Mystery Object No.26

fv1609

With reference to AlienFTM's post, we used to do that when I was in the CCF, but I couldn't (until I read your post) remember how we used to do it.

Will now practise it with my Army Cadets - although might look less effective with 12 of them :dunno:

Stretcher bearers ?

YES absolutely right! I knew I could rely on you, how many have you got right now?

You obviously appreciate the value, for a patient on a stretcher, having bearers of equal height at each end!

For a finale can anyone come up with the appx year?

YES absolutely right! I knew I could rely on you, how many have you got right now?

Thanks Clive,

Lost count now, could be 5 or 6 ? Thought I would let it run a little before posting......some interesting suggestions. As for time frame, I will go 1920's, hope I do not get it right, else people might suspect it is a fiddle :whistle: Not that I am getting any prizes, they seem to have been lost in the post :|

Richard

As for time frame, I will go 1920's, hope I do not get it right,

Nope, so I hope you feel pleased that shows no element of collusion.

I was wondering would the choice of height of the stretcher bearers be modified for ascending gradients & then reversed for descent? ;-)

Somwhere around 1914 then>>>

Yes OK Neil near enough, it was 1911.

Mystery00.jpg

Some of the many exercises seem complicated, over-disciplined or even comical. But I suppose in the heat & distress of battle an adherence to automated drills would help the soldier function with best efficiency considering the appalling things he would be expected to witness.

These stretcher bearers would not be trained to fight & would have had a non-fighting trade. Like my grandfather who enlisted well before WW1. He was an accomplished musician & joined the Army merely to play in the band & see the world. He was stationed in India & they were promised leave at home. To their dismay the journey did not end in the UK but they were sent straight to the front & trained as stretcher bearers.

I never knew my grandfather, but he was devastated by what he saw & would never talk about it other than telling my mother on many occasions that after all that slaughter "men would never go to war again."

WCockcroft.jpg

My grandfather on the left with his brothers.

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

• 3 weeks later...