Did it happen?

Just to stop you all looking for aliens and conspiracies in the wrong place, it's 'Area 51' you want, not area 57!

The original name for the base was/is 'Watertown AFB'. This was the starting point for the CIA's U-2, A-12 and SR-71 Blackbird spy missions. In 1955, 'Paradise Ranch' was adopted at the suggestion of "Kelly" Johnson, the Lockheed designer. Many pilots referred to it as 'The Ranch'.

'Area 51' was the designation of the land seizure in 1958. This was a 38,400 acre block of land around the base and dry lake bed.

'Dreamland' was the radio call sign for the base in the late 1960's and is often used by alien and UFO hunters.

It is also known as the Groom Lake Test Facility after the dry lake bed which forms an extension to the main runway.

Lots more info about the place can be found here - Dreamlandresort.com

Steve

Also been suggested that a lot of UFO hunters lurking round the outside reporting strange and weird lights was great dis-information tool to cover the actual work going on there. Works very well actually, throw a lot of consipary theory into a project and you can get away with anything.

I'm not MAD, my voices tell me I'm perfectly sane.

Just to stop you all looking for aliens and conspiracies in the wrong place, it's 'Area 51' you want, not area 57!

And I've told you: this Alien (FTM) is fire warden for Area 57 of our complex. But you'll have to get past security to find me.