Flying_flea

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes quite right Lex and I borrowed one and got it cast in gunmetal and fabricated which was on my Flea for some years before I found an original. We all want original, but as you say, not always possible immediately. Ron

Lightweights 461.jpg

I was very close to getting an original kickstart last week from an owner with 4 complete and 1 incomplete for parts but the man sold the bike as a restoration project which was fair enough but he has helped me with a couple other bits. That’s why I posted on here asking if anyone would possibly have an original.

Are magic metals kickstarts good? It’s not to be cheeky it’s just I’ve never bought from there before.

cheers Sam 

Yes Terry's are cast in bronze with a steel 'L' bar, whereas the originals were all steel. But once painted you can hardly tell the difference.  Terry makes a lot of Flea and ML replica parts (Exhausts, Blackout masks for instance) so might be worth a phone call for a chat  (if you're in UK) rather than email on 01189 731631. Mention my name if you want.  Ron Pier

Edited by Ron

It is possible to make one yourself, a lot of work, but did it years ago, when nothing was available, the cast in numbers are not there offcourse, but using a postwar kickstarter for the splined bit will be neccesery, see pictures. The bit where the stop sits in the casting is the hardest, when not having a milling machine, did it by oldfashioned filing! the rest is just filling it with weld, and grinding, helps when you have an original handy!

Lex

050120101119.jpg

060120101126.jpg

060120101128.jpg

060120101132.jpg

Edited by welbike

Here's how I found mine, in the US, with a story that an 8th airforce veteran stole it from an airfield in the UK after his last mission, and took it on his bomber home to the US, where he used it briefly after the war, painted red, then it sat in his damp cellar for a long time, the rims were rusted through by the time I got it!

Flying_Flea_1.jpg

And here finished, in one of the most used pictures on the web! (no that's not me holding it!)

DSCN11241.JPG

Have many more detail pictures, and information.

That’s an interesting story about your flea and I’m not sure I’d be able to craft a kickstart yet but I think for now I will buy a repro until I can get hold of an original but thank you anyway. Also I got my flea back today from sprayers I’ll put a picture on so far... and thank you Ron for magic metals number I’ll give them a call later.

would there be any manuals out there that tell you how to assemble and disassemble the bike as this is my first restoration 😬

cheers sam

19209FDD-59F3-40F0-AAEE-9B1502FF5892.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have reprint workshop manual and parts list for the wartime Flea, but can't remember where they came from. Lex might have literature to sell or look at Rob Van Meel's books. http://www.robvanmeel.nl/?q=search/node/Royal Enfield WD/RE

I would think that between me and Lex, we can provide most of the information and /or pictures that might help. It looks like you have an awful lot of the parts that are often missing from these restorations from what I can see from your pictures. I'm sure I can see a correct Miller lamp switch. Have you got the correct/original throttle twist grip and Airmaze filter parts?   BTW. no dipswitch or speedo parts required.  Ron 

Lightweights 402.jpg

The correct filter is the 'Air maze'  Yours is a  'Coopers'  which is near identical . It's possible to lose the embossed lettering by gently  sanding  with an angle grinder followed by heavy coats of primer, W&D and top coat. Then with one of Arnaud's repro ally  discs and a rivet. Bob's your Uncle. Ron

Lightweights 462.jpg

Edited by Ron

Yes, you have a good start Sam, I don't have the throttle parts anymore, long ago sold out, maybe the part that clamps onto the round tube, but have to look.

High resolution scans of the parts book I can send by "We Transfer" don't know if I have the maintenance manual scanned, but do have some very nice copies of the riders handbook left, can take to the coming Malvern miltary jumble.

See pictures., cheers, Lex

HPIM0102.JPG

HPIM0104.JPG

Edited by welbike
spelling

Also have a limited supply of the special cable adjusters, and the little spring clips for the centre stand, often missing, all NOS, but a bit shop soiled.

20 pounds for the 3 bits, postage extra.

Cheers,

Lex

PS, I am not sure if the bottom cable adjuster is Flea at all?? mine has a much smaller one fitten on the clutch arm.

IMG_4550.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

Edited by welbike
updated info

Here is the link for the free downloadable high resolution parts list of the WD/RE 1943 parts list.

This is not for re-sale, just for your own use! Cheers, Lex

ps, link will be valid for a week.

https://we.tl/5t84xIINZe

or:

Download link
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a068e68cafc8c4f7d7dea2b69ce9d08120171105123618/766fc7cb8098a6c12b46eac24b9218d920171105123618/61a547

Edited by welbike

I will try that it sounds like a good idea! Thank you Ron

Hi Davey089 , i would be intrested in purchasing your throttle stop please, and I’ll see if Stuart bray has that part in stock.

And thank you lex for sending me them links they will be for my own use not to worry, also yes I’d be intrested in buying the cable adjusters spring clips please.

many thanks Sam 

1 hour ago, Flying_flea said:

I will try that it sounds like a good idea! Thank you Ron

Hi Davey089 , i would be intrested in purchasing your throttle stop please, and I’ll see if Stuart bray has that part in stock.

And thank you lex for sending me them links they will be for my own use not to worry, also yes I’d be intrested in buying the cable adjusters spring clips please.

many thanks Sam