Fantic Motor. Who remebers them ? Who owned one ?

Ian L

I've got two early stainless mudguard  Fantic Caballero's but I urgently need either a pair of new shocks or a pair of the alloy shock adjusters that the Caballeros had on their rear shocks.  Just had one pair of my shocks rechromed and now one of the alloy adjusters has disintegrated as soon as I tried to adjust it!!  Any help appreciated.... 

By the way, on the topic of Fantic's back in the day.  I was lucky enough to convince my Dad to help me buy a 1975 Fantic Caballero.  I drove that absolutely everywhere and after passing my test, about a month after being 16, I then took my mate around two up quite a bit of the time.  My memories are that the Fantic's, (particularly the 7.2bhp Caballero and GT) were faster than anything else you were likely to come across and it helped if you only weighted about 8 st as I did at the time!  No idea about actual top speeds as the speedo was all over the place buy my Dad followed me once and his car speedo showed I was doing about 58mph that day.  What I can say is that (unless I was two up!) nothing in the way of 50cc's ever came past me unless I was just ploppin' about.  The other thing I'd like to mention is reliability.  Like I said, I did absolutely loads of miles on my original Cabby and ended up clocking about 4000 miles in the one year before moving on to a car.  In all that time I only ever had two things break - one was a chain (my fault for not greasing it probably!) and I had a crack in the cylinder head so needed a new one.  oh and a few rear light bulbs blew.... Other than that it was 100% reliable - always started first time....  Sadly I couldn't hold on to that original - like most people it had to go to finance the car, but I did buy another one and restore it back in 1991 - I still have it and that one has now done over 6000 miles since its rebuild and again it's been 100% reliable.  So it always upsets me when people say that Fantic's were unreliable - that lovely Minarelli P4 or P6 engine was going for years and were very reliable.  I think the Fantic version was specced up a bit to get the claimed 7.2  BHP I think.  

• 2 years later...

I had a Fantic GT in 1979 when i was sixteen. The Fantic was most certainly the fastest moped at the time. The Ferrari of the moped world.

I bought one again last year aged 59 and 13 stone. It’s obviously not as fast as my first one due to power to weight ratio these days, but it’s great to be riding a GT once again!