Standard UV Tilly 12hp Light Utility 4x2

Ian L

I dont think I will ever be able to carry out the work you lads do because :

A) I haven't the slightest mechanical skill,

B) dont have the space and

C) I suspect that a 'proper' restoration would cost money I aint got.

The reason I love these restoration sites is because it gives unprecedented access to vehicle details that you rarely see even at museums. Being a model maker of military vehicles, particularly RAF types, and following such builds as this, enhances my knowledge and strangely, I get satisfaction knowing there is another type out there running and should give us all a reminder of those that went before us

May I just say 'Thanks' to all those that contribute here , "more grease to your elbow, carry on the great work".

Ian

Edited by Bowser1107

great thread. I guess the good thing about the Tilly is its size, so you can restore in a home garage. My problem (apart form lack of skill) is where my vehicles are, a good hour drive away as I live in London.

The nine bay is looking really nice, those restored pieces look great

Another load of tin work gone off for shot blasting, I've taken lots of photos for paint reference as the tilly is totally original & not been messed about with so I can see things like the bumper & brackets were originally silver/grey & only had some deep bronze green on the back of the bumper post war.

I've also sent both bonnets off so I'll use the best of the 2, also lots of photos is good for reference in case anything goes missing.

The front wings look quite good in the photos but actually they're very distorted & out of shape from a minor RTA & pretty rotten along the flanges so lots of work this winter.

DSC05063.jpg

DSC05064.jpg

DSC05065.jpg

DSC05066.jpg

DSC05067.jpg

DSC05071.jpg

DSC05072.jpg

DSC05073.jpg

DSC05075.jpg

DSC05076.jpg

DSC05080.jpg

DSC05078.jpg

DSC05079.jpg

Edited by Ian L

Ian,

In case I missed it do you know the year that the Standard UV Tilly 12hp you are restoring at the moment was built?

Hi Larry not at the moment as I'm yet to go through the dating process with either the Tilly register or Standard Motor club but being the later UV type it has to be 1943-45.

The project has had a major set back today, I received a call from the shotblasters this morning to inform me that their forklift driver had run over the 2 bonnets & destroyed them.

To say I'm pissed off is a massive under statement, its unforgivable as I'm unlightly to find 1 bonnet let alone 2 !!!!!!!!!

Hi Larry not at the moment as I'm yet to go through the dating process with either the Tilly register or Standard Motor club but being the later UV type it has to be 1943-45.

The project has had a major set back today, I received a call from the shotblasters this morning to inform me that their forklift driver had run over the 2 bonnets & destroyed them.

To say I'm pissed off is a massive under statement, its unforgivable as I'm unlightly to find 1 bonnet let alone 2 !!!!!!!!!

Is that Steve Simms Ian ?

Really sorry to hear that, Ian. How can he have been so clumsy? I do hope you have good luck in repairing or replacing them. Something will turn up, I'm sure. Keep at it.

Best

10 68

Bad news indeed it's just plain careless. I will echo Paul, you must claim on his business insurance.

The really galling thing about this is that they have survived more or less intact for 70 odd years to be trashed at the last moment...... really sorry Ian I can well imagine your frustration and disappointment :(:(:(:(:(

Pete

Not good. I hope they are salvageable or can be replicated at shot blasters expense. I have seen good work by metal magic and can give you a shotblaster based in Basingstoke if you need a new one!

Hi Paul longtime no hear mate. Yes can you post the contact details on here as I'll be wanting a new one. He's not responding to my phone calls or texts and is conveniently out when I go round.

Hi Paul longtime no hear mate. Yes can you post the contact details on here as I'll be wanting a new one. He's not responding to my phone calls or texts and is conveniently out when I go round.

The guy in Basingstoke is John 07867 523455. My brother in law uses him and is always pleased with his work, and he doesn't have a forklift!

Just got back from a weeks holiday so back on with the projects before the bad weather stops play. Bigends & mains have been wire locked & split pins like the original was, I could not find any torque settings in the manual or internet but the Standard Motor club recommended 90-100 for mains, 35-40 for Bigends & 100 for head studs.

The new gasket set from the Standard motor club was an appalling fit so I ended up spending hours making new gaskets today which slowed progress.

Personally I always use Welseal on most surfaces including the head gasket & have always had great results.

DSC05129.jpg

DSC05128.jpg

DSC05091.jpg

DSC05093.jpg

DSC05092.jpg

DSC05095.jpg

DSC05100.jpg

DSC05098.jpg

DSC05099.jpg