Libya, Tripolitania, vehicles, barracks 1950s to 1966

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Farewell to you Lords, Ladies, noble friends and those few of less than honourable intent, for the grains of Tripolitanian sands have ebbed from the timer of patience and tolerance, some grains seemin

We are connected now ..... even though I'd not looked at this thread for 18 months! He has info, official docs and photos from me now. Happiness.

I am new to this website having joined seeking information about some trucks that appeared in a photo of my father on vehicle guard duty in the 1930s.  Having a look round I came across this thread, 

Posted Images

On 2/20/2021 at 5:47 PM, ploughman said:

Blue Belle

I may have asked before, if so apologies.

Do you have any info on 169  Railway Workshop Squadron in use on the Egyptian State Railway and into Tripolitania.

Possibly with a location of Qasfareet.

Many thnks.

Hello Ploughman (and Lizzie if she's listening)

Whilst researching my own Topic I came across a small reference to 169 Ry Wksp Sqn RE in the History of the Royal Engineers Volume 10 which covers the period 1948 to 1960.  It is in Chapter IV Page 87.  I think if you were to look in Volume 9 you might find soomething else (too early for my purposes).  The history is free to view on line at this link.  Hope this is of some help, Jim.  RE History Vol 10.  

Dear Ploughman, if you want to wade through nearly 800 pages of The Desert Railway, try this https://www.nzsappers.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/The-Desert-Railway.pdf

Stuff in there too, on Staniers.....steam puffers which may pop corks for some!

The website has been a great source of British Royal Engineers reference material for my RE research in Libya since I embarked upon my 'crazy' project...... have a good look around it.

https://www.nzsappers.org.nz/introduction/heritage-material/

This is the best place for anyone to start on anything Royal Engineers.....journals with much high-brow stuff and so on but unfortunately there are  no 'Sapper' magazines which are really really full of more useful useable information. Again I suggest, turn to the RE Museum.

Edited by BlueBelle
Add link
  • 1 month later...
On 10/23/2016 at 4:08 AM, BlueBelle said:

It went quiet, maybe you fell off your sandbags or got a bigger kick on here out of winter woolly combat hats? 😄

Thanks to Charles Yerrell 6RTR/2RTR for the following photos and for allowing me to use them. Sandbags plumped up again, bottle of Miranda to hand, sit back and enjoy!

Look what was parked up in front of the 2RTR cookhouse in Homs, Libya 1959! Far more exciting than a Katy K2 fake, Richard!

There were three of these parked up (dumped), used in the film 'Ice Cold in Alex' and then returned to Homs for plunder by LAD fitters determined to keep other ones 'on the road', so to speak. They must have been 'borrowed' from 6RTR who occupied Homs 1957-59 as the film was made in 1957 to early 1958 and released in June 1958. There's just a slim chance that they were 'borrowed' from 3RHA who were in Homs prior to 6RTR. No prizes for guessing the correct make and model number (with justification for guess).

Did you see the Landrovers in the final scene of 'Ice cold'? A bit of another giggle was driving East though-out the film they ended up in Tripoli!!!!

• Like 1
On 2/25/2021 at 1:22 AM, BlueBelle said:

Dear Ploughman, if you want to wade through nearly 800 pages of The Desert Railway, try this https://www.nzsappers.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/The-Desert-Railway.pdf

Stuff in there too, on Staniers.....steam puffers which may pop corks for some!

I saw a Stanier 8 in Egypt in 1954. Only a flashing look but it was parked in a siding in an awful state!

The website has been a great source of British Royal Engineers reference material for my RE research in Libya since I embarked upon my 'crazy' project...... have a good look around it.

https://www.nzsappers.org.nz/introduction/heritage-material/

This is the best place for anyone to start on anything Royal Engineers.....journals with much high-brow stuff and so on but unfortunately there are  no 'Sapper' magazines which are really really full of more useful useable information. Again I suggest, turn to the RE Museum.