Post 1997 Licence

Hi Could anyone clear something up for me.

Post 1997 standard car Licence

1954 Daimler Ferret Mk1 which weighs around 3.7ton

As it stands is it legal to drive the Ferret on this licence?

Also any other potential issues/pitfalls?

Many Thanks.

Short answer is yes.  There is a licence exemption for vehicles built before 1960.  Legal to drive at any weight so long as it is not carrying a load.  Bit difficult to carry a load on a Ferret so you should be okay.

Ed

Apologies for this being the NI site but it's the first one that comes up.  Look at the bullet points.  https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/driving-larger-goods-vehicles-lgv-car-driving-licence

If you don't feel like reading it all:

• goods vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer

We have previously checked and it does cover ballast tractors etc...  So yes you are legal to drive the Ferret on a post 97 licence.  If you want complete confirmation you can write to the DVSA and get them to clarify in writing.

HTH

Ed

I spoke to DVSA about this yesterday chaps as Tyler asked this question on my behalf, you are correct if you passed your test post 1997 they do not consider the Ferret a goods vehicle therefore it cannot be driven under the pre 1960 ruling on a category B licence

Edited by Lewis Garner