My Weapon Collection

That's a really nice toy collection. And you don't look very old in the pictures either! ;-)

It was fun to see these photos. My girlfriend isn't very fond of me & the kid buying weapons (real toy, plastic that is! :-D) But we too collect them, and play with them. As I say, let the kids finish playing with guns now and they won't start a war later. :oops:

Again, very nice collections both of you presented. Hope you have as much fun with it as I have with mine.

Marty

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were close enough to the bad guys to need a bayonet on an SMG you had done something SERIOUSLY wrong........ :-o :-o

If it had ever happened to me, I'd have suggested post-Falklands.

We used up all our war stocks of 9mm and 7.62 and had to but in to replenish from India and Pakistan, whose ammunition was widely considered to be extremely poor.

from India and Pakistan, whose ammunition was widely considered to be extremely poor.

Yes... see that on the telly recently with .50cal ammo supplied by India, the guys were continually getting stoppages in combat due to poor manufacture >:(

• 5 weeks later...

Geeesss...how do you get that lot under your bed and hidden from your parents?

I spent a lot of time hiding my Gat gun from mine, and I thought I had a bumnal there with my darts AND pellets!

hahahaha.....the forum does not like @rsenal!!!

Mick,

it's ok I know what he's got... that's why my wallet's always empty :roll:

• 9 months later...
Murphys Law:

12. Never forget that your weapon/ammo was made by the lowest bidder.

sad but true unfortunately

The Indians also supplied a load of 9mm a few years ago, except is was marked as pistol and loaded as SMG. Very suprised faces on the ranges.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Thats very nice collection,but for the people who are not familier with them you should really name them all,starting from the top left hand,:rofl::rofl::rofl:

my small collection, only one missing is the Lee Enfield Mk4 I got from Ryton Arms, am off to Kemble to add to it, I am thinking of a Bren, but will probably change my mind when there!!!!

The M16 ia deactivated blank firer, the browning and the barretta 92f are also blankfirers

The Mortar Tube is a Canadian 60mm,

Enjoy

Mark

PICT0786.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

PICT0033.jpg

I'm after a bayonet for my sterling, interesting that a jungle carbine one fits. Is that the lee enfield carbine?

Ref indian ammo, my brother lived in virginia USA and we bought a load of 7.62 and .303 indian ammo, non stop jams and miss drills!

The Lee Enfield 'Jungle Carbine' is the Number 5 rifle. Cut down barrel with flash hider and reduced woodwork. Kicks like a mule, and is acurate to about two feet, backwards. the early Stirling did fit the number 7 bayonet or the SLR one. The reason why you would want a bayonet on an SMG is still something that eludes me. If they get that close SURRENDER! The Indian's still make and use the Lee Enfeild number 1 rifle. Mind you the ammunition is like the leather, and you really DON'T want to know how they tan that!

I'm after a bayonet for my sterling, interesting that a jungle carbine one fits.

the No5 jungle carbine bayonet was initially the issue bayonet for the Sterling - the ring size is larger and a standard SLR bayonet will not fit as you probably know. I bought a No5 and it looks fine on my Sterling although every ex Ferret crew memeber I have ever spoken too said the same thing - bayonets were never issued to vehicle crews and surrender was the preferred option.

The No 5 bayonet has wooden handle whereas the later "proper" Sterling bayonet is actually a No5 bayonet but with the black metal handles from the standard SLR bayonet. I have never seen the metal one for sale anywhere and my research on bayonet collector forums suggests that one is really rare and a wood handled No5 has as much service pedigree as the later one anyway.

The Sterling user manual refers to a No5 bayonet as well as the later one (I can't remember the correct designation but its something like Bayonet L2A2????)

No5 bayonets are "rare" and expensive - that said they usually crop up on eBay (there are 2 on in australia at the moment) but expect to pay at least £100+

The Indians still make the No5 bayonet as mentioned and in that context you could get one as a "repro" via dealers in the USA eg:

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/atlantacutlery/detail.aspx?ID=411

Edited by john fox

• 2 weeks later...

We used up all our war stocks of 9mm and 7.62 and had to but in to replenish from India and Pakistan, whose ammunition was widely considered to be extremely poor.

:argh:

I did my basic training in 1976 and took a great deal of flak from the DS for firing the Sterling on auto (as did a few of the other guys). When we showed them that we weren't on auto we STILL got chewed out ! It was only after we'd left basic training that we discovered that they were using up a large batch of Indian ammo -......

As an aside I've never come across intended variance in 9mm parabellum ammo (i.e. 9mm for pistol or 9mm for SMG) Basically the 9mm is a high pressure round and increasing the charge to increase the range when used in an SMG is unnecessary and would be incredibly stupid not to mention dangerous ! In the hands of somebody that can shoot a standard 9mm round out of an issue Browning will hit a fig 11 at 100m - I'm sure that Neil can vouch for that. The increased sight base and steadier stance of somebody with an SMG will easily push the range to 200m with the same ammo.

I suspect that the low and high power loads that people have encountered during their service are just the extremes resulting from a lack of quality control during manufacture

:-D

• 8 months later...

The Indian Ammo problem was a result from the good old H.M.Government trying to save a few pennies.

They though by buying in a few Million rounds of Indy 9mm they would make a good killing for cheap training.

In the end, as a few member discovered whilst using it. The pressures varied hugely, & accuracy suffered as well as reliability issues.

I had seperated cases (Ruptured cartridges) some virtually spitting out the muzzle & dropping 8-10 feet in front of me!

Occasonaly, you would get a runaway gun. IE: The sub machine gun would continue to fire full auto without your finger on the trigger!

This was due to weak chamber pressures failing to generate enough gas to blow the Breech block back far enough to engage on the sear. It blew it back , but it was only going back as far as JUST in front of the sear.!

VERY disconcerting to say the least!

In the end, it was policy to only fire Indy 9mm in Browning pistols.

These worked from a closed & locked breech mech that was stronger & therefore safe to fire. In any event sometimes it blew the side back & functioned, sometimes it did not. This was obviously totaly unacceptable & eventualy it was all withdrawn & sea dumped. (In the days when ammo, guns, & weapon spares were allowed to be sea dumped!)

Mike. :coffee:

:argh:

I did my basic training in 1976 and took a great deal of flak from the DS for firing the Sterling on auto (as did a few of the other guys). When we showed them that we weren't on auto we STILL got chewed out ! It was only after we'd left basic training that we discovered that they were using up a large batch of Indian ammo -......

As an aside I've never come across intended variance in 9mm parabellum ammo (i.e. 9mm for pistol or 9mm for SMG) Basically the 9mm is a high pressure round and increasing the charge to increase the range when used in an SMG is unnecessary and would be incredibly stupid not to mention dangerous ! In the hands of somebody that can shoot a standard 9mm round out of an issue Browning will hit a fig 11 at 100m - I'm sure that Neil can vouch for that. The increased sight base and steadier stance of somebody with an SMG will easily push the range to 200m with the same ammo.

I suspect that the low and high power loads that people have encountered during their service are just the extremes resulting from a lack of quality control during manufacture

:-D