Fined for driving 25mph on an A road

Pete Ashby

That is one reason I haul everything on trailers. Another reason, the tow vehicles get better fuel mileage than driving them, and no wear and tear on the drive train.

Before you jump me about the fun of driving one, a lot of the events we do are about 150 miles each way also......

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing devils advocate then... :)

Driving them IS a part of the fun! And, possibly apart from the Audi/BMW brigade, seeing these old vehicles on the road is a source of entertainment to other road users. So provided every effort is made to travel "out of hours" - i.e. between rush hours then providing the travel distance is reasonable (note use of that word) then why not drive? For these distances, say around 40 to 50 miles it can be non-cost effective to use a low loader.

So if you leave after rush hour finishes in the morning - say 10:00 and are either at your destination or parked up somewhere before the afternoon one starts at around 15:00 then I think such a vehicle has as much right to be on the road as any. As with all things - common sense should prevail.

Part of the problem seems to be the lack of lay-bys these days - far too many have been closed by local councils for various reasons - mainly the fact the travelling fraternity tend to set up home in them bu there are other reasons - so even if a driver wants to pull over and let a traffic queue go by - there is nowhere safely to do so.

Part of the problem seems to be the lack of lay-bys these days - far too many have been closed by local councils for various reasons - mainly the fact the travelling fraternity tend to set up home in them bu there are other reasons - so even if a driver wants to pull over and let a traffic queue go by - there is nowhere safely to do so.

This is quite right; fast modern wide single carriageways (where traffic can pass easily) tend to have fairly frequent pull ins but to be avoided as it can be dangerous emerging back into the traffic and older fashioned A roads quite often have lost their pull ins. I generally make detours onto quiet byways if possible.

However the last car I had was a Volvo which had a trip computer; which basically gave you an average speed for the last 1000 miles; although it was a fast saloon and I drove it quite enthusiastically most of the time. The average never went far above or below about 28 m.p.h. Even at the end of a long motorway trip it wouldn't affect it more than one or a fraction of a m.p.h. I concluded from this that getting stuck behind someone for a few miles didn't really matter one bit and I am always late anyway and if it is important that I get somewhere on time then I leave early and make sure. Unfortunately I think that might be a bit hard to get through to average motorist.

It has not been mentioned that it is also an offence to pull in into an unsuitable place like a bus stop, junction feeder lane or the verge.

He wasn't fined for doing 25 on a A road he was fined for being a dick and not pulling over to let people by and coursing a large qua on the road and coursing a tail back . Round hear if you get a few cars behind you a tractor pulls over and lets the cars behind by , this is what i would do if going from field to field or back the farm i used to work for .