New post button

lowfat

Sadly I'm having to agree with all the above . I've not been on here since the beginning but it was in the fairly early days that I joined . I know we've been through all this before but I'm really struggling with this new site and , quite frankly , I'm not sure I possess the patience these days to carry on visiting and posting .

39 minutes ago, snowtracdave said:

Sadly I'm having to agree with all the above . I've not been on here since the beginning but it was in the fairly early days that I joined . I know we've been through all this before but I'm really struggling with this new site and , quite frankly , I'm not sure I possess the patience these days to carry on visiting and posting .

Dave,

I am afraid I am of the same thinking, this is hard work to use and frustrating. I go over to MLU forum which is very similar to the recent departed version of HMVF and it is so easy. I find this new version a backward step, far too involved and complex. Not very easy to use on the iPhone anymore either.

Sorry but this is how I see it.

Richard

Of course we will get used to it in time, not very intuitive.  

It's a bit like one of those phones that has five hundred features you never use, or that satellite TV with a hundred channels you don't watch.

Still, someone put a pile of work into this, so thanks for that.

( but we really do need a NEW POSTS button )

Hello folks,

HMVF and its community has been good to me, thank you for all your support but I'm really struggling with the new forum format. Its difficult to look up archive threads (very useful) and to keep a quick eye on the new posts - OK the latter is Unread Content, but it comes with an annoying Notifications tab in Firefox that's proving hard to turn off.

Why has good ol' HMVF gone the way of all modern 'progress'? Could it not have been ported over to a new server in the familiar format? I know its very easy to criticise those who do the hard work, and this is in no way personal, but if we don't pipe up the Mods won't know. Methinks I'm going to use this really useful forum a lot less, and most likely walk away entirely.

cheers, Mad Scientist

25 minutes ago, ARMYPHOTOS said:

I am sorry but I agree with others. This new foremat is not very user friendly. What was wrong with the old friendly foremat?

The old forum was totally outdated, it needed a new (and pricey) license, we were forced to move it to a new server where it didn't work which would mean weeks of downtime and development costs. On top of that, we had to pay way more money (monthly!).

I'm really disappointed that after all the work we put on to keep the forum running over the years and all the trouble we had moving to this new place to get this feedback. 

• Like 1

Joris.

It is nice to see the Forum up and running. Thank you for explaining the reasons needed for the change as being one outside of your control and needing to be accommodated by providers. 

Any change in computer format takes time to get used to, I am not the quickest to get used to changes but manage over time then wonder why we persisted with the older version!

Having the new posts button is good and speeds up my morning search.

Doug

2 hours ago, Joris said:

The old forum was totally outdated, it needed a new (and pricey) license, we were forced to move it to a new server where it didn't work which would mean weeks of downtime and development costs. On top of that, we had to pay way more money (monthly!).

I'm really disappointed that after all the work we put on to keep the forum running over the years and all the trouble we had moving to this new place to get this feedback. 

Hi Joris , many thanks for explaining the reason why , I like many others struggle with IT change , and I can liken the use of the old format to driving your old MV in the dark where you know where all the controls are ! The new format is similar to jumping in an unfamiliar vehicle equally in the dark , where I can't quite find where the lights or indicators are !  five miles up the road all will be fine , and the same will be for the new forum layout.

Thank you and your team for all the effort needed to make the transition.

• Thanks 1

Hi Joris,

John has put this best, and i heartily endorse what he's said. Thanks for all you and Jack and the other Admins do, yes, I realise that it must be disheartening for you to get this feedback, but many of us like the familiar and until the explanation came, had no idea of why the vhanges had to be made.

cheers, Mad Scientist

PS Can replies be made to individual posts on a thread, or just to the bottom of that particular thread? Otherwise I would have put this reply with John Comber's post, above.