Wheelbarrow EOD tracked remote control vehicle / wanted or plans wanted

robin craig

I think they were classified so I would be surprised if plans were available but definitely fun to do. It was stuff like wheelchair motors that were used. I imagine that sourcing the roadwheels and tracks are some of the hardest bits to get but if someone knows a source then let me know as I have a project as well.

Dear All,

brilliant responses, it doesnt look the hardest fabrication in the way of a replica.

I know there is one up the road in the hands of the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa, we are shaking their cage at the same time.

The hardest part would be the tracks, I am trying to think what they might be similar to as a start point for the replica. The rest is fairly simple.

Robin

I think they were classified so I would be surprised if plans were available but definitely fun to do. It was stuff like wheelchair motors that were used. I imagine that sourcing the roadwheels and tracks are some of the hardest bits to get but if someone knows a source then let me know as I have a project as well.

Its all here, tracks are -789-9114

http://1260.iso-group.com/NSNIndex/1326/1326.aspx

Well, as usual wonderful pictures Chris oops sorry Sirhc.

The wheeled one is interesting but the tracked on is what I am after.

After some input from Radiomike on another thread we have been enable to eliminate the Chieftain fan belt as the track for the unit as it is smooth.

Quite a lot there to go from to make a good start on a replica, thank you Chris

Robin

Dear Ashcollection,

I have a friend who posts here (sometimes, when he isnt cranky) who works for the Cold War Collection is doing a Saracen and it is going into 321 EOD colours etc.

I want to encourage them to flesh it out with a wheelbarrow and have the intent to make a replica for them as I think it is such a cool gadget and I recall them on the telly as the latest and greatest hi tech machine in the troubles.

I am also going to get them to see if they can get a museum loan from the Canadian War Museum of the one in their collection as an alternate idea and to relieve me of work!

All good

Thanks

Robin

• 2 months later...

I have uncovered an amount of info on an Albanian army website which has provided a wealth of information.

I had hoped to acquire a copy of a parts manual but with the info from this webpage and by capturing the various images on their own and enlarging them there is enough to get us going now.

Add to that the kind help from Sirhc who has found a few pairs of track for sale and I think all we are missing is time and money, so should be an instant project in the next 10 years.

There is enough info from the images to reverse engineer a very close replica now.

I am very happy

Here is the link

http://www.aaf.mil.al/english/index.php/armatimet-e-pajisjet/1941-armatimet-e-pajisjet-brigada-logjistike

Robin

I have uncovered an amount of info on an Albanian army website which has provided a wealth of information.

I had hoped to acquire a copy of a parts manual but with the info from this webpage and by capturing the various images on their own and enlarging them there is enough to get us going now.

Add to that the kind help from Sirhc who has found a few pairs of track for sale and I think all we are missing is time and money, so should be an instant project in the next 10 years.

There is enough info from the images to reverse engineer a very close replica now.

I am very happy

Here is the link

http://www.aaf.mil.al/english/index.php/armatimet-e-pajisjet/1941-armatimet-e-pajisjet-brigada-logjistike

Robin

Hi thats probably where some of the re-furb Mk7's went about 10 years ago, I think most to the rest where gifted around poorer country's in the middle east who couldn't afford MK8-B's or similar.

• 1 month later...

Dear Robin

We have a complete fully operational Wheelbarrow Mk. ex-police SpecOps CBRN plus a few semi complete but easy to fix RedFire Wheelbarrow, the Falklands de-mining twin track conversions. My email is bauer@civil-defence.org and will enable you or your friend access to take pictuers and measurements. If you had the funds this lot is for sale.

We have a fully operational ex-police SpecOps CBRN Project Wheelbarrow Mk.8 plus a few RedFire twin tacked Wheelbarrow ex-Falklands demining Ops in their transit crates. If anyone wants t take measurements, photos or even make offers - email me at bauer@civil-defence.org

Can you post some photos and an indication of price?

Cheers,

Terry

• 3 years later...