HMVF, Salisbury Plain invation

yogi

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with the F&M disenfecting. Having seen what it can do to a herd, Christ!! the tears start thinking of it. Vehicles cannot catch it but they can spread it. Anyone thinking of green laning in the control areas, please don't.

Aye, Wise Words, indeed.

Lets all pray that the current outbreak is contained and dealt with, soonist.

Respects to all with livestock, in these already difficult times.

Andy

P.S at one time, the being found 'off byway', on salisbury plain, risked a £1000 fine, I believe. (used to use the byways across there, a fair bit; great place to be, esp at dawn, with sun breaking through ground mist. MAGIC !!)

I know what you mean when you say magical: The first time I went out there I was just bowled over about it. A lot of things have changed since then - there are plans in the pipe line to build a massive road running from Perham Down to Warminster, this should take all heavy vehicles away from built-up areas and keep the noise down (GITS).

The P2P is still at Larkhill and the views are as stunning as ever, especially from the NTR looking down into Pewsey.

I can't wait 'til next year, we have soo much to show you! I am working with Chris at Landmarc trying to get to some places that would normally be O.o.B. to most folk. This again will be subject to availability so fingers crossed. We will be going up to Copehill Village FIBUA (Fighting in built-up areas). But we will have to look at it from the outside because of nasties laying around in there. Started work on the track runs and I just dont think a weekend is long enough to get it all in. My plan is to try and get this site every year for us so we can always see different things each time maybe?

With a bit of luck the F&M should be sorted out by then, we have got battle plans set up just incase.

Are we all coming suited and booted, it should give that authentic look to the photographs? I am still trying to find out about us adourning the vehicles with guns but not too sure about the SPTA laws. I will give you all the heads up on this topic as I get it. Personal weapons might be a sticking point but again, I will try and get permission just for photo opportunities.

I do know that carrying any type of fire-arm i.e. Airguns,Shotguns and Crossbows is totally against the law on the SPTA. So is flying kites, Radio controlled planes and RC Helicopters.

Tony.

sounds good, although i am newish to the forum still, if i could get someone to send me some info i am more that interested to bring the FFR down, but i will need some more info, and it depends on if i am at uni or not......sometimes i hate been at uni lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hi chaps

sorry for the delay but Westdown camp are finalizing my proposed routes for the Plain invasion weekend. I should hopefully know by the weekend weather we have the green light ( FINGERS CROSSED ).

I can't work on anything else till I get the licence.

Once again sorry for the hold up but these things are taking longer than I thought.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

I've moved this reply from 'other chatter'.

I'm a little concerned about Roy asking whether myself and Dougie are coming,which all being well we should be,does this mean he may close down for the weekend or something similar. :BANNED!:The last words he spoke to me were along the lines of 'all gnomes are banned',not quite sure what he was implying :dunno:.If he should decide to go into hiding tell him to leave the keys under the mat and we'll help our selves :beer:

Cheers

Dave P

Hi Dave

Saw Roy today and told him you will be back and he is over the moon. He is as excited about us coming back as I am that you all want to come back. At first I was not to sure whether you would all like what we had planned for you.

2008 should be better as we are working on some surprises. You can all have a guess but the cat wont be let out of the bag till the weekend of the visit. Sorry Jack but you are not allowed to guess cos, well you no why :nono:.

Good to have you and Dougie back on board mate it going to be fun.

Tony

I LIVE AND WORK IN COUNTY DURHAM, HAVE OWN MOBILE SLEEPING ACCOMMODATION (CIVVY TRAILER TENT), I ALSO HAVE A VEH CAM NET WHICH I COVER IT WITH IF I USE IT WHEN I'M AWAY WITH THE ARMY CADET FORCE.I ONLY NEED A KIND VOLUNTEER TO LET ME HAVE A RIDE/DRIVE IN A MV. I HAVE GROUP B & H LICENCE, BOTH GAINED ON SALISBURY PLAIN.

BARRY

Hi everyone,

Received this email from Bob at West Down on Friday.

Hi Tony

Now I have approval from the Comdt, I have to go through the bookings procedure and check all other parties are agreeable.

Please send a route map asap, so I can add to the documents I have to send out for the next level of approval…

Thanks,

Bob

This means we have the camp site with the Comdt's approval. Unfortunately there have been casualties; due to SPTA concerns we will not be allowed to use any road crossings. We will be using the center range and so will not be allowed to cross to the East or West. This means the Bailey bridges are out of reach for us, along with the DTA and Beachs Barn. The reasons for not allowing us to use the crossings are; we do not have trained personnel to facilitate each crossing as the Military do, also as it will be a Bank Holiday there will be an increase in traffic and they are concerned for our and public safety :modpwr:

Having said all this, things are not as bleak as they appear: We still have the whole of the center range which comprises of 30,000 - 40,000 acres. This includes the Impact Zone, Greenlands Camp, West Down Camp, woods and not forgetting the Bustard Inn.

We drove the revised route yesterday and it is one hell of a drive - it took us about 4 1/2 hours with only a few stops on the way. Obviously we will be stopping a lot more so you can all have photo opportunities and a good look around. Greenlands Camp will give you some good pictures as it is a built-up area with the added attraction of an Iraqi compound. West Down will be another stopping off point, this will allow us to visit the PARA and Glider Pilot monuments for wreath laying, if you wish?

This should still be one hell of a weekend, and don't forget your cammo nets, tents and camouflage clothing. Keep up your skittles practise as beer and food are once again being provided by the Bustard Inn :tup:

All the best and hope to see you all there.

Tony

HMVF Plain Invasion 2008

tony what is the chance of getting a few sets of mod maps of the plains copied from a local printer as have tried to get one from around here but the o/s maps are not detailed about the ranges

willing to pay of course :schocked:so can get one laminated and routes drawn in wipe it pens :police:

looking forward to visit and skittles championship this year :whistle:will have a cup made up by local trophy maker for first place

I have a map of the ranges, If I can get my hands on a 12X12 army tent for the weekend I will set up a command area were everyone can have a look at the route/s we will be taking. This tent will also have a CB radio set up, I know some of you guys use them so it will be a bit cheaper than mobils. The command tent will be the nerve center for the visit plus a place for a cuppa as there will be a kettle, so bring your cups. The only things that will be on the hard standing next to the camp site will be the command tent and porter loos. If possible we would like to keep the hard standing free of all vehicle for a few idears we are working on. :whistle: :whistle: :dunno:

Now we have the green light for the site we can concentrate on other things. Have not heard anything about the rambers as yet so we might not see them next year. Still waiting to hear from Chris about guns on vehicles

Tony :tup: