towing a ferret

jim fl4

Hello, Hoping that some one might to able to help with this.

For piece of mind (in the event of a localish breakdown), I would like to fabricate an A-frame towing drawbar for the ferret, similar to the one's used by jeeps.

It has been mentioned before that towing may damage the gearbox or transfer box. If the transfer box is in neutral, would that result in the rotating wheels, (whilst been towed) not turning the gearbox at all?

If so, then its only the bearings/gears in the TB which are at risk. Looking at the manuals the TB does not appear to have an input shaft driven oil pump so I assume everything in the TB is lubed by splash, or am I wrong?

If everything is in neutral is the fluid flywheel safe being towed?

Would only be towed by a farm tractor so not fast.

Thanks

Jim

Most people, like me, do not get too worried about recovering a broken down Ferret, they simply either don' t bother or pay a bit extra with the insurance for recovery, this means they can go wherever and not worry about recovering it themselves since a Ferret can fit usually on the back of a recovery vehicle. You may for instance have a problem on a Motorway (which I use with my Ferret) recovering a Ferret with a tractor.

Heavier vehicles are a very different matter.

Diana

Hello, Hoping that some one might to able to help with this.

For piece of mind (in the event of a localish breakdown), I would like to fabricate an A-frame towing drawbar for the ferret, similar to the one's used by jeeps.

It has been mentioned before that towing may damage the gearbox or transfer box. If the transfer box is in neutral, would that result in the rotating wheels, (whilst been towed) not turning the gearbox at all?

If so, then its only the bearings/gears in the TB which are at risk. Looking at the manuals the TB does not appear to have an input shaft driven oil pump so I assume everything in the TB is lubed by splash, or am I wrong?

If everything is in neutral is the fluid flywheel safe being towed?

Would only be towed by a farm tractor so not fast.

Thanks

Jim

I tend to agree with Diana and would say just paid the cash and call a truck capable of moving it and save the time wasting exercise.

The flaw with your plan to construct an A bar is where in the heck are you going to couple it to? The Ferret was never designed to be used in conjunction with an A bar.

I am speaking foom experience, welding and fabricating is my trade. You would have to weld lugs onto the front of the vehicle unless you do what I did which was to make up a securing device to hold the mounting pints onto the Ferret, which I did to shunt empty Ferret hulls around, so a much lighter load.

I used a CVR(T) set of bars.

CS 31 Ferret 1.jpg

when towing a dingo or ferret by selecting neutral with gear selector is not enough. You need to select neutral in the forward reverse gearbox else you will blow the pre select gearbox.

Reason for that is the oil pump of the pre select gearbox is on the engine side of the gearbox to lubricate the gearbox. When in neutral the oilpump is not running but all gears do with out lubrication and will damage the gearbox

when towing a dingo or ferret by selecting neutral with gear selector is not enough. You need to select neutral in the forward reverse gearbox else you will blow the pre select gearbox.

Reason for that is the oil pump of the pre select gearbox is on the engine side of the gearbox to lubricate the gearbox. When in neutral the oilpump is not running but all gears do with out lubrication and will damage the gearbox

That's what I thought too. But see this thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?52812-Flat-towing-a-Ferret/page2

There seem to be concerns about flat towing Ferrets but I didn't get an answer when I asked what the specific problem was.

Malcolm

Hi, When I start up the ferret, put the forward/reverse lever in the middle I obviously don't get any drive. Attempt to move the lever either forwards or back and it clunks into mech. Does this not prove that when its in the middle, ie neutral its not connected to the gearbox and thus when towing only the transfer box is going round, which I thought was ok since its still being lubed by splash as has been mentioned before, or am I missing something?

Thanks to all for their input.

Jim