I bought a Shielder

Pumpkinate

I just purchased a low hours Alvis Shielder from Withams, got to now get it shipped to Australia :cool2:

I'd be grateful for any advice on what I should do when I first receive it (I presume replace all fluids as it has been sitting around for years).

I'm going to buy the manuals from greenmachinesurplus.

I'd also be keen to get some spares if anyone knows of any. It comes with a few spare track segments but that's it. I would really like a spare road wheel and sprocket wheel. And anything else that anyone can recommend!

I just purchased a low hours Alvis Shielder from Withams, got to now get it shipped to Australia :cool2:

I'd be grateful for any advice on what I should do when I first receive it (I presume replace all fluids as it has been sitting around for years).

I'm going to buy the manuals from greenmachinesurplus.

I'd also be keen to get some spares if anyone knows of any. It comes with a few spare track segments but that's it. I would really like a spare road wheel and sprocket wheel. And anything else that anyone can recommend!

get

get as many spare wheels as you can get .they tend to self destruct quite easily .

one of the lads on the forum has the moulds to re rubber them .

have fun .

cheers justin

I have tested a few wheels which have been re-rubbered and they have lasted well. I do not know the company who put the rubber on but if you have wheels to do I can put you in touch (unless Andy seees this)

It's completely off-topic but I'm interested for re-rubbering FV430 wheels. Jobel have made me a couple of polyurethane prototypes to test but it's always useful to know what else is around.

Andy

Congratulations on your purchase.

Now engage someone knowledgeable with decent standards and have them go over it before you export it and then buy a;; the spares that money can buy before you ship it home. Buy everything that you can find despite the cost because in a year from now likely the price will be higher judging by long term prices and availability.

Well done on your purchase, please throw up some pictures for the rest of us to develop envy over.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Richard... that's a great find, that place looks promising and not too far away by Australian standards.

I will get some photos up soon. I have not seen it in person, a friend inspected it for me and took some pics. I decided on the better offering available for the exact same reasoning that spares are going to be hard to find, especially over here.

The big question is, where to find spares? Withams don't have anything. I've emailed Marcus Glenn and Green Machine Surplus. Where else to look? Does anyone know of any spares around?

It's completely off-topic but I'm interested for re-rubbering FV430 wheels. Jobel have made me a couple of polyurethane prototypes to test but it's always useful to know what else is around.

Andy

theres a company in notts I believe that mainly do traction engine wheels .

justin

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Richard... that's a great find, that place looks promising and not too far away by Australian standards.

I will get some photos up soon. I have not seen it in person, a friend inspected it for me and took some pics. I decided on the better offering available for the exact same reasoning that spares are going to be hard to find, especially over here.

The big question is, where to find spares? Withams don't have anything. I've emailed Marcus Glenn and Green Machine Surplus. Where else to look? Does anyone know of any spares around?

Andrew baker or ian galliers would be worth a call or just post an ad on here for what you need

The problem with Shielder is that while the wheels are the same as CVRT, you'll need Stormer track and sprockets. The gearbox is unique to that variant and not the same as CVRT or Stormer. I'm not sure how many parts are common between the engine and a diesel CVRT either. If you look on thexmod.com for SHD you'll find a selection of parts, but you may not like the prices as they are not aimed at collectors!

Andrew baker or ian galliers would be worth a call or just post an ad on here for what you need

Thanks Justin. I found Ian Galliers on Milweb. Is Andrew Baker a member here?

The problem with Shielder is that while the wheels are the same as CVRT, you'll need Stormer track and sprockets. The gearbox is unique to that variant and not the same as CVRT or Stormer. I'm not sure how many parts are common between the engine and a diesel CVRT either. If you look on thexmod.com for SHD you'll find a selection of parts, but you may not like the prices as they are not aimed at collectors!

Thanks for the insight, I knew the track was unique to the Stormer series, but didn't know the road wheels are shared with the CVRTs. I'll have a look on thexmod site. I also just discovered cvrtparts.com

• 6 months later...

Well, I received my Shielder a few weeks ago and was able to ship spares with it luckily. Overall, it's in great condition although there are a few issues to sort. It arrived with dud batteries and it appears during it's quarantine cleaning they managed to bash the tachometer sender wires off, so at first it wouldn't change gear. Both those problems were an instant fix. Some of the electrics aren't working which I'll look into. The braking and steering feel a bit weak but it may just be rusty/oily discs as I've only run it up and down my driveway twice so far. Annoyingly, the quarantine cleaners left it in the rain for a week I'm guessing with the hatches open and bolts removed from the rear tray inspection plates... it arrived with water in it and sadly my spare filters etc were in the rear storage compartment so bits were going rusty and the spare air filters were soggy and spotted with mould.

It now sits in my shed and I plan to give it a thorough service and fix all issues before running it again. Will take the armour off the cockpit so I can get the driver's seat out to respray it too as it's the only bit that looks a little tired.

20171023_181952.jpg

20171023_181959.jpg

20171023_180030.jpg

On 5/7/2017 at 12:36 AM, Richard Farrant said:

Richard

That link is broken, can you send direct please?

Regards

Doug

Hi Pumpkinate,

As you are in Australia, you might be interested in the attached which was sent to me to include in the club newsletter of an Australian military vehicle group. Worth checking out as it would be more convenient for you than dealing with a UK based business.

regards, Richard

Big Tyre.pdf

7 hours ago, dgrev said:

Richard

That link is broken, can you send direct please?

Regards

Doug

Hi Pumpkinate,

As you are in Australia, you might be interested in the attached which was sent to me to include in the club newsletter of an Australian military vehicle group. Worth checking out as it would be more convenient for you than dealing with a UK based business.

regards, Richard

Doug,

Think the attachment must have gone missing during the website changeover, here is the website:

https://bigtyre.com.au/wheels/vintage

• 8 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 10:15 AM, daleheywoodtanks said:

How is the clean up on the shielder going ?

Have you found anymore issues ?

The clean up went well. I did a general service (change oils/filters/brake pads). I removed armour to get the seat out which is very easy (about 30 min to get the cockpit exposed) and took the seat out to respray it. Painted a few other bits too. While I was doing this some electrical issues (eg various lights not working) all fixed themselves which I presume was something drying out!

I'm yet to fit a reversing camera but have the kit.

It drives very well and I've had it up to 70km/h on my driveway.

It also comes in handy for receiving deliveries when semitrailers won't come up to my house!

20180112_174449.jpg

20180114_124615.jpg

20180114_172233.jpg

20180515_214433.jpg

20180515_222304.jpg

• Like 1