V55/5 Euro import 1973 Mutt mayhem!

Hi,

I have a recently acquired 1973 M151A2 Mutt and I am (was) about to submit a V55/5 First Vehicle Tax and Registration.

The vehicle was imported from Belgium.

I have the original Dutch Registration documents with all dates and serial number corresponding.

I have a NOVA acknowledgement from HMRC.

I have an age verification letter.

So - what class of vehicle should I register it?

Is it exempt from Road Tax (after the First Vehicle Tax)?

As a vehicle built for the military it IS exempt from Type Approval?

And does that mean I do not need to complete CO Particulates HC NOx and Sound Level details?

Does it require an MOT? Which throws up the no seat belts, red rear indicators etc questions

AND if it does require one does that mean it has to be trailered to my local MOT station

AND anyway my insurers have now recorded it as Laid Up because of the time it has taken to gather all the documents for registration, so definitely no road use.

I am a mature professional adult who regards myself as reasonably intelligent but (perhaps early onset?) I have trouble getting my head round all this!

OK not really mayhem but – help – please!

:nut:SteveL

Hi Steve,

DVLA have a set of guidance notes to accompany the V55/5 which seem to be a well-kept secret, but if you get that it tells you a lot about what needs to be completed. You do not need to fill in anything other than the basics. The complex stuff like NOX emissions is only for more modern vehicles. Fill in whatever you can and leave the rest blank.

If it is genuinely 1973 it will have to be registered as a a 'Historic Vehicle' and will be zero-rate tax.

It is exempt from type approval due to age.

It will need an MoT due to its age. You are entitled to drive it to and from a pre-booked MoT without registration as long as it is insured and roadworthy. For the MoT it will need front seatbelts and the rear lights will need to be sorted as the American arrangement of flashing is unacceptable. It is not too bad a job to re-wire to achieve this.

Note that it does not require windscreen washers as the windscreen can fold down.

- MG

So in easy steps!!

Don't worry about type approval etc, just complete the minimum amount of information on the V55

Its taxation class will be Historic it therefore follows its FOC!

Yes it does need an MOT and therefore must comply with C&U regs (lights etc)

Insure it on the chassis number and you can drive it to a pre booked test (and home if it fails,, providing its not dangerous)

get your insurers to change to road use........you are after all paying them!!

The DVLA website contains some good info on the process

Hope that helps (if not pm me)

Cheers

Hi Steve,

DVLA have a set of guidance notes to accompany the V55/5 which seem to be a well-kept secret, but if you get that it tells you a lot about what needs to be completed. You do not need to fill in anything other than the basics. The complex stuff like NOX emissions is only for more modern vehicles. Fill in whatever you can and leave the rest blank.

If it is genuinely 1973 it will have to be registered as a a 'Historic Vehicle' and will be zero-rate tax.

It is exempt from type approval due to age.

It will need an MoT due to its age. You are entitled to drive it to and from a pre-booked MoT without registration as long as it is insured and roadworthy. For the MoT it will need front seatbelts and the rear lights will need to be sorted as the American arrangement of flashing is unacceptable. It is not too bad a job to re-wire to achieve this.

Note that it does not require windscreen washers as the windscreen can fold down.

- MG

Mike, just out of interest how would this work with say, a 1961 Hotchkiss......which would also need an mot.

I may be wrong on this, but I think it does need windscreen washers. As I recall, C&U Regs allow for a vehicle to have neither wipers not washers if "an adequate view to the front can be obtained without looking through the windscreen" but if either wipers or washers are present, then both must be fitted. All vehicles with wipers are therefore required to have washers, whether or not the wipers are a legal requirement.

There has always been some uncertainty about what constitutes and opening windscreen, at least one which which negates the need for wipers and washers, but the pragmatic approach which has been been adopted by my local MOT tester (so he told me about ten years ago) was that if the screen needs tools to be opened or folded, it isn't adequate, if it doesn't need tools, then it is and wipers and washers are not needed. His view therefore was that when I presented my 86" Series 1 Land-Rover for test, it needed wipers since the hoodsticks are atteched with nuts and bolts to the windscreen frame. My 80" did not, since it used wingnuts! I have no idea if this has any legal foundation - I rather doubt it.

A more practical approach in my opinion is take the line that a windscreen that can be opened whilst driving the vehicle requires no wipers, but one which requires the driver to stop does.

Information regarding washers and wipers from the MoT testers manual:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_820.htm

As for what defines an opening windscreen I would suggest it should be one which is designed to open or fold. A Land Rover windscreen is designed to fold as it has hinges, regardless of what method is used to secure it up or down. I would therefore suggest that anything from a S1 to a latest spec Defender should be exempt from needing washers. Good luck convincing the tester of that though! With the older vehicles it is unfortunately very much up to the tester's interpretation.

Note also that the tester is obliged to test the vehicle as presented so you can always lower the screen before you drive in.

- MG

Seat belts must be fitted to vehicles manufactured from 1965

Thank you I was not aware, of that.

I understand the need for seatbelts but the law is a bit of a ar*se, car manufactured 23:59 on 31/12/64 no belts, car manufactured 00:01 01/01/65 belts required......:shocked::shocked:

I know I've made it sound simple.....lol.

Hi Steve

Hope you will report back on your progress and eventual inspection. Even though I'm on the other side of real enjoy here about the registration and inspection in other parts of the world.

You can imagine the fun I had registering and inspection of 3 right hand drive CMPs in the US. As you suspect each experience has different, so rules maybe rules but interpretation of the rules vary.

Cheers Phil

Information regarding washers and wipers from the MoT testers manual:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_820.htm

As for what defines an opening windscreen I would suggest it should be one which is designed to open or fold. A Land Rover windscreen is designed to fold as it has hinges, regardless of what method is used to secure it up or down. I would therefore suggest that anything from a S1 to a latest spec Defender should be exempt from needing washers. Good luck convincing the tester of that though! With the older vehicles it is unfortunately very much up to the tester's interpretation.

Note also that the tester is obliged to test the vehicle as presented so you can always lower the screen before you drive in.

- MG

Latest spec Defenders (Td5 and Tdci) don't even have hinges any more.

Latest spec Defenders (Td5 and Tdci) don't even have hinges any more.

Indeed. I was talking to a Land Rover mech at a party last night and he reckoned the last ones to have had actual hinges were early 2000's. After that they have a bracket which looks like a hinge. They still have a completely separate screen which can be removed with tools, but I think that's stretching the description of 'opening' to breaking point :-).

- MG