What fuel pump is correct for Austin K6?

Asbjørn

Hello

We were picking up an Austin K6 from the other side of the country (Norway) and driving it home when we suddenly got a fuel supply issue. The fuel pump was not pumping, bypassed it with an electrical pump and made it home ok.

Now it's time to correct the problem, we suspected a bad diaphragm, but when I took out the pump I discovered the arm was broken.

12004060_10156054357440066_1378891710571783673_n.jpg

I silver soldered the arm and got a really strong bond, still it broke immediately when turning the engine. I suspect the pump might be wrong for the engine. Can anybody confirm if "AC Type U 6H6 965" is the correct one please?

unnamed.jpg

Edited by Asbjørn

Asbjørn, I'm not sure if the K6 and K9 pumps are the same; however, I had a look at a K9 pump this morning. If it helps, the tag number on the K9 pump is XP 1111 D5 and the arm is 7850059. The pump body (AC type U) is correct.

It's difficult to compare the two pumps without having them next to each other. However, I'd say the lever on the K9 pump is slightly shorter and more curved than the one you have. That of course is not definitive as I can't recall the engine differences and it would depend whether the block casting / machining and camshaft are the same for the later (Series 2) engine.

It seems to me there is something odd about the way yours has broken. For yours to have broken the way it has, the cam would have to be the wrong side of the pump operating lever to exert a downwards force on the lever. In that case, there should be a witness / polish mark on the tip / inside face of the lever (which actually, I fancy I can see in the photo?), and no fresh polishing on the normal running face. That might confirm it was the wrong lever.

It does look like someone may have got the arm the wrong side of the cam. With this long lever could be possible. The arm number is correct and pumps fitted with that particular arm were also used on the following Austin military vehicles;

Austin 8hp and 12hp cars, K2, K3, K5, K6 lorries, A40 car and the last one, Austin Champ (also listed for Wolseley B. Jeep in Army Vocab, assume the B meaning British!)

I cannot find the two numbers that Sean has quoted, nor reference to an Austin K9, but there is a reference Austin 1 ton, which could be K9 and has a different arm number, so looks to rule out the postwar 4 litre engine.

Thank you both for your answers, I didn't think about the break in the arm being on the wrong side untill you mentioned it. There is a witness mark on the wrong side as you said, so the conclusion must be that the pump was correct, but installed with the arm on the wrong side of the cam.

Also thanks for confirming the pump and arm type.

I will try to solder the arm back on and see if it works when installed correctly. :D

Do you know if there is an online manual or parts list somewhere?

Richard, thanks for chipping in. I don't have the relevant parts list and have limited experience with the Series 1 engine, but it looks as though it must be different in detail to the Series 2. It's likely the 1 ton reference is to the Series 2 / K9.

Asbjørn, on those pumps with a long lever you sometimes have to fit them at an angle to get the lever in through the hole, and if you're not careful the lever can conflict with the cam, though in my experience you can usually feel if it's trying to go round the wrong side.

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind when installing the pump again.

I need to make new fuel pipes between the filter/pump and pump/carburetor, the old ones were not usable as patterns. If anybody could post a picture that shows how they were routed I would really appreciate it. Either from the manual or from an actual K6 or similar Austin.

• 1 year later...

opening up thread again to ask about this pump I have and trying to confirm it is for a K9 as numbers seem to be different from previous replies above. Any help appreciated as having trouble getting it to pump fuel although it does it be hand pumping the lever as well as the hand primer.

thanks

Gary

20161013_202045_resized.jpg

20161013_201536_resized.jpg

20161013_201551_resized.jpg

20161013_201846_resized.jpg

20161013_202009_resized.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Could you tell me any information about your K5? I would like add them to the Austin military lorry register.

Chassis No. Contract No. Vehicle No. year of manufacture and any history

Thanks Radek

• 2 years later...
On 10/21/2016 at 11:09 AM, gazzaw said:

opening up thread again to ask about this pump I have and trying to confirm it is for a K9 as numbers seem to be different from previous replies above. Any help appreciated as having trouble getting it to pump fuel although it does it be hand pumping the lever as well as the hand primer.

thanks

Gary

20161013_202045_resized.jpg

20161013_201536_resized.jpg

20161013_201551_resized.jpg

20161013_201846_resized.jpg

20161013_202009_resized.jpg

Bumping this as been some years and still looking for proper k9 pump if any more info, thanks