Rewire front half of a 101 ambulance

At the moment I feel like fixing it with a flame thrower :evil: anyone know where I could get a front half loom? I'd like to simplifiy matters by leaving out the military lights and infra red etc. The bests have enough wire with the backend. Fortunatley that's all OK.

I ended up pulling the whole of the front loom out of mine,pinning it to a board and carefully checking every wire and splicing in new bits or soldering on new terminals where needed.It's not as scary once it's on the workshop floor!! To help I printed off and laminated a copy of the coloured and labelled wiring diagram from the files section of the Yahoo 101 group which was a great help.However carefully I refitted it it still looks like an Italian dish but I haven't had any problems since.

Daren

Hi Daren, I've come to that conclusion. First job will be to sit down and work out what I dont need. If you don't know the ambulance the is a whole heap of extras. As mine is functional I need the kit working, fortunatley the 'specials' are all right. Current thinking is to cut back to good wire and go from there. The truoble is a wire cooked on Friday, that started it off. It also appears the ignition is wired through the fuse box. For some reasons now as soon as the ignition is turned on the headlights go on, then at unpredictable times the fuse blows and kills the ignition.

Tony

Don't quote me on this but I don't think the ignition side should be fused.And no connection to the headlight side of things for sure.Ambi is different though as 24v isn't it?Electrics are one of those jobs I love to do,but struggle with.That's why I found it easier to pull it out and then refit it methodically.Went to look at a 101 Ambi over hear tonight.Don't really need another vehicle though.Bit shabby,but all there and very cheap!!!Still on English plates though so would have to go through DVS.

Daren

Hi Daren,Fortunatley the ambulance is 12 volt, but has a split charger with a second battery to feed the body lights and Esperbacher heater. Another joy. I have gone through the diagram and the troble spot appears to be at the infra red relay and switch. I'm going to take them out of circuit. Tony

Hi Tony

Yeh,the infra red relay is apparently a common fault,although from what I can gather it normally causes the lights to fail completely.I think it's the one that you can normally hear clicking when you turn the ignition on.The light switches themselves can also cause hassle as they are prone to corrode if the windscreen leaks.I had to replace mine.I also fitted a new fuse box for the same reason.After much hunting I bought one on ebay only to find later they are much cheaper through the 101 club!!!

Mine has packed up again tonight as I was desparately trying to put miles on it before Beltring! I now think it is dirty fuel from when I topped up the tank from a jerry can when I was at Overlord.Stripped the glass filter and the paper sediment one tonight and bothe full of silt even though I put a new paper eliment in only two weeks ago!!! Everything else is new!!!! It's also decided to develope a water leak!!! Happy days

Daren

Hey Darren, I also had trouble with the fuel pump earth. There is a company called Forte on http://www.forteuk.co.uk who make all sorts of stuff including fuel sytem cleaner. Unfortunatley they only supply to trade but I have a local supplier who will sell it to me. The rad cleaner is the buissness. I haven't been able to start on my 101 yet, bloody work in the way, but I reckon I will 3 or 4 hours of deep deep joy before its sorted. I've decide the best thing for now is cut back to good wiring and go from there. It does look like the lighting circuit is the main culprit. Every time I turn on the ignition I get headlights. The only link is the flaher switch and the infra red/convoy light circuits.

Thankfully job now done, till the next time. :banghead: Plenty of yellow connectore and take the infra red attachment out. New ignition switch, new coloum stalk and re make the fuel pump earth. Next time the flamethrower. :evil: