Is this the beginning of the end??

Mark

After hearing some rumours at the weekend and making some phone call at way past midnight, I decided to check for myself this morning and found out that it is true, the Hop Farm are building a large adventure playground in one of the fields used for the War and Peace show.

Now with the planning permission the owners have got for chalets and this adventure playground the question is how long can it remain a venue for shows let alone the W&P one, are the days numbered for large shows like this.

I for one will be sad if this does happen I know some will not especially the local residents and some MV owners, BUT I do not think anyone else will take up the mantle and do a show of this magnitude if it does close.

Recent Planning applications I've managed to dig up...

http://www.eastpeckham-pc.gov.uk/cosmos-lite/uploads/downloads/Minutes/2006/plan04dec06.pdf

-1022-

MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL’S PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD IN THE METHODIST OLD CHURCH HALL ON MONDAY 04 DECEMBER 2006 AT 19.30 HOURS..

5. The Hop Farm: Future Plans – To receive presentation from representatives from The Hop Farm

Ms Gorringe and Mr Collins were welcomed to the meeting and proceeded to present to members a broad outline of the future plans for the visitor attraction, which included:

· The 64 holiday lodges supporting the future sustainability of the business forming part of an ongoing programme of revitalisation to ensure the Hop Farm County Park continued to be a successful and popular visitor attraction

· The Hop Farm required constant innovation and evolution of its product to remain competitive

· The future plans would attempt to covey the vision for the development of facilities and visitor amenities

· The proposals seek to create a centre for Kent businesses with an emphasis on providing local products and services and supporting cottage industries with a wide range of event, group, function and wedding services.

· The accommodation scheme already granted planning permission would enhance the quality and diversity of the service offered.

· It was proposed that the development of conference space, the relaunch of cateringfacilities and stimulation of complementary leisure services would support the sustainability of the whole site

· It was envisaged that future admission to the site would be for a nominal charge with only attendance of events and the use of specific facilities attracting fees.

Ms Gorringe and Mr Collins were thanked for their extensive presentation on an ambitious project. There then followed a question and answer session during which the following issues were raised:

· An increase in day events would create more traffic and noise problems. Members were assured that the event calendar was already saturated that there was no scope to hold any further events although there was a desire to hold one high calibre concert each year

The staging and siting of speakers would use latest technology, which would reduce the sound and the impact of village residents

· Footpaths – there was a problem with maintenance which would be improved upon

· Tourers Campsite – members were concerned that this would have a huge impact on residents if it was used year round

· There were no plans to increase the present set up regarding motor sports

· Members felt it logical that the redevelopment of the ditches and ponds and the creation of outdoor pursuits opportunities at the Hop farm could complement the plans for neighbouring land by Lafarge Aggregates who were developing a nature reserve.

· Members were in favour of ongoing dialogue and the representatives from The Hop Farm agreed that the PC would receive quarterly updates.

http://www.tmbc.gov.uk/assets/developmentcontrol/listb/year07/ListB0712.pdf

TONBRIDGE AND MALLING BOROUGH COUNCIL LIST 'B'

No. 07/12

26th March 2007

List of Valid Planning and Allied Applications received from 19 to 23 March 2007

East Peckham

(East Peckham And Golden

Green)

TM/07/00861/FL

13th March 2007

Kevin Wise

The Hop Farm Country Park Maidstone Road Paddock Wood Tonbridge Kent

TN12 6PY

Erection of an activity and climbing course

Applicant: Tree Jumpers And Hop Farm Country Park

Agent: DHA Planning Eclipse House Eclipse Park Sittingbourne Road Maidstone

Kent ME14 3EN

http://www.eastpeckham-pc.gov.uk/editor/UserFiles/File/planmins21may07.pdf

-

1051-

MINUTES OF A MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL’S PLANNING COMMITTEE HELD IN THE METHODIST OLD CHURCH HALL ON MONDAY 21 MAY 2007 AT 22.00 HOURS

b. The following were considered

RESOLVED to comment as follows to TMBC (Voting was by a show of hands)

TM/07/00861/FL Erection of an activity and climbing course (Treejumpers) at

The Hop Farm Country Park, Maidstone Road, Paddock Wood

Note: Revised plans submitted indicating re-location of

children’s playground, ticket office & open sided building

NO OBJECTION in principal however the PCs previous

comments regarding the location of the proposed

development were reiterated

I'm not convinced any of this adversely effects W & P. I'm no expert and I'm not party to any inside info, but I think the chalet/lodge/huts will be away from W&P's traditional sites and the climbing thing will be either closed of built in around the show. You know how it is, there are those who say it is too big and if it shrinks, there will be complaints it has downsized. Nothing lasts forever. I'm prepared to make hay while the sun shines....

Interesting that plan shows the chalets just to the left of the main entrance where the animal farm is now, so that does leave room on the showground for the rumoured golf course then :dunno:

the Hop Farm are building a large adventure playground in one of the fields used for the War and Peace show.

I was at the hop farm today and had a nose around. Bang goes your camping spot Mark. :argh:

width=640 height=480http://www.stc-uk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DSC036.jpg[/img]

No more signs of anything being built yet. Everywhere was like a swamp though.

Thanks Paul, but I was there last Monday and our spot is OK it's down a bit from there, but it is my mate's Barry's spot though :-(

This is supposed to be temporary, but I cannot see that.

Looks like that whole section will be closed off. Even less room for camping. Lets hope they're going to use the fiels over by the exit road.

Found this on the hop farm web site

Treejumpers Adventure Centres are opening an aerial sky park at the Hop Farm, the launch will take place during the war and peace show July 18th – 22nd 2007.

Not too temporary looking to me. :-(