The Cold War Museum

Okay here's where we are...I now have planning permission to store my collection on my land, I needed planning permission to do this, my own land my own stuff and I needed planning permission to store it..I truly wonder at the way this country is heading...

So now I can move all my stuff and its in one place...still cant erect any buildings to put them under cover but that is the next task...I am about to put in permission for change of use to a Museum, once thats done and the new entrance approved we will put in an application for the first stage of simple sheds to see what sort of interest I can generate for the museum...its getting very close... 

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 13.35.05.png

yep its an incredibly arduous laborious expensive game very similar to the lottery the terms of chances of succeeding...but I have been doing this for many years and building it into a museum has been my plan for a very long time and no one in EHDC is going to stop me from trying...i am as they say nearly there.

Agricultural buildings  now subject to applications.

ISTR  it may be only within the  "curtilage" of your home  ,  sheds / garages only have some restrictions on height depending on type of roof - pitched / flat type slope.  So temporary construction such as timber - you can do as you like up to a max. floor area of 30 square metre. 

IIRC there is a stipulation of abt 15 ft distance from the house and obviously behind the  ' building line' facing a public highway.

"Curtilage" being a bit arguable for definition & if 30 square meter is not sufficient , there is no limit as such , you just build another detached shed/garage , then another, then another.

Actually , I think the same criteria applied with brick/stone/block type constructions provided they are within the curtilage.

I suppose unless you need 24/7 access (or worker access to livestock buildings) , you would have even more aggo. to build a house to obtain that all important curtilage.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:35 PM, Surveyor said:
On 3/1/2019 at 1:54 PM, ruxy said:

Agricultural buildings  now subject to applications.

ISTR  it may be only within the  "curtilage" of your home  ,  sheds / garages only have some restrictions on height depending on type of roof - pitched / flat type slope.  So temporary construction such as timber - you can do as you like up to a max. floor area of 30 square metre. 

IIRC there is a stipulation of abt 15 ft distance from the house and obviously behind the  ' building line' facing a public highway.

"Curtilage" being a bit arguable for definition & if 30 square meter is not sufficient , there is no limit as such , you just build another detached shed/garage , then another, then another.

Actually , I think the same criteria applied with brick/stone/block type constructions provided they are within the curtilage.

I suppose unless you need 24/7 access (or worker access to livestock buildings) , you would have even more aggo. to build a house to obtain that all important curtilage.

yes this one I use already,...

yes i use this one already...

• 1 month later...

okay good news two planning permissions accepted one lost but we have another go at that one with the museum application itself...but it means we could actually open the museum 28 days a year within the next few months but I am not going to do that I am going for the permission.  its getting very exciting...

Planning is bizzare, especially it seems for Atractions! Now if you open your farm to visitors, you need to have a 'Performing Animals Licence'. The rear performance of said animals comes very strongly to mind. Noli Iliggitimi Carborundum! Keep at out and wear the B***ers down!

I hope so...but even if no one shows I will enjoy it myself...and I plan to spend the next 20 years building the collection...I am independent of work these days so can now spend my hours writing up books and studying the cold war past present and future...

its very very exciting at last...just saving up a few pennies now to buy a Phantom and Mig 21 for the museum...loads to do ready for the 1st May next year which is my target date...

• 2 weeks later...

SO I have just acquired a dummy warhead for  a Type V111 torpedo...along with the motor...it will make a fitting display to recognise the part they played in the Falklands war...excited about this...also in the running for a Cold War East German patrol boat, still in East German colours...and with aloads of paraphernalia...very exciting times...

4 hours ago, paulob1 said:

SO I have just acquired a dummy warhead for  a Type V111 torpedo...along with the motor...it will make a fitting display to recognise the part they played in the Falklands war...excited about this...also in the running for a Cold War East German patrol boat, still in East German colours...and with aloads of paraphernalia...very exciting times...

Sounds good, any pictures

A good tone setter to have just inside the entrance would be a copy of the sign that was just inside the gates of RAF Bruggen ( out of sight of the main road).

"Our task in peace Is to train for war- and Dont you forget it."

It was a big sign that you could not miss every time you entered camp and was not popular with some civilian family members.

But that summed it up, it's why we were there.

Iain

Edited by Mk3iain
Correction...

4 hours ago, paulob1 said:

Is it a GSB 075? They have the same engine as the BRDM-2, except 2 of them :) I've been to a dealer who has loads of them, including engines..

32 minutes ago, FW200 said:

Is it a GSB 075? They have the same engine as the BRDM-2, except 2 of them :) I've been to a dealer who has loads of them, including engines..

the Type V111 torpedo was the first burner engine built by the british in 1925 and was effectively a diesel engine not a petrol engine like the BRDM2..it generated about 322 bhp..see below...

Britain held a technological lead in torpedo development for much of the period between the World Wars, but they were overtaken by the Japanese with their use of pure oxygen. However, the British remained ahead of all other nations. This success was mainly due to the adoption of the Brotherhood burner-cycle engine. The burner-cycle engine was in effect a semi-diesel. Typically, air pressurized to about 840 lbs./in2 (59 kg/cm2) was heated to about 1,800ºF (1,000ºC) by burning a small amount of atomized kerosene-type fuel. This hot air/gas mixture was then fed into the engine via poppet valves and more fuel was injected into each cylinder a little before TDC (Top Dead Center). The spontaneous ignition of this mixture powered the engine.

not sure where you think the BRDM2 fits in...but i ask has loads of what tell me more...pm me please...

three more trees to go, it looks like we have aother two dead ones so we will get those out too, massive trees interesting that they have died....one i was thinking would be in the way has gone and died for us so that will be okay, the two other ones the tree surgeon asked us to take down its close to power lines...will get that done by the insured boys, my method of controlled downing is cutting the tree part way through attaching a very long rope and pulling it down with a truck... As long as there is space anyway... and the other three are sadly too close to items of interest, fences and the power lines already mentioned so cherry picker needed....we will then have good access to the site and once we get the next planning permission we will level the ground pack hardcore and build some simple sheds for our first pass at running the museum...its not what I want but planning is such a palaver I am taking it in stages..  in three years i will have the buildings I want...however some of the plans may have to stay outside for a bit longer....

• 4 months later...

\SO its been an interesting month.

We took delivery of the Frog 7 missile launcher, a ZIl 135 part of the 9K52-Luna M missile system..

We have bought a T54

An FV433 Abbott

A Volvo antitank unit L4151

A luaz 967M  amphibious and  a 969m pickup utility.

A KMZ Dniepr 650 and a 750  motorbikes

and a A Rover 3500 P6.

Its all preparing for the museum day...planning is now just awaiting the final survey due in days and we will have change of use to a museum and planning to widen the entrance...than we will apply for the sheds for phase 1, get the museum open and start restoring to museum quality the exhibits and all the other paraphernalia I have collected...its going to be a very busy time...

• Like 2