Thoughts on the New Forum Layout?

ferretfixer

Well, The new Forum is obviously up & running. I am confident a lot of work went into

This project.

However, I don't know if it's just Me. But I feel now that the Forum is a little too 'Spaced'

Between subjects.  The old layout was MUCH quicker to navigate. Due to the Left margin list of topics. Closely spaced on top of each other.

Whilst being aware that a new medium was going to be implemented. For technical reasons 

Beyond my understanding in the computer World.  I personally find the new layout MUCH less interesting. & far slower to navigate.

As I have such a Busy Life (Don't a LOT of US?)  I now visit the forum VERY infrequently now.

I am not nit picking on this. And am most grateful for the Moderators Hard work here. But this is how I am finding the new website myself.

I feel the Forum has 'Lost' something.......Am I alone in this thinking?

• Like 1

May I suggest that you read:

If I may ask, what do you like about the forum? The way I look at it is this: imagine that someone saw your work and said you clearly had worked hard at it, but they did not like this and that. Would you not want to know at least one thing they liked about what you had done, other than work hard?

trevor

Revert back to the same format as before but using the new site or at the very least the new threads section. Every time I come on to try and make an effort with the "new improved site", not, I loose the will to live just by visiting the activity page. Why has every new post to every  topic got to be displayed, so that you end up with a list just repeating itself. There was nothing wrong with the old system, where it just informed you once, that a topic had been updated and make it all more compact. This new format just replicates sites like facebook and personally I don't use those either.

Jon

Johan use the new posts tab, top left as long as you are logged in,

image.png.aec92fb5b45de8b9b232b4a78d72e0f7.png

. My preference is to select "condensed" for the topics display top right of the list,

image.png.ee8df0b35a89f71c9e876395dad2adbc.png

To get to the last unread post, a handy feature that was not available on the old format, click on the circle (or star if you have already commented on that topic).

image.png.183ab9057d8b84672cae4f6126ccc5eb.png

and there you are.

Can I just say that like most people I hate change, especially for the sake of change, but in this case it appears to have been highly necessary to keep the HMVF as a going concern. Its taken me a while to find my way round the new format but its beginning to become second nature now so I'm starting to look forward again to my morning dose of latest posts.

I know how much work goes in to setting up a new system and how much effort is not apparent to the end user so congratulations on getting it all up and running to Joris and all.

PT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still working my way around it but seems ok to me.    I am pretty sure its just a matter of time and it will bed in ok, change is always stressful for many.   I dont visit nearly as frequently now though like another comment above.  

23 hours ago, GeePig said:

May I suggest that you read:

If I may ask, what do you like about the forum? The way I look at it is this: imagine that someone saw your work and said you clearly had worked hard at it, but they did not like this and that. Would you not want to know at least one thing they liked about what you had done, other than work hard?

trevor

Hello Trevor. Yes I can understand your frustration over some comments. However, I DID point out that I acknowledged the new website had taken a LOT of time And Hard Work to implement  I also mentioned that fact that it was for my taste, too 'spaced'.

This it would seem has had a similar effect on some other members also.

The correct word's would be I guess. Excessive scrolling to get through the myriad of 'content' sections!

As another member has pointed out. The condensed Column Format was immensely easier to navigate. As the topics were grouped MUCH closer together. & it was MASSIVELY easier/ FASTER to get through to read what you wanted.

Rather than waste time going through a much larger layout. It is obvious others are finding this irksome/ difficult also. By their comments.

Please don't feel offended by my thoughts on the forum layout. It was not intended to point the finger so to speak. But rather my own thoughts & experience of the new layout. As stated by another, 'We are all Resistant to change'. But I have to say in my own case, I have found the change 'Difficult' to live with at present.

I do not begin to pretend to understand how & what went into the production & implementation of the new 'Layout/Function' of the new Forum. but I have to say.           I am nowhere near as interested in it now. Than I used to be

Hence my statement, that I do not visit here. Nowhere near as much as I USED to on a daily basis. Usually once a week now.......No offence intended. just MY personal View of it all.     Mike.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2017 at 12:19 AM, ferretfixer said:

However, I don't know if it's just Me. But I feel now that the Forum is a little too 'Spaced'

Between subjects.  The old layout was MUCH quicker to navigate. Due to the Left margin list of topics. Closely spaced on top of each other.

Beyond my understanding in the computer World.  I personally find the new layout MUCH less interesting. & far slower to navigate.

As I have such a Busy Life (Don't a LOT of US?)  I now visit the forum VERY infrequently now.

I feel the Forum has 'Lost' something.......Am I alone in this thinking?

I am in agreement with the OP's observations about the new layout.  It has taken me a while to say so simply because the new look has sufficiently reduced density that I've not spent the time to do much more than glance at it.

