The Cold War Museum

It's got caught by the same problem I had with trying to build a barn - a statement of need saying why it can't be built elsewhere.  That's unfortunately almost impossible.  The fact that it's on land you own rather than land you don't is apparently irrelevant.  😞

Andy

Dont worry guys, this was expected, i have all the reasons now to address them and will put in a followup application addressing all the points and this is free of charge.  I will also start the appeal.

I will also be opening 28 days a year on the 1st May 2021 so its all going to happen...not quite how I wanted it to be but it will be a load of items in a field and a few containers and tents...bit of a mess but it is going to open...May bank holiday will be the official opening of the museum...i just hope as many of you can attend as possible...

• Like 1

It would 'appear' that one of the reasons they have fielded. Is the 'Accommodation' side of things. I can understand that. They Might think this section would be abused, & that it would be a get around. For housing people fulltime.

You could drop that 'Facility' & have some containers converted inside for accommodation. The Army have done this. Then the Powers that be, dont need to know about this......

I think I can see the route you are taking? Opening in limited times & getting boots through the door (Documented with a visitors book! ) The you can PROVE the need for a fulltime Museum at a later Date perhaps?....If they dont like the Café idea also. You could have a replica NAAFI Van there. operating with drinks & snacks. NOT a permanent structure & a vehicle.....;) Just some ideas perhaps?

I try not to comment on things like this but how strange that the council say that the local area had no connection to what has been called the cold war in that period we all that were alive had the  KOREAN   WAR CUBAN CRISIS   never have we been closer to the 3rd world war as then the BERLIN WALL  and others it effected ever one in the UK and the rest of the world  may be the people at the council were not around at that time GOD PROTECT US FROM PEOPLE LIKE THIS

• Like 1

Yes indeed Wally. You cant help but wonder, had Paul applied for permission for Another garden centre selling lots of Pretty coloured Flowers. & a Shop retailing Fluffy Bunnies. & Bags to put over your head to Blot out the World. & Reality. & having a fitness instructor facilities,, to enable a certain section of the public. to be able to stretch. Enough to enable them to stick thier heads up thier own Posteriors. It might well have gotten passed?...…...

you are not far from the truth here...the people who live in Beech are exactly those kinds of people, not here but happy for it to be somewhere else...the local MP wont even talk to me, wont meet me and wont engage at any level...it just shows how prejudice overpowers many of those in positions of authority...

Naafi van is exactly the way I plan to go, it wont be on anywhere near the scale I wanted it to me and it will be weather dependant but the museum will now open...but there is a lot more fighting to go on with...

Paul, If you can prove visitor numbers & footfall to the Museum. After 1 year you could argue your case for  bigger Better Expansion?  Hard to argue with facts, & visitor numbers would prove your case perhaps? Then you would be IMPROVING Facilities to cater for the great numbers?...…..;) 

1 hour ago, paulob1 said:

Brilliant pictures re wolfgang...love the chieftain alongside...I am looking for copies of peoples memorabilia of BAOR. If anyone has photos and can copy it or me..

Its going to be an odd museum when the proprietor cannot tell the difference between a Chieftain and a Challenger !

Anyway the best of luck.

currently my life is a rush and I am dropping the ball a lot, did a quiz too quickly and got it wrong, never get them wrong...just too distracted with so many things going on but yes tony I will go with your answer...

so the plan was to reapply for the museum and try to change the councils planning departments mind.  We think that is highly unlikely and will cost another £15,000 pounds, plus for yet another refusal.   So I have decided to drop all the planning work.  I can open 28 days a year and that is what I will do...it wont be the place I want and the visual impact of loads of tanks plane trucks and other stuff dotted about by them will be far greater than the visual impact of the building I was planning so hopefully in a couple of years when we reapply we will have proven the need, proven the demand, proven the sustainability and then with a  nice new building we can tidy up the site to make it much more amenable in the rural area...if not then it just caries on as is...