Saracen 05FF34

Bob Grundy

I am in the process of removing the B80 from a Mk6 Saracen, (engine compartment parts available) and I have noticed the engine is painted grey and distributer yellow. I have not come across these colours before. Would it be a certain workshop scheme ?

Bob might the engine and distributor have come from an instructional vehicle? There are prescribed colours for the various systems in a vehicle. I posted the list a little while ago but can't find the thread using my phone.

Edited by fv1609

That's interesting Clive, however there is nothing obvious with this Saracen that it was an instructional vehicle, looks pretty standard to me. The data plate on the left hand side is different to the oblong style, this one being rectangular. I will send a photo when I can get at it, engine still in at the moment.

It came from Northern Ireland a few days ago. there is some Light Stone on the hull under the mudguard the original paint has been sand-blasted off. I will enquire with the previous owner as to its history.

This sounds like one of the diverted Saracens sent to NI, a cancelled export order I think.

This is the B80 that is the different colour with 05FF34 behind, now an empty hull destined for Laser Combat in Liverpool

Bob,

I see there is no engine number plate but adjacent (below front side tappet cover) there appears to be a rebuild plate possibly? What does it have on it? Grey was used on the Civilian versions of B Range.

The plane! the plane!, sorry its a plate, just shows my age

Bob,

I do not recognise that plate and think it was an outside contractor, hence the colour, part number is nothing like a NSN either. Has it got the record card container on it (?), usually by thermostat housing, usually last rebuild is documented on it.

Bob,

I do not recognise that plate and think it was an outside contractor, hence the colour, part number is nothing like a NSN either. Has it got the record card container on it (?), usually by thermostat housing, usually last rebuild is documented on it.

It should be there but never one fitted

• 6 years later...