CAV regulator Unknown?

Andrew Rowe

I have a 155-2B CAV regulator , 42amps at 12 volt. Does anyone know what sort of vehicle this belongs to? I believe it is WW2 era , it has a tag on it that says it replaces 37S-5X and 37S-4XT. Dingo ? Truck ? Was there ever a book put out by CAV that listed model numbers and their applications? Any help would be useful , Cheers Andrew.

I have a 155-2B CAV regulator , 42amps at 12 volt. Does anyone know what sort of vehicle this belongs to? I believe it is WW2 era , it has a tag on it that says it replaces 37S-5X and 37S-4XT. Dingo ? Truck ? Was there ever a book put out by CAV that listed model numbers and their applications? Any help would be useful , Cheers Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

According to the 6MT4 Vocab, the 155-2B was fitted to Cromwell, Challenger, Centurion, Harry Hopkins, Coventry Armd Car and Comet.

I'm looking for one if it's available? It is indeed Cromwell and Comet.

Centurion did also use 155, but it's a 155-8X. Also 168 as mentionned.

155 is a suppressed version of 141 (if I'm remembering correctly) so there's some crossover.

Edited by Lauren Child
mistake on part number and relation to 168

Centurion is 24volt and uses a 168-3. I agree with the others.

Hi Adrian,

Just shows that errors crept in War Office publications and were never amended !

Actually I can add another vehicle to the list that used the 155-2B, that is the Humber Scout Car Mk1 and 2 (this comes from the vehicle parts book)

My Humber Scout parts list just shows it as a 155-2. I wonder what the B signifies?

Alas no idea on what the B means on the end model number - my guess would be a revision to the original, although looking at a parts list for a similar board (189) the letters used are A, B, M and T with no obvious difference.

If it's a read across from the main number, the letters seem to mean different things on different regulators, so 37A indicates ammeter terminals on a 37, while 155A indicates compensated voltage on the 155.

On the 75 (which will be popular with the softskin fans on the forum) 75B indicates for use with dynamo without field resistance, and 75BT (as on Bedford, Ford etc.) is the same but with a special low temperature regulator.

I have a 155-2B CAV regulator , 42amps at 12 volt. Does anyone know what sort of vehicle this belongs to? I believe it is WW2 era , it has a tag on it that says it replaces 37S-5X and 37S-4XT.

37S series seemed to use H5 regulators & BCK-1 cutouts.

The details of the replacements appear in EMER POWER 0 133 Table 1 1955

Scan0063.jpg

As far as applications go, these were the RAF applications in 1954 taken from AP 25151E Section 16E MT Electrical Equipment

141-1 Humber LRC IIIA

141-2 Bedford MWR

141-3X Bedford QLR

142-1 Bedford MW, QL

• 2 years later...
On 6/19/2017 at 10:14 AM, fv1609 said:

37S series seemed to use H5 regulators & BCK-1 cutouts.

The details of the replacements appear in EMER POWER 0 133 Table 1 1955

Scan0063.jpg

As far as applications go, these were the RAF applications in 1954 taken from AP 25151E Section 16E MT Electrical Equipment

141-1 Humber LRC IIIA

141-2 Bedford MWR

141-3X Bedford QLR

142-1 Bedford MW, QL

Hi Clive

I hope you are keeping well. I have a number of CAV BCK-30 cut-outs and I am struggling to identify the fitment.  The NSN is 2590-99-802-9183.

Would you happen to know in which application they were used?

Kind regards

Matt

2590-99-802-9183 identifies it in VAOS as LV6/MT4/CB/BCK30 although one could have constructed that oneself, such is logic of VAOS unlike the NIIN of NSNs.

It also identifies a Prestolite no. 1871300

Unfortunately there is no RAF Vocab identified but as a double check I went through the AP 1086 Section 16E & drew a blank. Had it been listed it would have given a vehicle application, unlike VAOS that rarely states an application. It is a case of having a hunch about a vehicle then checking in the parts lists for a match.

From EMER POWER is see BCK-30T was used in two applications. I assume T might means tropicalised. 24v & used in Regulator C25T fitted in Control Boards 155/6X & 155/9X.

MWR used BCK-3 in Control Board 141-2

Thanks Clive, and Simon for your anwer.  

Clive, you are bang on with the prestolite parts ref.  I have just uncovered that on the box.

I thought they might be for the Generator panels but from what I can see from the parts manuals they are BCK-37 and 38 which were used in them.

Kind regards, and thank you again for your help.

Matt

IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

• 3 years later...