importing a vehicle from holland

Hi guys and galls im looking at importing a vehicle from Holland its a 1943 dodge, does anyone no what costs are involved with this to get it on the road as hmrc are putting up walls at every turn, obverlesly I don't want to import it and have huge bills that out weigh the costs of getting it from there

Hi,

i'm not sure what problems you are encountering. I did a quick search and found a page on the .gov website (not my favourite site I have to say) which seems quite clear.

1 you do have to notify HMRC within 14 days if you import a vehicle, NOVA declaration. (Sadly it would appear you do this electronically by registering on the .gov website)

2 but you don't have to pay vat if it is a second hand vehicle with more than a few thousand miles on the clock. So as far as I can see there will be no VAT to pay.

3. Registering the vehicle, modern vehicles must show they are compliant, but as far as I can see if over 3500kg and more than 25 years old not a problem if under 3500kg and 10 years old not a problem and some other exemptions (buses eye.) but as its a 1943 vehicle whatever it's class etc I can't see a problem.

4 something that does come up is the correct age of the vehicle, from post on the forum I gather the best thing is to join the right historic vehicle club and get their appointed ageing officer to verify the age.

If the above doesn't cover your concerns, it would be helpful if you could outline the specific bits of the red tape you are tangled up in.

cheers,

julian

Doubtful there will be charges from a NOVA declaration

You do need to jump through that hoop though, if the vehicle has not been notified (within the specified time etc) then when you come to register it the DVLA will refuse because there has been no NOVA declaration

Is the Dodge already registered in Holland? if it has the Dutch equivilent of a V5 registration document stating year of manufacture it will make things easier to register it with DVLA,

Previous post re importing

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?47191-Importing-Vehicle-from-EU&highlight=importing+vehicle+eu

as far as I no its unregistered

I looked at importing one from Spain, transport was anything from £1-2K on a transporter, yes greater distance than you, if you know the weight it will be easier to find out if possible, I did consider the site below, they were helpful but again needed the weight

http://www.transporterhire.co.uk/car_transporters_hire.php

Another site was shiply

I looked at importing one from Spain, transport was anything from £1-2K on a transporter, yes greater distance than you, if you know the weight it will be easier to find out if possible, I did consider the site below, they were helpful but again needed the weight

http://www.transporterhire.co.uk/car_transporters_hire.php

Another site was shiply

Hi

I've just imported three British Mortar Carriers from NZ, apart from declaring them as personal use and obtaining import license (all free online) they only cost £3,000 in a 40 foot container. I did have to pay tax and import duty, plus dock handling fees. Wasn't as bad as thought,

Speak to a couple of import agencies first or transport/ container haulers.

Good luck with your purchase.

• 2 years later...