another Diamond T 980 restoration

On 2/17/2019 at 12:05 PM, attleej said:

John is right about liner corrosion on Rolls Royce engines.  With an Eagle, which is very similar to C range, it MUST be run with 50% antifreeze.  Obviously good quality A/F.  I am sure test running it without would not be a problem.  Rolls also supplied a corrosion inhibitor for use in sunnier climes.

John

thank you for the pointer John i put a 60/40 mix in write from the start so i'll top the A/F up a bit more as the truck has sat for a few years with no coolant in it at all.

sam

I had an amusing incident with my dry sump C6 in a Constructor,  a liner seal developed a leak and about a gallon of coolant ended up in the sump.  On starting, the scavenge pump transferred the water to the oil tank with such force that it shot a jet of oily water about 10 feet upwards, fortunately the oil filler cap was spring loaded which acted as a safety valve.

Moral of the story is to always check the oil and coolant levels before start up after standing for a while, the loss of water could have been due to a head gasket failure which may have filled a cylinder with coolant. 

interesting story luckily in my case the bottom hose had been pulled and all the coolant drain taps opened.

i put a bore scope down as many of the water ways as i could and they all looked very clear.

the oil cooler was in good condition and the sump was fairly clean as well so the engine at least had been looked after.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

collected the cab from Jason Jeffries today and absolutely delighted with the result of all his hard work looking forward to fitting gauges and all the other bits n pieces to the skuttle. still waiting for the clutch and release bearing but ounce i have those will be ably to drive it. so getting closer and looking on track to have it out this year. 

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

• Like 5

Indeed, for it would be a royal pain in the b----cks to do it twice on account of a bad throw out bearing or transmission... The work you're doing seems monumental, since all I have ever done are jeeps; and now trying to do a replica Chevrolet WA (30 CWT) LRDP,  which is a real challenge in terms of certain parts to give it some originality...

• 2 weeks later...

been using all the spare hours in the day getting as much small parts fitted to the skuttle and getting the last of the fuel and air lines in. the clutch came back on thursday which was a huge relief as it has been gone for 4 months know but it has mean't i can fill that large hole in the middle of the truck. needed a bit of time spent re adjusting the clutch pedal linkage and the clutch air cylinder linkage (for operating the winch) but all expected. 

next steps will involve having a complete new wiring loom made and getting the fuel tanks repaired/fitted then the cab can be fitted. still aiming to have the truck ready for Welland but will see how we get on.

001.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

018.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

024.JPG

025.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

been making new mounts to fit the air cleaners, originally these were both mounted side by side on the off side of the engine bay. but i am loosing the bulged bonnet so i can go back to the nice clean original lines. also got the new US diamond plate at the benders being cut and bent up. soon as they are done i can get the near side running board sorted, battery box on bit more pipe work then bolt the cab on.

also waiting for various parts to turn up so i can sort the exhaust system and plumb the air cleaners into the inlet manifold. so getting closer and closer to driving it.    

002.JPG

001.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

009.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

my apologies for lack of updates on the diamond mix of work, many on going projects and forgot my password for this forum so new login it is. 

various things have happened since the last post, i have my new seats which are superb and incredibly comfortable, managed to acquire a replacement ballast box which has saved a lot of time and £££ over making a new one. also the whole truck is know wired and working bar head lights. 

i'll sort more pics out soon for a better up date on the truck.

regards sam     

WP_20200112_13_51_01_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20200219_19_34_45_Pro[1].jpg

• Like 5

the replacement ballast box is in very good condition with no deep rot just patches of surface rust which will get dealt with at the shot blasting/painting stage.

spent a few days sorting out all the small jobs:

straighten and re weld the left grab handle

IMG_5657.thumb.JPG.60b7167943043368ca8ebd09ff52daa3.JPG

replace the tail gate hinge pin with a new one as original was bent

IMG_5661.thumb.JPG.a1606f94d794a42128021934e223cf2a.JPG

removed the post war light clusters and welded up all the un wanted holes and cut out the blanking plates which blanked the original tail light holes

IMG_5656.thumb.JPG.dc4111b18e0ad40c7578ed273b23e7cd.JPG

IMG_5655.thumb.JPG.452cc0ba2a6d22f061acd1ec7d64576c.JPG

made new tail light holders and welded them in   

IMG_5654.thumb.JPG.ca12fb84884e049b905b0e231322e800.JPG

so just need a few weeks of dry weather to get it blasted and painted then that will be the last big lump done and fitted.

i'll have to take pics of the wiring and other bits as the pics i had have gone missing so will sort that out at the weekend.

regards sam

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Scammell4199 said:

Cracking work Sam.

