James ML - opinion needed

HQsignals

On 4/17/2020 at 7:05 AM, Ron said:

OK I don't know the owner. A Dutchman added the measurements and sent me the pictures a long time ago. 👌  Ron

That's my tank Ron! don't you remember?? bought it at Netley 5 years ago, very nice, it's NOS, and has no C number (yet)

And it will be used on a bike now.

Cheers,

Lex

WP_000408.jpg

Monty, the brake rod screws into a small brass section....on top of this sits the spring....

This brass section is internally threaded at the bottom (to take the rod) and also at the top to take the cable......

The cable has a small externally threaded "tube" at the end to screw into the brass section on the end of the rod. This "tube" is prevented from coming off the cable by a very small nipple soldered onto the end, and this must be the same or slightly smaller in width than the "tube" otherwise it will prevent the tube from screwing in to the brass section at the end of the rod.......

The entire ensemble fits within the brass outer casing that attaches to the fork. It can be a real bugger to fit as with everything being largely hidden inside you can't always see what you're doing ! Hence the need for decent threads and accurate soldering.......

The ML front brake assembly is similar in principle and construction to that fitted to Triumph's and Ariel's although those components are larger and not interchangeable with the ML.....

4 minutes ago, wdbikemad said:

Monty, the brake rod screws into a small brass section....on top of this sits the spring....

This brass section is internally threaded at the bottom (to take the rod) and also at the top to take the cable......

The cable has a small externally threaded "tube" at the end to screw into the brass section on the end of the rod. This "tube" is prevented from coming off the cable by a very small nipple soldered onto the end, and this must be the same or slightly smaller in width than the "tube" otherwise it will prevent the tube from screwing in to the brass section at the end of the rod.......

The entire ensemble fits within the brass outer casing that attaches to the fork. It can be a real bugger to fit as with everything being largely hidden inside you can't always see what you're doing ! Hence the need for decent threads and accurate soldering.......

The ML front brake assembly is similar in principle and construction to that fitted to Triumph's and Ariel's although those components are larger and not interchangeable with the ML.....

That's an amazing description. I'm not sure on 2 readings I quite understand but thank you. I'll see if Welbike can help ... if not it's off to the lathe. Luckily I've got lots of brass rod, both hexi and tube and lots of BA and BSF taps and dies. They've already been busy making new parts (I had to fabricate the rear brake bits).

This section from the parts list #16-30 shows the parts required and the length of the outer cable. I can give measurement tomorrow of the visual parts of the spring box and rod if you need them. Ron

Scan_20200418 (5).jpg

Here's what I got, took some time to clean and free up everything, but this is all very original, will have some copies made, as the existing copies are quite different, see the brass sleeve, dimensionally different and the threads too, and no thread for the cable adjuster.

Bottom picture is from the brake arm side.

Cheers, Lex 

90AD1A0A-4DE7-484F-AC1A-3237189E65C6.jpeg

FF2170A8-AD5E-4B0B-80F9-276E3C7BCFEB.jpeg

73A24EB3-CDEB-4076-8E69-DBE30D0AF237.jpeg

1 hour ago, monty_stubble said:

Ah...I’m seeing it now. How does the cable arrangement interact with the rod? Is it screwed into it?

Yes, the brass slider is threaded throughout, so the rod goes in on one side, and the cable ferrule on the other side. I see the pictures are all blurry, will take some better ones tomorrow.

Lex