1968 Pattern DPM comabt cap

Falklands1982

I think what headdress can be worn in the field, or not, depends entirely who's in charge.

I prefer wearing the current cap, combat, camouflage however every time I've gone to wear it I've been told too get it off. Everyone seems to be obsessed with either wearing trimmed down issued bush hats or some civilian brand deputy dawg when not being made to don a helmet or beret.

It's only if we don't own any of the aforementioned (helmet excluded) that a person cuts about with no headdress, or if partaking an exercise that would cause the headdress to become separated and lost.

I'm pretty sure that they were issued to everyone, but rarely worn. I know that when I joined the TA in '78 they were issued to all members of my unit, but can never recall an occasion when the order of dress stipulated , 'cap, combat'. However I can recall the odd individual wearing them on exercise.

I seem to recall that they were referred to disparagingly as Afrika Korps hats, and were often worn by recruits in the regular army prior to being 'awarded' their regimental beret.

• 1 month later...

Like most, I was issued and wore the DPM combat cap early in training - until being issued a beret (about 6/8 weeks in I think). As a result there was some negativity attached to wearing the cap.

However, after joining my battalion I continued to wear the cap when permitted – mainly on exercise – for example on night time patrols and ambushes (I was Infantry). For this use I thought the cap well suited and it was worn by plenty of others too in this role. Being a small item it was easy to mislay though. Also, not being an essential item (it wasn’t on the usual kit lists) - it did not need to be replaced.

We were issued with them but told at the same time that if we were caught with on our heads we would be wearing a steel helmet for the next month. They are a typical bit of kit that absolutely no thought was put into. Chucked mine away as did most other people.

With respect – I disagree. I think the combat cap is a good design (one that’s been around over 60 years) and it fits the purpose well i.e. as field headdress. Where it suffers is in the application – SNCO’s don’t like it as they prefer the supposed smartness of a beret – which is far less practical in the field.

It’s a situation like the combat shirt/jacket – as first issued in the CS95 uniform kit range. This was designed to be worn un-tucked but for reasons of smartness its most often insisted that it be tucked in by SNCO’sand its banned from being worn as a outer garment too.

A case of inflexibility in mind – despite the best efforts of the designers and the best of intentions.

I remember when Boots Combat High were first issued – the instructions were that they should not be highly polished and we retained a pair of DMS forparade use. That plan lasted as long as the first muster parade after issue!!

Oddly - I was never issued a crap hat in the RCT - first time I saw one was when I transferred to the Artists Rifles.... It was never worn though. In the field it was invariably a case of being bare headed or wearing steel helmet (VERY rare) or the cap comforter. I found it useful to wear when driving - but that's about all.

With respect – I disagree. I think the combat cap is a good design (one that’s been around over 60 years) and it fits the purpose well i.e. as field headdress. Where it suffers is in the application – SNCO’s don’t like it as they prefer the supposed smartness of a beret – which is far less practical in the field.

It’s a situation like the combat shirt/jacket – as first issued in the CS95 uniform kit range. This was designed to be worn un-tucked but for reasons of smartness its most often insisted that it be tucked in by SNCO’sand its banned from being worn as a outer garment too.

A case of inflexibility in mind – despite the best efforts of the designers and the best of intentions.

I remember when Boots Combat High were first issued – the instructions were that they should not be highly polished and we retained a pair of DMS forparade use. That plan lasted as long as the first muster parade after issue!!

I note your comments Woofer. But apart from being worn in inistial training on my First exercises. we were never allowed to wear them 'Normally'. We did utilise them when 'Playing' Enemy in B.A.O.R Field Exercises.

I agree to a point that it was a good design for Field use. Back in the seventies-Eighties. HOWEVER, in todays modern Combat Theatres. The Kevlar Helmet really IS so comfortable. That it is no effort to be worn for long periods in the Field.

Safety being paramount of course!

Regards the Modern MTP uniform. I also disagree (To a point) that the Shirt/Jacket is worn tucked in the trouser waistband. This I agree, WILL be the case in a LOT of units. But NOT all!

Why? Because I have witnessed it with my own eyes! I concur, it does look slightly unsightly when worn 'untucked'.

BUT, WAS designed for this purpose for COMFORT/Ventilation reasons. because, it is MUCH more acceptable to be comfortable/Safe/Better served to effect a task easily IN THE FIELD. than to simply look 'Smart' in the garrison/Barracks.

Just to please Sgt Majors! ;)

Unfortunately, The old 'Tradtions' & Dicipline principles so beloved by afore mentioned Sgt. Majors. Etc.

Does NOT quite fit with the citeria & design of CS 95/ Current issue MTP Clothing!

The old ways of having a Camo Combat dress for Field use. & working Dress/Barrack dress for 'Normal' camp duties Ec.

have long since been discarded in favour of one type of uniform (Excluding Parade/No.2 dress) for 'All' work/tasks/Duties Etc.

Whilst this make Logistic & financial sense on paper. The reality of life/ the situations, is different! As you well know yourself.

My personal view was/Is. I actually like the Combat 'Crap Hat' (NO! DONT Tell anyone! ;) I concur that it is indeed comfortable & Practical.

However, the 'Stigma' connected with training battalions still adheres to it. And 'Nearly' everyone avoids being seen wearing one in most cases. As they are connected to being termed 'a Crow'! (Initisal /Basic training recruit)

And lets be TOTALY Honest Guys! NO ONE Actually enjoys being Publicly Humiliated, do they?.............(Well, I guess 'some' People do get a sexual kick out of 'That' sort of thing. But I think that remains with the Household Cavalry, & the Brigade of Guards! Ha,Ha,Ha!...ONLY JOKING, YOU Ex Household Div Guys! ;) ) LOL

We were not allowed to use berets on exercise , so wore the crap hat ,however I slashed the peak and removed the materiel in the peak so it was less likely to blow off and you could screw it up and stuff it in your pocket.

They were ok .