I think a lot of it for me is just that the fonts seem much larger bu default with more space between text, as a result less text fits on the screen.  Reducing the scale of the view helps somewhat, but then I get large margins that hold no content.

I will say the timeline markers ("last hour", "Today", "last week", etc.) are pretty handy in going back to see what I've missed.

• Like 1

There you go Admin, It's not just Me that feels like this then.

Thank Goodness my observations / experience on the new Forum. Are not just Me!

Other's too, have similar feelings on the new layout.

It would seem that the MUCH larger spacing between subjects. Is taking up far too much space. & making scrolling etc through. To find a topic you are interested in.

Much longer to navigate.  I like the close way subjects were stacked on the old layout.

It was HUGELY Easier to simply see, AT A GLANCE. EVERYTHING listed, & a LOT easier to pick out what content you wanted to read.

Would it be possible to reduce the 'spacing' & condense the subject coulomb. SIMILARLY to the old Format?

Just my thoughts, I'm not an IT expert at all! I find I am not alone in not being a child of the computer age!....;) 

Your hard work HAS been acknowledged, And very well done. But, I feel the layout needs 'tweaking' somewhat?

Regards: Mike.

I am also struggling with the new format , it is partly due to my skill and computer but it now takes a long time to access everything. I guess we all follow other forums and I would now consider this hard work to look through compared to many others.

Hopefully this is taken as constructive criticism and not moaning !  I visit less now its just a struggle , Admin , are you able to compare foot traffic before and after the upgrade, is there any noticeable trends ?

18 hours ago, secondshooter said:

I am also struggling with the new format , it is partly due to my skill and computer but it now takes a long time to access everything. I guess we all follow other forums and I would now consider this hard work to look through compared to many others.

Hopefully this is taken as constructive criticism and not moaning !  I visit less now its just a struggle , Admin , are you able to compare foot traffic before and after the upgrade, is there any noticeable trends ?

I agree  its alot harder to find and follow things compared to the previous layout which I found far easier to navigate . I don't frequent the site as often now  as it's more difficult to navigate to find and scroll through topics .

Edited by Davey089

I really do not see how it is harder - there is the same structure, and the text is a bit bigger and easier to read. In fact it is easier to scroll through topics because once you have finished reading the new posts in one thread, there is a convenient link under the last post that will take you to the next thread with unread posts.

trevor

• Thanks 1

The Forum has evolved a few times over the years and we've had the same complaints everytime. Don't forget it's a free service, the few donations we do receive is a drop in the ocean compared to the true running cost of the forum.

Given time members will get use to the new layout, as they have done in the past.

• Like 3

On 01/11/2017 at 8:57 AM, johann morris said:

Revert back to the same format as before but using the new site or at the very least the new threads section. Every time I come on to try and make an effort with the "new improved site", not, I loose the will to live just by visiting the activity page. Why has every new post to every  topic got to be displayed, so that you end up with a list just repeating itself. There was nothing wrong with the old system, where it just informed you once, that a topic had been updated and make it all more compact. This new format just replicates sites like facebook and personally I don't use those either.

Jon

No - I don't consider it represents Facebook at all , I don't understand Facebook  - just had a peruse of two resto. type vehicle sites + the odd post - to correct idiots  - to further the interests of correct vehicle history..

Very shallow content on Facebook , one liners by people on their phone/camera , not responsible for veracity of content and on historical matters they seem to claim they are a expert (so bad - I consider trolling) - never seems to be corrected , because in any case it seems to be culled from the screen as messages ongoing are heaped on top of messages - then soon gone - nil. archive it seems.  Some people you can ID from their Forums handle(s)  - the worst of this expert trolling is by people who seem to have no history of Forum etiquette. I get the distinct impression these people have given up there PC  (to aid funding of phone contract)  and have decided to get by to maintain their modernity - so Forums have no place for them.   And the totally BARMPOT thing about Facebook is that it you do contribute - don't forget NOT to use the  'Enter' key  before your scribed completion  !

Edited by ruxy
  • Like 2

No one is asking you to use Facebook, and this forum is not even close in structure to Facebook, or purpose. Spending time hating other people and their efforts is non-productive, as is trying to prove the past was better when you and I both helped to make the world what it is today.

Just do not give up on the people around you, we can all help. Today I figured out how to put a plain link in a post rather than getting a small summary of the link - and kicked myself for not noticing before the option that appears after I pasted the link to choose which format... another duh moment.

trevor

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GeePig said:

No one is asking you to use Facebook, and this forum is not even close in structure to Facebook, or purpose. Spending time hating other people and their efforts is non-productive, as is trying to prove the past was better when you and I both helped to make the world what it is today.