Are you bringing it to A&E?

Richard

evening Richard

sadly the T wont be ready for A&E this year even though that was my full intention but it just hasn't worked out.

so i'll be going with Jason Jefferies and his 981/rogers.  

12 hours ago, hummermark said:

Hi what's the brown stuff you have used between the running bord and step? I presume it's some sort af anti corrosion coating.

it's waxoil i sprayed it every were, inside the doors, the whole under side of the cab and in between all mating surfaces. 

this truck last worked in scotland on heavy recovery work and by the time i got her she was bursting every were with rust!!

so gone for the very long term approach of paint every thing then waxoil or grease as i have gone. 

took some fresh pics tonight of some of the wiring annoyingly i have lost the pics of all the series parallel switch wiring and know the floor is in properly i am no going to scratch the paint to show you all how good it is sorry lol. 

skuttle junction strip, i have used the original colour coded braided wire i have been able to get it and the rest i have had to get the next best thing. yes nearly all of it you don't seen know i have wrapped it up in the old style canvas/tape but it is how it is mean't to be.

1026459021_WP_20200306_19_01_43_Pro1.thumb.jpg.5f5f684c12a1a022d4d7fb8171182246.jpg

behind the dash just a few wires to finish fitting and tape some wires so they are secure.

1056579900_WP_20200306_19_02_39_Pro1.thumb.jpg.af42d585f5a86691d28d1e37e9ad626a.jpg

originally the tail light wiring went up and over the top of the steel rail on the bottom of the ballast box which would sit on the wooden beam. but have changed that as you can see just to make the wiring tidier and less likely to chafe and rub.

821652798_WP_20200306_19_01_04_Pro1.thumb.jpg.e80cd7feace9087f5c80a9570085d3c3.jpg

rear tail light wiring and 4 pin trailer plug socket wiring all taped up and secured with rubber lined stainless "P" clips, again improvement over the original method of just laying it in the chassis with the odd p clip and letting the wiring rub on the frame etc etc.

492800567_WP_20200306_19_01_19_Pro1.thumb.jpg.4eb701bb72af9b0798efb2b090fbb47f.jpg

hopefully a better shot of the seats and cab interior, sorry about the amount of shadow in the shed hopefully have the truck out side soon for some better pics.

1668756373_WP_20200306_19_03_51_Pro1.thumb.jpg.8db14b134797296ffa5fbd5b98f2a2a1.jpg

1232395947_WP_20200306_19_03_56_Pro1.thumb.jpg.17999f90fe5b3b14bfe13a6147d267b3.jpg

been scratching my head on what to do about indicators for months and months as i didn't want to loose the nice side lights on the front as being a large vehicle and likely driving in the dark regularly i want every one to know how wide i am. so thought about land rover indicators as i have seen these on other large trucks and they are functional but not in your face which with more and more stupid un aware drivers out there know i wasn't happy with these. so stumbled on these LED strips on ebay which are 2 strips for £8 and thought why not. turns out these are the boys to use i think but what do you think?

i got hold of some magnets which i have bolted to some steel bar then stuck the LED strips to them. so they stick on the bottom of the bumper then at a show or a historic event/road run you just pull them off and stick them to the back side of the bumper out of sight. 

Edited by the DT guy
  • Like 3

Very neat Sam, I haven't seen you around for a while, will you be bringing this to this year's Lacock at War? Application forms can be downloaded from our website westwiltsmvt.org.uk.

Maybe see you at Heddington.

Did you manage to get that trailer?

Edited by johnwardle
Extra text added