fv1609

Rectifier? (Possibly mercury vapour type with the screw-in part having the heater coil to get it started and the not-shown other end being the anode connection.)

Could also be a thyratron or ignitron, I suppose.

Interesting thought Chris but not a rectification device.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Inter-vehicle connector for starting?

Interesting with 1,000 volts Richard!

But it is transport related.

I think that is everyone replied to. My response time can vary as I can have no broadband connection here as we are too far from the exchange. So I am using a yagi on the roof to a 4G hub in the loft to access a mast out of sight around the corner of a hill. Access is very variable from nothing to occasionally 40mbs!

If I don't respond it doesn't necessarily mean someone has got the right answer & I want to delay the announcement :-D

I think that My response time can vary as I can have no broadband connection here as we are too far from the exchange. So I am using a yagi on the roof to a 4G hub in the loft to access a mast out of sight around the corner of a hill. Access is very variable from nothing to occasionally 40mbs!

You do realise you have a massive business opportunity there Clive, those welsh hill and valley dwellers need you! :-D

You would think that Bernard. There is even a grant available for satellite internet where you can't get broadband or by swapping you can double your speed, but the providers I have approached seem totally disinterested in attempting to provide this service so I had improvise something myself. Although satellites seem to be predominantly in a direction screened by trees & hills.

There is no phone coverage unless you have a yagi on the roof even the clocks linked to Rugby/Droitwich? periodically lose time. So not a good location for a radio amateur! On the other hand when the phone engineer who was unable to detect any useful broadband (he thought it might take about a day to send an email) said we did have a good view. Yes the only house you can see is one across the valley, so swings & roundabouts :-D

Archived