Just do not give up on the people around you, we can all help. Today I figured out how to put a plain link in a post rather than getting a small summary of the link - and kicked myself for not noticing before the option that appears after I pasted the link to choose which format... another duh moment.

trevor

Whilst I was probably the first to benefit from Trevor's 'duh moment' as he shared his findings on my Libya thread! Every day is a new learning opportunity, some of which come to fruition by the good grace of others. Thank you Trevor.

• Like 1

I have avoided coming on the forum for just over a month, I've been waiting to see how things would settle down. Catching up on the posts I must comment on the patience exercised by Joris & the speed with which he has responded to suggestions & observations. I was afraid at first that the new set-up may have been set in stone & completely non-adjustable.

In my month of absence, I have found that despite the new set-up, there is no other forum that encompasses such a wide range of interests for MV enthusiasts & I would hate to see it fail. I am very grateful for the space allowed for me in Clive's Corner as a reference place for previously published articles & articles that are no longer considered acceptable for publication.

The latter is because even for club magazines they are considered to be too detailed & don't have enough colour photos to sustain the interest of the average reader. It is sad that technical articles like these can have no printed platform, so I am grateful for them being hosted here, I hope to the benefit of those who want to read them.

Whilst acknowledging the hard work put in by Joris & his continuing vigilance, may I make just a few suggestions for improvements that are not intended as criticisms?

Like many, I miss “Today's Posts” I know there is “Recently Updated Topics”. That tells you the thread title & when it started & by whom, but not what is new. To find that out you click on it & that takes you to the very first post which may have many pages, so you have to click on the last page. But that is not the last post, for that you may have to scroll down sometimes 30 posts to get to the most recent post.

The alternative is to click on the right side to “All Activity” & I appreciate this tab is easier than before when you had to go to the left side “Activity” tab then choose “All Activity”.

This is good because you then get who has responded with the latest post displayed at the top. But there are only two lines of the post displayed, to get the whole post you have to open the complete thread.

Please remember that not all of us have broadband. I have to rely on a weak phone link that has limitations of availability, speed & data allowance. If the previous posts in the thread are picture-heavy it can take a while to find out whether the latest post has useful content or not.

So, could the full content of the last post be displayed in “All Activity” please?

I appreciate that this is “All Activity” but could it be changed to “All Posting Activity”? At present we have to see who has started watching a particular thread or changed their profile, which I think many of us would regard as superfluous information.

On the subject of superfluous information, “Today's Birthdays” are of no interest to me, not even when it is my birthday!

Also “Popular Contributors” doesn't necessarily mean they are popular but perhaps prolific & it perpetuates the belief that a high level of posts is something to aspire to & the more posts you make the more superior you are in some way.  Yes, I know I am a high poster, so it means nothing & as yet not achieved “Popular” status.

But I realise I can ignore these “features” but they just contribute to front page clutter. If they are really considered desirable bury then in a tab or could we turn them off in the user's control panel?

The only other thing is the fish-eye distortion of our avatars. Can there be an option for a non-fish-eye distorted view? I know it works well for some, but my avatar looks rather un-aerodynamic.

Thank you for quickly unlocking the threads in Clive's Corner & hosting the articles that can't be read elsewhere!

PS Something I can't master is having previewed a post then spotting an error I can't correct it. If I go back I loose the whole text, luckily   I put this on my clip-board & redid it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PS Apologies, some of what I had said has been fixed or maybe I hadn't grasped it properly before I took my sabbatical. I have found the way to read in full the last post in full in a particular thread. Out of interest is that a fix or had I not grasped it at first?

8 hours ago, teletech said:

I'd  rather we went to the scientific/ANSI standard of YYYY/MM/DD .

In Britain the date has always been written as DD/MM/YYYY and as this is a British based forum I have to agree with Clive that this is how dates should be shown.Perhaps you could organise this please Joris when you have time. Thanks in anticipation.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I'm going to add the requested changes to the list and see which I can implement and which are not possible.

One thing I don't like is that when you post a link it turns into a preview, am I the only one who hates that?

30 minutes ago, Joris said:

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I'm going to add the requested changes to the list and see which I can implement and which are not possible.

One thing I don't like is that when you post a link it turns into a preview, am I the only one who hates that?

Depends on what you want out of a link, I suppose. However, there is a message below it when you are pasting it in that asks if you want the preview or a plain link. I think the plain type would be better as the default.

trevor

• Like 2

I would just like to say a very big Thank You to Joris and anyone else involved in running the forum for us all.

I know I like the old style but I am also not as tech savvy and am fairly sure that with constructive comments it will become a better tool for us all as it develops and it will just take time .

As far as day month year goes, I hope none of you grow up in the UK and move to north america because there is no standard over here and it drives me potty to the point I now use 08 NOV 17 as my standard to ensure I am understood. 

These forums take a massive amount of time to run and once again Thank You Joris

Edited by robin craig
spellink
  • Like 2