>>> 'Bolero' Sunday 1st July - Day 3

It was originally planned to have a short drive out on Sunday morning prior to entering the museum for the open day. As it worked out, this didn't happen, and after a briefing at around 10am, the plan was to assemble the vehicles at 11am on the perimeter track. They would then be ready to drive around the airfield to the museum complex for a static display throughout the day.

As military vehicles assembled near to the dispersals, the public carpark was rapidly expanding, forcing the MV's to bunch up to make more room. Now I know Jack had been drinking till 3am, but it seems that when making his first trip out to the perimeter track, he forgot his truck! Looking across to the museum, it was getting very busy over there.

At around 11:40, the convoy began slowly making it's way to the museum. It was a slow business taking me about 1 hour from the start of movement to getting parked at the museum. Parking that many vehicles at the museum, with public around naturally had to be done slowly and carefully.

Not long after 2pm, people started making there way to the edge of the crops for the best view of the flying display, expected to start around 2:15. It wasn't long before we heard the rumble of four Wright Cyclones and two RR/Packard Merlins as B-17G 'Sally B' and P-51's 'Janie' and 'Big Beautiful Doll' flew over in formation.

'Sally B' still carries the 91st Bomb Group markings it wore in the 1989 'Memphis Belle' film, though it had its chin turret refitted after the filming and as a result is not authentic.

'Janie' has the black and yellow checks of the 353rd Fighter Group based as Raydon, while 'BB Doll' has the black and white checks of the 78th Fighter Group from Duxford.

The whole flying display lasted about half an hour and had to be the highlight of the day.

Towards the back end of the afternoon, vehicles began to leave, 'though some of the long distance travellers had already gone. We packed up at 4pm and were on the road North not long after 5pm. We got home at 23:15 and had the jeep, trailer and camping gear away by 00:15. It was a tiring weekend, but a unique experience, and one that I wouldn't have missed for anything.

I took some video across the three days too, but need to edit it all together yet.

Steve

Very nice pics indeed.

My brother asked me if you flew alongside the P-51's!!

What camera you use?

The camera is a Digi SLR - Nikon D50 with a 70-300mm 1:4-5.6G zoom lens. Most flying pics are over exposed by +0.7 so that the planes are exposed correctly against the sky.

If you think they are good, wait until you see the Flying Legends photos from Duxford this weekend!!

Steve