New Format

ruston

I am a development engineer and artist, so I must love change. Rust is also change, and we cannot stop it, so we work on keeping it at bay, with maybe a touch up here and there, but one day we know we are going to be faced with a lot of work. Forums are much like our vehicles in that respect.

• Confused 1

On 15/10/2017 at 9:00 PM, david1212 said:

The best I can see is this:

Click the big HMVF main logo graphic top left

At the top right of the white background below the search box, you should see Unread Content

Click this and the topics with content you have not read will be listed.

The default list order is newest first but you can change that to oldest first. The right hand item of the boxes just above the first item is Sorting. Change this to oldest first. Initially for me nothing happened until I pressed key F5 (top row of keyboard) to reload / refresh the page.

At the bottom of the list is Load More Activity

Eventually you will have the last updated topic at the bottom of the page.

The other boxes in the row above the first listed topic have selection / filtering options I have not investigated.

For each topic you can go to the first entry you have not read by clicking the small green dot between the larger coloured circle containing either a letter ( default) or the profile image if the thread starter has uploaded one to their profile and the title of the topic.

This function is not obvious at all. I discovered it by accident when randomly the mouse pointer was hovering over the dot.

This is just what I have found. Maybe someone else will detail other options that will help both of us.

why does everybody who is computer literate presume everybody else is computer literate i have read this load of gobbledegook four times and am none the wiser and whats a default i thought a default was some kind of penalty

2 hours ago, Topdog said:

I find it very confusing and not easy to read.  I am using it less and unless it becomes easier to use I will be stopping - sorry guys, its just not friendly

So what exactly is confusing? What parts are difficult to read? The team is working hard to make the forum work in its new format, and they seem to respond well to specific comments.

• Sad 1

Just now, oats and barley said:

why does everybody who is computer literate presume everybody else is computer literate i have read this load of gobbledegook four times and am none the wiser and whats a default i thought a default was some kind of penalty

A 'default' is the standard setting for something. So... when it says 'the default list order' it means that this is the standard setting for  how the posts are listed: it shows the newer posts first.

It is unfortunate that words often have more than one meaning.

• Sad 1

I think the problem where there is complaint (and I appreciate the work input by admin. and therefore don't like to grump) - is that previously you could quickly scroll to the bottom of the screen and at a quick glance see the bulk of the posting activety of the day .  Easier to follow threads you had been following and also at a glance see new threads that you may be interested in , then continue to follow.  Basically nobody likes extra work , for those with little IT ability it now seems a bit of a trawl.

HMVF  has lots of  'boards'  , same format with fewer and it would be easier - but what do I know  ?

Edited by ruxy
amd.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, GeePig said:

A 'default' is the standard setting for something. So... when it says 'the default list order' it means that this is the standard setting for  how the posts are listed: it shows the newer posts first.

It is unfortunate that words often have more than one meaning.

14 minutes ago, GeePig said:

So what exactly is confusing? What parts are difficult to read? The team is working hard to make the forum work in its new format, and they seem to respond well to specific comments.

as i said some of us old folk 68years are not that computer literate a lot of words have been hijacked and now have different meanings all my school years i was taught in imperial measurement they threw me out and changed to metric measurement but i know how many pennies are in a pound and dont cross my sevens and the middle is the center

To try to make finding the new posts easier, I have made a few screenshots and added some notes.

1. Under the big HMVF logo you should see 'New Posts'. Click on it.

hmvf1.png.41344b3f4b12647bc70f4bfa5b2f76cd.png

2. This should take you to a page like that shown below. I do not know why it is called 'Unread Content' when the button we clicked was 'New Posts'.

We should be able to see all the new posts. But, if the summaries of the posts are huge like shown below, then we can make smaller (see step 3).

hmvf2.thumb.png.795a1ec8621b66fa94f2dda51603aaf7.png

3. To save having to scroll and scroll to see all the new posts, look over towards the right-hand side of the screen, just above our list of 'new posts'. There you should find two text buttons: 'Condensed' and 'Expanded'. Click on 'Condensed'.

hmvf3.png.a5a16feb68210588895e50ba77d1a410.png

4. With any luck, you should now have the new posts listed like shown below. OK, it is never going to look as minimalist as the old forum, but then I am never going to look 20 again.

hmvf4.png.497bc8a478e2e3eb3c1d62fad8df7a64.png

5. Finally, on the picture above I have added another thing for you to click: clicking on that green dot should take you to the first unread post (and not the 'most recent post' as I wrote on the picture).

Now, if that still does not make sense, then please ask where you are struggling.

trevor

• Thanks 1
  • Up 1

Another change I just came across is that if you post a new topic or reply and then immediately correct a typo or gramma it shows as being edited immediately, instead of there being a delay before the 'edited tag appears at the bottom of the post.

