Standard UV Tilly 12hp Light Utility 4x2

Ian L

All the front end is stripped out & gone away for shot blasting in its component parts, once it arrives back next week we will refurbish each part before painting & reassembly.

The chassis & front end upto the windscreen is now being paint stripped before some aggressive wire wheeling & grinding.

DSC04560.jpg

DSC04561.jpg

DSC04562.jpg

DSC04563.jpg

DSC04564.jpg

great pictures.

as a side note the standard factory is now a Sainsbury's, although small parts of it remain.

cov-rad(coventry heat transfer) is still there though, i was in there not long ago and it's still got character ie; still looks like a proper manufacturing place.

considering the action this area had in the war it's amazing any of it survived as long as it did.The standard was straffed by many passing bomber crews on the way back from raids, along with being a prime target itself.

great pictures.

as a side note the standard factory is now a Sainsbury's, although small parts of it remain.

cov-rad(coventry heat transfer) is still there though, i was in there not long ago and it's still got character ie; still looks like a proper manufacturing place.

considering the action this area had in the war it's amazing any of it survived as long as it did.The standard was straffed by many passing bomber crews on the way back from raids, along with being a prime target itself.

Hi John it would be good if you could take some photos of the 2 factory's & post them on this thread please mate.

[QUOTE=Ian L;468694]Found an original manual on ebay for £5 the same week as I bought the Tillys & nothing since, also apart from the origional tax discs in their holder I found this, any ideas what it is ?
That is an old "C" licence or "Carriers Licence" - used during the war, I think and for a few years after!

Quite a few years after, I have some with expiry dates of 1940, 1953 and 1957, for the same vehicle (JT 2486) For another vehicle (HTX 271) an expiry date of 1965.

The C licence was for carrying goods in connection with a trade or business.

To carry for hire or reward required an A or B licence. I have a few B licences, expire 1962 and 1964, for the vehicle mentioned above(JT 2486), these are annotated with an operating radius of ten miles.

The name on them would be the user as a name/company name and not necessarily the owner, unless owner/operator. Superseded/updated by the current operators licence at some point in the past.

I expect one or two military vehicles acquired these in civilian life, all part of their history.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a massive amount of shot blasting done last week before stripping, cleaning & reassembling the axle, hubs, brakes etc & then got it into paint on Friday.

Hope to get the chassis & bulk-head prepped & in colour this week so that we can start assembly of the front end.

Inner wings & other panels are already in colour.

DSC04905.jpg

DSC04906.jpg

DSC04907.jpg

DSC04912.jpg

DSC04910.jpg

DSC04911.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Etch primmer & then in colour today, I am having to do this restoration in 5 sections as I've run out of space at my workshop so the girl friends letting me use her garage.

Front chassis & bulkhead, L/H side, R/H side, rear, & inside, its a bit inconvenient this way but at least the worst part is now done & we can get on with the engine rebuild & have it fitted & running by the end of next week :-D

DSC04955.jpg

DSC04953.jpg

DSC04956.jpg

DSC04957.jpg

DSC04958.jpg

DSC04959.jpg

DSC04960.jpg

This engine had been partly dismantled when I got the vehicle but we don't know why ? it still had the military alloy cylinder head on (civilian 12s have steel so I'm told) but it was so corroded & eaten away it was beyond repair so I had a steel one from the spare engine skimmed.

The engine had a military rebuild with +20 pistons but the rings were broken & seized and +20 pistons / rings are no nolonger available according to the Standard Motor Club so it was cheaper to buy a set of N.O.S +30 pistons / rings & have it rebored than to have a new set of rings made.

See post #14.

(Photo 1) The original pistons were +20 oversize (2 compression, 1 oil control ring) but after weeks of soaking we were unable to free off the rings & having new rings made was expensive & time consuming so we decided on new pistons.

(Photo 2,3,4) I was unable to find any new +20 but managed to get the last box of +30 (2 compression, 2 oil control rings) from the Standard motor club so had the motor bored out to fit & rebuilt the short block.

Move on 2 plus months & the engine is almost locked solid & will only just turn over with a 3' bar :confused: apon stripping we found that 3 of the oil control rings had little pieces broken off the very thin edge of the scrapers & jammed the rings tight in the bore.

New rings were not available & having a complete set made was going to be expensive.

(Photo 5,6,7) Move on a couple of weeks & a brand new N.O.S set of hepolite +30 turned up on ebay for £80 in much better condition than the N.O.S pistons from the Standard Motor Club with much heftier piston rings.

DSC04961.jpg

DSC04962.jpg

DSC04963.jpg

DSC04964.jpg

DSC04965.jpg

DSC04966.jpg

DSC04967.jpg

Edited by Ian L

Just been having a sort out of what lights I'm going to use, the manual shows Lucas all round.

It still retained the 2 Lucas blackout side lights but had lost the Lucas headlamps post war, in my 'lamp box' I managed to find 2 serviceable Lucas shells, a Lucas 'flip up' blackout lamp for the left & a plain Lucas rim for the right.

DSC05001.jpg

DSC05002.jpg

DSC05003.jpg

DSC05004.jpg

DSC05005.jpg

DSC05006.jpg

DSC05007.jpg

DSC05008.jpg

DSC05009.jpg

DSC05010.jpg

Collected this 1947 Standard 12 from the Peak district last night, the Tilly is loosely based on this vehicle so its given me a spare engine with all the ancillaries, gearbox, wheels, some suspension parts but unfortunaly the brakes are different & I need some 10" shoes for my Tilly as they are missing.

DSC05011.jpg

The manifold was very rusty so I had it shot blasted & then tided it up with a flap wheel removing some of the casting marks & deep pitting.

I sprayed it with a can of B&Q BBQ paint like I did with my Jeep 10 years ago & that has lasted like new.

DSC05030.jpg

DSC05031.jpg