James ML - opinion needed

HQsignals

Ha Ha We call that a "bulb"  (it's a bulb horn)  I guess pear and bulb are the same shape👍 Ron

PS. Yes original Rexene saddle covers are hard to find

Edited by Ron

Well Rich, certainly never ever any cloth covered wire on the electrical cables, just very thick rubber covered wire, it can be sourced, and proper BSC hardware top, and the cloth covered control cables also, it just takes time, just found another batch of Norton short box spanners, NOS Enfield WD-CO parts, and 1" Doherty throttles, and some more nick knacks, an afternoon well spent, but climbing into shelving and such, in an extremely dirty place has its "charmes" 😎

Cheers, Lex 

739A9D06-22E4-4895-A3D2-A395255DB13F.jpeg

Edited by welbike
Add picture

I was lucky enough to have a new old stock (NOS) set of cables for my second ML (probably the earliest survivor too with Frame number "ML 27")  and my other one (Frame "ML 3401") still has the original cables on it.......

The cables are all black lacquered cotton-covered.........fortunately, years ago now I bought a load of various new cables dating back to the 1940's/1950's plus a long length of lacquered braided cable covering. With a reasonable stock of cable ferrules, adjusters, nipples, etc, and having originals to copy, making a set for the current ML I am working on (Frame "435") has been an easy task.......

The petrol tank filler caps on both the Flea and the ML were originally painted on top. I had one NOS example still in the box and this was painted........it would soon wear off in use however....

Edited by wdbikemad

I think they are foundry casting/mould marks...? All my ML's have them on various components........

The WD ML's are fairly unusual in that they don't appear to carry the standard WD inspection stamp anywhere (the arrow or "crowsfoot" with a number beneath) on the engine......

2 hours ago, welbike said:

Yes, I used them before, if there was a way to lacquer them, they would be very nice!

Cheers, Lex 

Yes, I've been lacquering them as you speak. Seems to work well and tightens the sleeve on to the cable outer in the same way that dope tightens up linen. 

Edited by monty_stubble