vans  rigids and artics UK and abroad at the time I was one of forty eight drivers assigned to the test program - happy days

6 hours ago, RAFMT said:

(Going even further off topic) Something to bear in mind. If anyone has any links to museums, small or large, or private/public collections then get them to have words with local colleges and universities to find out if any of them offer relevant courses. Lots of them spend a lot of time trying to find suitable places for work experience/internship that is now an important part of any course - it gives the student practical experience. 

Banbury and Bicester College is one of only two colleges in the country to offer the landmark apprenticeship, which has been developed by the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs.

http://www.banbury-bicester.ac.uk/news/classic-vehicle-apprenticeship-fill-skills-gap

On 22/11/2017 at 12:59 PM, Ashcollection said:

this thread is getting funny. common sense does prevail 99% of the time, but when you have 100 litigation lawyers watching you like a hawk it tends to put off most officials. Seen it happen. get over it and move on. Again I'll point to a sketch in Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy where they put all the middle management and they like on a space ship and send them into the sun every few years, unfortunately we don't have the technology to do that yet, but the likes of Richard Branson and Elon Musk and a few others are working on that at the moment.  and a question to all those who know how mechanical things work and can do the calculations. Regarding tanks in confined places, If the tank is 30ft long in a 20ft wide street with people between the walls and the tank both sides 2 deep shoulder to shoulder, if the tank spun on the spot due to a gearbox or steering failure how many people would you squish? however unlikely I'm sure that would have been something that was considered. 

I vote Branson to be the first to try out his invention...together with all his remoaning pals... 

He can take that cow Gina Miller with him... 

Edited by flandersflyer

On 11/22/2017 at 11:48 AM, flandersflyer said:

I said guy Martin needed to stop attempting to be Fred...and get his own act

I met Guy Martin at a motorcycle track day organised by friends of mine (He and another professional racer I have forgotten the name of were using out track day to shake-down their BSB bikes). 

He seemed entirely genuine to me. He actually sought me out to talk about Diesel particulate filters, having heard that I worked in that area, and because he really is more interested in truck mechanicing than anything else. He also borrowed someone else's AR80 restoration project for a session. Most people would do one lap and come in, but he seemed ot be enjoying himself on the AR80 (top speed 60mph) quite as much as his 200hp BSB race bike, and stayed out for the whole session. So a lot of my friends can truthfully claim to have lapped Guy Martin at a track day.

I like him. 

• Like 3

Guy Martin, and Chris Barrie share one thing in common. The pure joy they display when playing with mechanical toys of whatever sort. Certain other TV Mechanical Experts, seem so far up themselves that if anyone says 'There is a diffrent way' all the toys go out of the pram! I'll take Guy Martin anytime. 

• Like 2
  • Up 1

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, flandersflyer said:

I vote Branson to be the first to try out his invention...together with all his remoaning pals... 

He can take that cow Gina Miller with him... 

so fire someone who pushes the boundaries of engineering into the sun? don't we need that sort of person and their money? and if you voted out ,you voted for our legal system to therefore be stronger so what did you think would happen haha so Gina Miller etc can have their say as much as they like, it's called democracy and what lots of people have fought and died for.

• Like 1

We are going a long way off topic, steady on. As far as I know it is bad form to shoot the messenger. I have moved from the its rubbish camp, to at least they were successful in achiving an end product that is representative. They made an Item that is creating its own history it now has a pedigree and got people involved not just in engineering but other strands aswell.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, andym said:

It has, at least, got people talking!

Andy

Yes it sure has! and I think I can Now Confirm that we are all agreed that we like and dislike Guy Martin, Like and Dislike the replica Tank, think that machines and systems are safer in the old days before health and safety and are safer today, we need more and less people in engineering and are pro and anti Europe, want to get rid of people who use their money to push technology forward and also want to keep them. I'm Glad that's all now settled, better close this thread off before it gets out of hand!

• Haha 3