German gun quadrant?

Hi Trev, The inscription sais 1 nonienteil = 1/16 dgr. So 1 stripe on the small scale is 1/16 degrees. I have found a similar one that was from 1 881 gun. They were placed on the breech area of the gun. Only difference with the other ones i found is that they are from  0 to 45 degrees, mine goes from 90 to 45 degrees. Is it possible that mine is from a mortar which is used a higher angle?  See also here

http://www.lovettartillery.com/Foot Artillery Gunner's Quadrant.html

On 11/1/2017 at 5:31 PM, Citroman said:

Hi Trev, The inscription sais 1 nonienteil = 1/16 dgr. So 1 stripe on the small scale is 1/16 degrees. I have found a similar one that was from 1 881 gun. They were placed on the breech area of the gun. Only difference with the other ones i found is that they are from  0 to 45 degrees, mine goes from 90 to 45 degrees. Is it possible that mine is from a mortar which is used a higher angle?  See also here

http://www.lovettartillery.com/Foot Artillery Gunner's Quadrant.html

Ah, I see, the link had a nice little summary as well. I have never seen such weapons fired, and most texts seem to deal with what happens to the projectile after it exits the barrel rather than what happens on the other end of the barrel...

Trevor

It looks like one of two types used with the 9cm Kanone 1873.  The 9cm K 73 was used by both the German Field Artillery and the Foot Artillery branches so that may account for the two different types of quadrant for the same gun.  

Any interest in selling or trading? 

R/

Ralph Lovett