Standard UV Tilly 12hp Light Utility 4x2

Ian L

I seem to remember that there is a firm that can make brake shoes. Do you have anything of the originals left to be restored?

No doubt you have searched the Tilly Register http://www.tillyregister.com/

and Maple Leaf Up http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Hi Larry thanks for your help, I have now located a second hand set which need relining.

The wheels were very heavily corroded & needed quite a bit of work to make them look reasonable.

I decided to have them shotblasted & powder coated (in the only green available) which has brought them up like new, smoothing out most of the deep pitting.

Eventually I will 'key up' the surface & paint them in the same colour as the vehicle.

DSC05048.jpg

DSC05049.jpg

Keep up the good work Ian; hopefully one or both will be ready for 100th Anniversary of RAF in 2018, and you might make it to RAF Northolt if they put on another open day.

Regards

Larry

Hi Larry I missed this post, yes put me down for the Humber & GPW, both RAF B/91

great pictures.

as a side note the standard factory is now a Sainsbury's, although small parts of it remain.

cov-rad(coventry heat transfer) is still there though, i was in there not long ago and it's still got character ie; still looks like a proper manufacturing place.

considering the action this area had in the war it's amazing any of it survived as long as it did.The standard was straffed by many passing bomber crews on the way back from raids, along with being a prime target itself.

Hi John could you send me the post code or road name please, I going up to Coventry soon so will get some photos. cheers

Thoroughly enjoying following your quality resto, of what is now a rare vehicle. As a whipper snapper I remember a number being around but of course nothing like the numbers of Austins and Hillmans. Remarkable progress in such a short time.

Thoroughly enjoying following your quality resto, of what is now a rare vehicle. As a whipper snapper I remember a number being around but of course nothing like the numbers of Austins and Hillmans. Remarkable progress in such a short time.

Thanks Degsy for your encouragement, I was begining to think nobody was interested in the restoration due to the lack of comments.

I doubt it, over the years we've had members who just posted the same boring comment on post's all the time presumably just to get their count up and others who, to me, seem to be over the top in their comments. I try not to fall into either camp, but the one thing I am certain of is the popularity of resto threads. Perhaps I should post more on restos

PS. just tried to read this postbut too knackered to nae any sensemus edit if I remember

I was begining to think nobody was interested in the restoration due to the lack of comments.

Definitely don't think people aint interested, I know I don't like to post in a thread too much in fear it might get sidetracked. I am watching your 5 step rebuild as when I finally get the Acmat unpacked in November (hopefully sooner) I want to follow your concept, i.e. front bit first and proceed towards the rear. Plus you are doing a fantastic job.

I've been inspired by your post! Particularly with my own tilly prject ticking along, a bit envious of the lack of unity chassis worries you would have. theres a couple about down in the antipodes and they might be a nice future project.

I'm suprised you're having trouble finding brake shoes I'd have thought they were an item adopted from an existing source, but tillies seem to be full of odd little inconsistancies, in comparison to their car equivalent.

did you need to get your rims re-rolled, or where they reasonably straight? We've managed to "just" scrape together enough tilly wheels for both cars, but have to cannibalise a few to get a good wheel. Iteresting choice to get your wheels powder coated, i can see the advantages. we went with a regime of sandblasting, prime, fish oil and Butyl mastic the seams and clean up with thinners, re prime and paint. there is a little pitting but overall they're not too bad.

good luck and keep posting, I'm more than a little interested!

Chris Collins

Edited by Chris_Collins

Interesting choice to get your wheels powder coated, i can see the advantages. we went with a regime of sandblasting, prime, fish oil and Butyl mastic the seams and clean up with thinners, re prime and paint.

Chris Collins

I have recently had a set of modern van wheels blasted and powder coated. The guy who did them tried his best but the seam between the rim and the disk on the outside is already showing rust because the powder coating is attracted to the metal each side of the crevice and very little penetrates to fill the seam. The wheels look much better than they did and I am selling the van but I would not see powder coating as a long term rust preventer on anything with narrow crevices, particularly if, like my van wheels, they have been exposed to salt. Possibly I should have painted on a phosphoric acid treatment like Jenolite to neutralise the rust before they were coated but that still would have left a negligable coverage in the bottom of the seam.

If you want to gauge the interest in this thread, check out the number of times people read it ! Blow by blow restoration blogs are always popular and often there are not many comments because the guy doing the work seems to be forging ahead successfully and there is not much to say. Like Degsy I try not to chip in with "Cor, that's realy good" etc. Not everyone can take on full restorations so being able to feel a part of someone else's - restoration by proxy! - is quite rewarding.

Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

David

I doubt it, over the years we've had members who just posted the same boring comment on post's all the time presumably just to get their count up and others who, to me, seem to be over the top in their comments. I try not to fall into either camp, but the one thing I am certain of is the popularity of resto threads. Perhaps I should post more on restos

PS. just tried to read this postbut too knackered to nae any sensemus edit if I remember

Surprisingly I remembered to look at this again and was going to edit it but I thought I'd leave it as it might remind me not to post rubbish when unfit to do so.:embarrassed: Jack before you say it, NO it wasn't the whisky, I'm totally reformed:angel:. I actually woke up at some ungodly hour on the floor having apparently slid off the chair taking the keyboard and half a cup of coffee with

me and still holding firmly on to the mouse.

If you want to gauge the interest in this thread, check out the number of times people read it!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

David

David has hit the nail on the head. Yours is a fascinating and valuable thread. Some of us try to avoid adding superfluous comments as it is the narrative of the restorer which is of greatest value and we enjoy digesting it without distractions. Even those of us whose restoration skills extend little beyond applying a bit of paint and giving the vehicle a decent service gain enormously from the experience and demonstrated skills of others. And, for me, seeing another old British military vehicle have life breathed back into it is a real pleasure. Well done and keep it up - both the vehicle and the thread.

10 68

I find threads like this absolutely enthralling, I wish I had the knowledge and more importantly the courage to attempt this kind of thing, my dabbles on the Land Rover have no comparison.

All members that do this please be assured when I can find them I do read them, sometimes they give me an idea.

Grey Funnel Line

We now have a finished short engine after a few set backs, +30 rebore & new pistons as mentioned is a previous post.

Had the crankshaft checked by an engine rebuilders who said it was perfect & didn't even need new shells but I decided to reshell it anyway & fit new thrust washers.

I had to cannibalise one of my spare Standard 12 car engines for some parts & interestingly found it has alloy conrods & only 1 oil control ring, I wonder if the military engine is of a different spec ?

Properly wont get much more done over the next 2 weeks as I'm off to the GDSF this weekend & collecting something else British on my car trailer ;) & then getting some vehicles ready for the Victory show the following weekend.

DSC05057.jpg

DSC05056.jpg

DSC05054.jpg

DSC05058.jpg

DSC05060.jpg

DSC05061.jpg

DSC05062.jpg

DSC05057.jpg

DSC05056.jpg

DSC05054.jpg

DSC05058.jpg

DSC05060.jpg