What is the story about this June 1944 accident?

lynx42 Rick Cove

I somehow ended up looking at the British Govt. Hansard reports of the sittings of the houses of Parliament and I came across this:-

"HANSARD 1803–2005 1940s 1944 June 1944 20 June 1944 Commons Sitting BRITISH ARMY

Accident (Burley-in-Wharfedale)

HC Deb 20 June 1944 vol 401 c16 16

Mr. Thorne
asked the Secretary of State for War if he can give any information in connection with the 19 soldiers who were killed, out of 21 who were riding in an Army lorry, after crashing into a cottage at Burley-in-Wharfedale, Yorkshire, early on Thursday morning last.

Sir J. Grigg

No, Sir, but I am expecting a report. "

I have gone on further but have not been able to locate a report on the accident. Does anyone know about it, 19 killed in one accident and 2 survived?

Regards Rick.

And some more from the newspapers

Nineteen soldiers, all Canadians stationed at a NorthEngland camp, were killed and two seriously injured when an Army lorry crashedinto a house after failing to take a sharp bend in the road at Burley-in-Wharfdaleearly yesterday, Thursday 15th. June 1944. The lorry contained 21members of a picket. The lorry was travelling from Ilkley towards Otley and theaccident occurred on the main road near the Malt Shovel Hotel.

At an inquest which was opened on Friday 16th.June an Army doctor, who attended the men at the scene of the accident, said 17were killed outright, two died in a wardens’ post soon afterwards, and anotherdied in hospital on Thursday night. All the men died from fractured skulls, hesaid, and it was probable they had received their head injuries when the lorrystruck the side of the house.

At the resumed inquest on 23rd. June the solesurvivor, Sergeant Camile Cote, told the Coroner that in his opinion the causeof the accident was that the driver approached the corner at too great a speed.Two or three times I told the driver (Elmond Durand, who died in hospital) toslow down as he was travelling too fast. I should say he was going about 50miles an hour.

Captain P. de Martigny, a transport officer, said the typeof lorry was capable of 50 to 55 mph and could overturn very easily on cornersif not driven at a moderate speed.

Thanks Dusty, Richard and Clive for your fast response.

Hansard has a mint of questions to be answered.

Here is the memorial plaque to the Canadians at the scene of the accident. Hansard mentions only 19 dead so one of the initial 2 survivors must have died of his injuries.

Regards Rick.

sign.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

The story of the crash was told to me in the early 1980’s by my grandfather, who was a policeman in Otley in the 1940’s and attended the scene.

As a child my grandparents took me and my cousins along the route through Burley a number of times on days out, before the bypass was built. The story of the crash made quite an impression on me. As he drove us past, Granddad pointed out gouge marks along the front of the buildings by the corner on Main Street and explained that the army truck in question had taken the bend too fast and tipped over. It had a canvas top and so the soldiers inside were unprotected. The marks on the building, he said, were caused by the helmets of the men within being scraped along the wall. The story of the unfortunate Canadian soldiers had added resonance for my two cousins as they were born and raised in Toronto, where they still live today. We often discuss grandad’s police stories. He was very good at relating them, and when we were young we would badger him for all the gruesome details. He was very good at knowing just how much to tell us without going too far! (Although I have to say that the story of the origins of the marks on the building was one of his more grisly tales.) My grandfather went on to work in road safety for the Ministry of Transport later in his career. I think he was inspired to go into that line of work by the appalling accident scenes he witnessed in his early policing days, at a time when safety features in cars were non-existent. Perhaps his memories of this tragedy played into that.

It occurs to me as an adult that the impact of the vehicle itself may have been more likely to have damaged the building’s stonework, but that’s just speculation on my part and of course, unlike granddad, I wasn’t there at the time.

• 1 year later...

I realise this is quite an old post but hoping someone may see it. We are planning a commemorative service on the 80th anniversary of this accident, we would welcome any input from families or anyone with any information on the soldiers who were killed to be able to honor them. Please get in touch if you can help. 

Thanks,

Nicola

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2024 at 7:33 AM, Nicola Cromwell said:

I realise this is quite an old post but hoping someone may see it. We are planning a commemorative service on the 80th anniversary of this accident, we would welcome any input from families or anyone with any information on the soldiers who were killed to be able to honor them. Please get in touch if you can help. 

Thanks,

Nicola

Hello Nicola, 

I live in Canada. My wife and I are booked to stay at 26 main street, Burley in Wharfedale on June 14-16. (The old school house airbnb) This is, according to reports, the building struck by the truck. 

My grandfather's brother was OM Stinson. 

My birthday is June 15.

My email is vetsson@gmail.com. See you then.