Panzer 2 turret

johann morris

Purely out of curiosity, can anybody explain how “promotion” works on this forum?

It doesn’t seem entirely fair to me that “Johann”, with 400+ posts, an impressive collection of MV’s and one of the bravest and most interesting  projects we have seen, should remain a Lance Corporal....

Edited by mtskull

Entirely based on the number of posts. This is to encourage conversations and indeed participation. It is not meant to be taken that seriously but it is quite fun when you get promoted particularly if, like me, you have no idea what the promotion points are !

David

17 hours ago, David Herbert said:

Entirely based on the number of posts. This is to encourage conversations and indeed participation. It is not meant to be taken that seriously but it is quite fun when you get promoted particularly if, like me, you have no idea what the promotion points are !

David

Something is out of kilter then; I’m Staff Sergeant with 252 posts but Johann is Lance Corporal with 448....

22 hours ago, mtskull said:

Purely out of curiosity, can anybody explain how “promotion” works on this forum?

It doesn’t seem entirely fair to me that “Johann”, with 400+ posts, an impressive collection of MV’s and one of the bravest and most interesting  projects we have seen, should remain a Lance Corporal....

Thanks for the thought mtskull, it's something that I have never paid much attention to, how it works is a mystery and for others to decide but I suppose, as in real life, it depends on how your face fits. As for fizzers, I have no idea what that means.

Jon

• Up 1

I think the +35  shows that your face fits OK, lots of well deserved support for your posts.

I thought the "rank" was a direct link to post as well, maybe software glitches.

A "Fizzer" is a disciplinary charge usually punished with jankers.  So I hear...

Iain

Hi David,

As a moderator we don't have control of 'rank'. It is all linked to the number of posts you have made. I know when the forum went through an upgrade a few years back, the number of posts seemed to have varied, some went higher, some lower. The current figure of +35 is the important thing as that shows real appreciation from other forum members.

regards, Richard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All,

I have started fabricating the track guards, they are not as straight forward as one would think and as I haven't got the machinery neccassery to bend steel angle there is a lot of fabricating to do. The retaining brackets are a multitude of different angles and took quite a bit of research but I think that they are some where near. I haven't had any luck finding the correct steel for the guards at a sensible price, so at present I am just going to use modern diamond tread plate but I am making them in such a fashion that if some plate in the correct pattern does become available, it won't take much to change them.

DSC06602.thumb.JPG.7fcc1162c105ed95a5f1f8436d24ecec.JPG DSC06603.thumb.JPG.68e2c972da34e4606af6f362086fe90d.JPG  DSC06606.thumb.JPG.2888ae3e1029deac65e93ed1dc7d8915.JPG

DSC06607.thumb.JPG.83d0bc901f75ed0c05025129d0c8e6a3.JPG

It took ages to find a horn of the correct diameter and I thought the chrome effect would look quite flashy in a combat situation. The piece of tube sticking out is a stop for the drivers hatch and will have a rubber bung in the end when I have made it.

DSC06605.thumb.JPG.5cf5abb4eca607ff1af9638cc887e65e.JPG  DSC06608.thumb.JPG.a1612022a8a8fc5187c8facbcac10ab8.JPG

• Like 3
  • Up 1

All of a sudden it has grown and made, what would appear to be, a massive leap forward. The remainder of the resin has arrived, so I can now cast the tyres on road wheels. next job is to get the upper hull in place and start fabricating the engine deck.

Jon

DSC06611.JPG

DSC06613.JPG

DSC06616.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments:thumbsup:

It was obvious from early on, that the retaining clips that go around the exterior of the mould weren't going to give a very long life, so after casting the second tyre I decided to make a modification.

DSC06633.thumb.JPG.400e02af617240a38577d0f3d3872381.JPG

It's a much better solution.

My wood workshop has now become a casting shop for the duration and one of the other water tanks has become a make shift oven for drying the wheels after washing.

DSC06634.thumb.JPG.8761ad5c552b20f24e5be9091aab57d6.JPG DSC06635.thumb.JPG.acd7d752d3a9238744b314960eb81a98.JPG

Jon

• Like 5

Plan John, did someone mention a plan, I thought I made it up as I went along.

In truth the tracks are the one unknown. I could try to find enough originals or have some cast or even fabricate them, cost is a huge factor. So now you know as much as I do and that's not a lot, lets wait and see what turns up.

Jon

• Like 1