'Flying Legends' Duxford 7/8th - Warbirds are MV's after all!

The planes were on their way to Southern France to film because the English summer wasn't as nice as in 1940 and they were loosing too much shooting time! All the scenes with loads of He111's were in Spain because the Spanish airforce wouldn't let them leave the country. Only two were allowed abroad which is why you only ever see two Heinkels over London.

Steve

Steve - thanks for starting this thread.

Great pix and some great background info. Nice follow on from Op. Bolero as well (shame Bolero II wasnt quite as successful!).

Alan - you said you werent gonna post any pix up as Steve had covered it, but I say the more the merrier! When I get round to it I'll post up a couple of my more arty-farty efforts for something a bit different.

I think I concentrated as much on the gorgeous sky/clouds as the aeroplanes, 'specially saturday...

Zoomer

Zoomer

I posted some last night...The B-25, Bearcat, Spitfire in a tussel with the Buchon. And later on I posted some of the F-15.

I love this forum as you never know where it is going....Battle of Britain..1969 ....Saw a lot of the planes flying over as we lived in Newmarket which is not far from Duxford....Susannah York even at ten years of age I knew a honey when I saw one!! Ha

Alan

Here's a photo taken at Duxford on Sat made to look old

Headcorn in kent do a 'Flying Proms 'Concert, don'yt think I'll make it this year, but I recommend antone to contact them and offer a vehicle to attend. The first year there was Spit and Hurri to Battle of Britian theme and 2 Mustangs to Glenn Miller not to mention the most outstanding display of glider acrobatice, I didn't think a glider could do what the pilot did. Last year had a mass of Tiger Moths . The dtae is Late August I think.

http://www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk/

Steve, you've certainly captured the atmosphere of Legends, as you say it really is a must for anyone into oily nuts n bolts.

Its a shame the P40B didn't display, I don't know why they left it till the 27th June to unpack it.

Great photo's!!!

Would love to be at one of those airshows!

In 1996 we hired 2 Cessna's with pilots for a flight from Eindhoven.

The B-25 was stationed there and we could go up close, peered in the bomb bay.

There was also a Catalina parked.

The Dutch flags on the B-25 doesn't look authentic but it is with a very heartwarming story behind it.

After the occupation of the Dutch Indies the Dutch civilians were put in camps.

The Dutch B 25 crews painted the flags on the bomber and flew over the camps to let them know they were still fighting and to give them hope...