Annoying as there used to be a period of 'grace' built in.

Bernard 

6 hours ago, GeePig said:

To try to make finding the new posts easier, I have made a few screenshots and added some notes.

1. Under the big HMVF logo you should see 'New Posts'. Click on it.

hmvf1.png.41344b3f4b12647bc70f4bfa5b2f76cd.png

Unless this is a future development , I'm not seeing it and I've tried in both firefox and explorer browsers . 

The only way I'm seeing new posts is by using the ' activity ' link  which for me isn't a great way to keep up with whats new on here but I appreciate that for some people it might be okay.

Edit - okay that'll teach me to log in next time , it's there when I log in but I remember there used to be something called ' todays posts'  or similar on the old version of the site which was handy and didn't require you to log in to see the last 24 hours posts

Edited by rdx10

here we go again whats a screenshot is that what models do for a portfolio i googled it and it said something about data on the screen and i have also never heard of the condense button or expanded. once again people of a slightly younger era assume everybody is computer literate bit like i cannot walk around talking to a phone in my ear

• Sad 1

I actually quite like the new format, the unread content page lets me see some of the content in a post so I can decide if I am interested enough to click on it or not.

At the end of the day Joris spent many hours updating the software, he didn't do it for fun. The old software was obsolete and no longer supported by the developer. If we had a major issue with it the forum might have been gone for good. I'm sure everyone will get used to this format before too long... or maybe we should just go back to type writers?

3 minutes ago, sirhc said:

I actually quite like the new format, the unread content page lets me see some of the content in a post so I can decide if I am interested enough to click on it or not.

At the end of the day Joris spent many hours updating the software, he didn't do it for fun. The old software was obsolete and no longer supported by the developer. If we had a major issue with it the forum might have been gone for good. I'm sure everyone will get used to this format before too long... or maybe we should just go back to type writers?

I don't think anyone is suggesting the changes were done for fun . Time moves on and things change, sometimes you have to rewrite a website and unfortunately it seems to be one of those things thats increasing in regularity.  That said I can't see anything wrong with constructive comment and surely it's much better that people say something rather than just drift away. 

As for typewriters, it depends on your perspective ....

12 hours ago, oats and barley said:

here we go again whats a screenshot is that what models do for a portfolio i googled it and it said something about data on the screen and i have also never heard of the condense button or expanded. once again people of a slightly younger era assume everybody is computer literate bit like i cannot walk around talking to a phone in my ear

You do realize that we are trying very hard to help you? 

13 hours ago, oats and barley said:

Googling is good, and when you do it is worth looking at the results to see if it suggests a Wikipedia page. They may be full of waffle, but the pictures can be very informative. A screenshot is what it says on the packet, a 'shot' or 'photograph' of the screen.

For the 'condensed' and 'expanded' buttons they were actually shown on this screenshot:

hmvf3.png.0906d69a9807f9b5a0fe9916ac927e9c.png

Anyway, if you have figured out how to post here, you are doing OK.

trevor

Now that things are settling down and where we are all getting used to the changes - and thank you for your work, Joris, I wonder if you from your lofty perch at "Mission Control" if you are able to comment on the amount of useage of the new site when compared with the old site before it disappeared? I know that one or two folks initially found it difficult (me included) to open it and I wonder if there are still others? I eventualy only managed to open it by re-booting my Router - I passed that tip on to a friend who was also having difficulty and that tip to him also worked for him. A bit illogical, I thought - but that is what happened.

• Like 1

I've thrown the towel in now, just cant get on with the new format which is a shame as I had a few restoration threads on the go which have progressed nicely lately and I would of liked to share buts that's not to be anymore on this site.

I've persevered but find it a pain in the proverbials - shame really as the previous model's layout made it simple to use - I know we are told things have to change be up-dated - that doesn't necessarily mean for the better as often to many tweaks are made to what was an easy to use format - those that like it will stay those that don't will go elsewhere 

19 hours ago, Ian L said:

I've thrown the towel in now, just cant get on with the new format which is a shame as I had a few restoration threads on the go which have progressed nicely lately and I would of liked to share buts that's not to be anymore on this site.

That's a real shame. The forum does just about everything the old one did and in an almost identical way. All the functions are still there. What exactly about the new forum (other than it's just 'different') are you struggling with?

• Up 1

23 hours ago, sirhc said:

Works best in full screen at 1080p.

Your tutorial should help people but how do you tell those that have given up using the forum that there is now help available?

Now that I'm happier with the forum I offered to help one user but I think that it is too late  because the reply that I received was "I think I'm finished with HMVF".

Has anyone any ideas how to encourage people to re-engage with the forum?